HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
There's a great opportunity for Aquilini to do something special here, especially in light of the magnificent projects they've done in the past. Like MonctonRad mentioned, we're just in the rumour phase, let's wait and see what's proposed.
Maybe, but you’d think there would be rumours of a major development rather than just a tenant restaurant. If Aquilini allows for destruction of part of this building in order to rebuild for a single restaurant, then I doubt they have any serious intentions of major construction for this property anytime soon.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Maybe, but you’d think there would be rumours of a major development rather than just a tenant restaurant. If Aquilini allows for destruction of part of this building in order to rebuild for a single restaurant, then I doubt they have any serious intentions of major construction for this property anytime soon.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Such a prime location though. I cringe when I see the surface parking lot and the old bus station. What a waste of prime real estate.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 6:39 PM

I think if the rumours are all true, there will be more to it than just a standalone restaurant. It may not be anything massive, but I can picture maybe 2-3 stories, restaurant and then the hotel adding new conference space on the upper floors for the hotel.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 11:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I think if the rumours are all true, there will be more to it than just a standalone restaurant. It may not be anything massive, but I can picture maybe 2-3 stories, restaurant and then the hotel adding new conference space on the upper floors for the hotel.

I would agree.

I think whatever is built here will be more than a single level restaurant. If the rumours are true, then this will apparently be the new house restaurant for the Crowne Plaza. It will therefore have to be physically integrated with the hotel, and I can also foresee a new Main Street entrance for the hotel in this addition, possibly with a drop off for bus tours. I could foresee other hotel amenities included in this addition as well - why not a conference centre and ballroom too? It would make sense to locate a conference centre immediately next to food services. The new building will have to be at least two storeys.

If constructed appropriately, whatever is built here could eventually serve as a podium for a second tower to be built at some point down the road. I have a feeling this will only be phase one of a bigger project in the future.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 12:32 AM

It's encouraging that at least something is finally happening. Aquilini acquired the whole block over 10 years ago and have been just sitting on it. At least we now know that Moncton is on their radar! It would be great if they had (future) bigger plans for the rest of the land.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 5:48 PM

I wonder if we could see a renovation of the exterior of the existing building at the same time, or potentially as like a “phase 2” of a project. This is technically almost already like a phase 2, with phase 1 being the complete interior renovation of the existing hotel.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 6:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Perhaps. At the very least, it would be nice to see the entire podium getting a refresh.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 6:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Drone shot of the Tire Shack Brew Pub expansion:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/infinityaerials.ca

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Drone shot of the Tire Shack Brew Pub expansion:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/infinityaerials.ca
There is so many projects going on downtown that I had completely forgot about this one.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 2:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The move by Fahda's downplaza at the Crowne Plaza Hotel is confirmed (by Fahda herself). The move will be in mid October. A newly renovated unit closer to the Main/Highfield intersection and the Avenir Centre. This will be good for her.

As to the reason for the move, Fahda was apparently not at liberty to say. She has been sworn to secrecy regarding any future construction plans for the commercial strip attached to the Crowne Plaza, and, also any potential upcoming tenants but at least some of the rumours are absolutely 100% true!

Will we see a new commercial strip being built? Will this be designed to be part of a potential larger development? Are the rumours about Baton Rouge true???

In my experience, once rumours get started, the majority of the time there is a large kernel of truth there. I think Baton Rouge is coming.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Sep 26, 2022 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
least some of the rumours are absolutely 100% true!
Which ones are those? Are you referring simply to Fahda's move or are you privy to additional information that you cannot divulge yet?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:03 PM

Is Fahda's going to be taking the space that's right on the corner?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Which ones are those? Are you referring simply to Fahda's move or are you privy to additional information that you cannot divulge yet?
No, just Fahda's move, but there has to be some reason for the move. I think the reason is to allow construction to occur.

Everything else is pure speculation, but, there are well placed rumours out there about a new house restaurant for the Crown Plaza which may be Baton Rouge.

If they are building a new restaurant, then why not some other substantive addition to the hotel at the same time? This is a prime spot. A simple restaurant addition would be a waste. I think there's more going on here.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Is Fahda's going to be taking the space that's right on the corner?
Right here:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Right here:

OK Thanks. So that leaves the corner unit vacant. It's a prime location. It will be interesting to see what eventually happens with it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 12:12 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Changing Face of Downtown Moncton:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 8:00 PM

The old SMT bus station next to Fahda's is now listed for lease on the Cushman and Wakefield web site. It doesn't appear as though there'll be a major project that would encompass their whole property along Main Street over to the corner.

https://cwatlantic.com/listings/961-main-street/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:55 AM

Quote:
The old SMT bus station next to Fahda's is now listed for lease on the Cushman and Wakefield web site. It doesn't appear as though there'll be a major project that would encompass their whole property along Main Street over to the corner.
The Aquilinis may have other things on their minds at the moment.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6598208

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 3:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A new nail salon (Prettydigits Salon) is moving into this somewhat iconic building on the NE corner of High and John:

The building is on the Canadian Registry of Historic Places and is listed as an "example of an art deco commercial building."

It is good to see it being repurposed.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 1:10 AM

Brix coffee shop is now open in the LOL building on St-George. Beautiful, high-end decor and good coffee. Perhaps just a few kinks to iron out but I’m sure they’ll end up doing great. They also plan on using the space as a bar during evenings. I can see this double concept being popular with UdeM nearby.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces