HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:54 PM

Update on 170 Victoria.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:02 PM

Hilton Garden Inn, going with wood construction on the 2nd floor up cutting cost? I suppose, since this is only 4 stories on top of the main floor. 5 floors total, correct? EDIT: found my answer. 3 floors on top of main floor.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Less expensive, and quicker too I imagine.

I suspect they would like to have this building enclosed by December to allow interior construction to carry on unimpeded over the winter.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:32 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I was watching ctv the other night and they did a story on 62 abandoned houses in downtown moncton and how the city is worries about break-ins over the winter. How is Moncton doing so well but these homes are abandoned and are in pretty rough shape.

Edit: Here is the story:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctv...1_4648846.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I was watching ctv the other night and they did a story on 62 abandoned houses in downtown moncton and how the city is worries about break-ins over the winter. How is Moncton doing so well but these homes are abandoned and are in pretty rough shape.

My wife works for one of the companies referenced in the article. The stuff she and her crews has to deal with is insane.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post

Every city has grotty neighbourhoods unfortunately.

In Moncton, the problem is compounded because we seem to be a magnet for homeless people from around eastern and northern NB, and a couple of years ago the city cracked down on unregulated rooming houses in the city. The people occupying these rooming houses suddenly became homeless as well, hence the rise of the tent cities. In the wintertime, the homeless want to get in out of the cold, and will break into any vacant building they can find, which in turn becomes a fire risk, hence the problem.

The new shelter on Albert Street can't open soon enough........

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:13 PM

Ocean Limited Way

I work across from the large, empty field on Ocean Limited Way. The field has been a hotspot for "interesting" activities for some time, which we in our office have watched with a mixture of horror and intrigue. Over the past few weeks, the field has been surveyed, then drilled by LANTech. This week, it was mowed by a big tractor, and further surveyors are out there today.

There is a sign facing Vaughn Harvey that shows the vision for the development beyond just the 2 buildings already in place. It has been up for some time, so it is nothing new or groundbreaking. Does anyone have any insight on what is happening? Is there a new building in the works that will move us toward the vision shown on the sign? We're all hopeful for a place to eat as all food options require a drive. We'd also like to see a bit more legitimate activity in the field that might discourage illicit use of this space.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.0917...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevourahn View Post
I work across from the large, empty field on Ocean Limited Way. The field has been a hotspot for "interesting" activities for some time, which we in our office have watched with a mixture of horror and intrigue. Over the past few weeks, the field has been surveyed, then drilled by LANTech. This week, it was mowed by a big tractor, and further surveyors are out there today.

There is a sign facing Vaughn Harvey that shows the vision for the development beyond just the 2 buildings already in place. It has been up for some time, so it is nothing new or groundbreaking. Does anyone have any insight on what is happening? Is there a new building in the works that will move us toward the vision shown on the sign? We're all hopeful for a place to eat as all food options require a drive. We'd also like to see a bit more legitimate activity in the field that might discourage illicit use of this space.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.0917...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
WOW! I need to go back a year or two in the archives of skyscraper pages to dig up that proposed project.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
WOW! I need to go back a year or two in the archives of skyscraper pages to dig up that proposed project.
I just found this site on Colliers that shows the graphics from the sign. Hopefully this is finally coming to fruition!

http://www.collierscanada.com/7689#.XbBy6ehKiUk

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'll post the site plan for future reference.

There is nothing planned AFAIK.

The parcel on the NW corner of Millennium & Vaughan Harvey came up before city council a couple of months ago, but this was only to get a variance to maintain it's suburban commercial designation as the time period for the prior variance had lapsed. This is the parcel where ultimately you'll be able to get your noon time lunch fix, but you may still have to wait a few years for this to happen.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'll post the site plan for future reference.

There is nothing planned AFAIK.

The parcel on the NW corner of Millennium & Vaughan Harvey came up before city council a couple of months ago, but this was only to get a variance to maintain it's suburban commercial designation as the time period for the prior variance had lapsed. This is the parcel where ultimately you'll be able to get your noon time lunch fix, but you may still have to wait a few years for this to happen.
I work in one of the offices near the Assurion building and can say the site is a beehive of activity this week. They have cleared all the brush and tall grass. Today surveyors were busy driving stakes and surveying the lot. I think something is afoot here.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 10:18 PM

I've heard a prominant business downtown is decamping for Millennium Blvd. due to parking.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 10:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGuy View Post
I've heard a prominant business downtown is decamping for Millennium Blvd. due to parking.
If this is true, I imagine that's likely a loss for the Blue Cross Centre, since tenants of that building were very unhappy over parking issues. The last straw likely was when the city nixed the proposed surface parking lot at the former downtown Co-op location.

Slate Management was vary unhappy with city council's decision.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...late-1.5144322

Quote:
About 1,200 people work at the Blue Cross Centre. Slate said it has a waiting list for parking spaces that includes 500 vehicles.
If it's a "prominent business" perhaps associated with the Blue Cross Centre, I wonder if it could be a part of Blue Cross itself, or perhaps ACOA. Those are the two most prominent tenants in the building.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 10:54 PM

City of Moncton @CityofMoncton
·
Highfield St, between Main St and Gordon St, will be closed to through traffic from 7 am to 7 pm on Thursday, October 24 and Monday, October 28 to allow for the installation of storm, sanitary and water pipes for the new hotel.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I took a drive through the Emmerson Business Park today, and yes, with all those stakes in the ground, it does look like something may be afoot.

The image below shows where the staked off land is:

If it is indeed a "large downtown business" fleeing the core over parking concerns, this is indeed unfortunate, but perhaps this will light a bomb under city hall regarding parking concerns in the core.

The assumption is that if there is so much surface parking in the core, then how can there possibly be a parking problem? Obviously however there is. Surface parking is a highly inefficient way of warehousing the vehicles of downtown employees. Instead, we should be building multilevel parking structures, both to increase parking availability, and to free up existing surface parking space for alternate development (including downtown apartment buildings, condos and affordable housing options). This is the only way forward for the city.

Maybe the loss of a major downtown employer (if this is indeed what is happening here) will finally goad city hall into action on this issue........

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Clos restaurant in the former Pastalli location on Main Street is apparently planning to open on November 1st.

They will serve "modern cuisine" and have both lunch and dinner menus.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are beginning work on the fourth floor of the Hilton Garden Inn. The structure is now at full height (along it's northern flank), but work still has yet to begin on the second floor on the portion of the building adjacent to the Dominion Public Building.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 24, 2019 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Clos restaurant in the former Pastalli location on Main Street is apparently planning to open on November 1st.

They will serve "modern cuisine" and have both lunch and dinner menus.
They have a very posh website up already. Looks great!

https://www.closrestaurant.com/home

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hilton Garden Inn - Current status:

Now that the north part of the building is at full height (four floors), you can form an appreciation for the ultimate effect this building will have on the urban face of the west side of this block of Highfield Street. I think it will fit in quite well with the Dominion Public Building and also the former YMCA.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Hilton Garden Inn - Current status:

Now that the north part of the building is at full height (four floors), you can form an appreciation for the ultimate effect this building will have on the urban face of the west side of this block of Highfield Street. I think it will fit in quite well with the Dominion Public Building and also the former YMCA.
Wow...talk about in-fill in that spot...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces