HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 6:13 PM

^ Well now that depends. For a business that can actually be very expensive. All the clients they'd have to inform, changing marketing materials, business cards, letterheads, and signage. Say you just ordered $10,000 worth of printed materials and the new road signs go up in a month. Now they don't match up, and your materials are outdated. I remember this happened to a business I used to work for. It was a change they accepted without complaints but was costly. Since it sounds like there aren't many businesses on this street, it looks like it'll be alright, but if it becomes a trend citywide you might have more pushback.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 3:25 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

If MLK Blvd, a major commercial road and state highway lined with a diverse array of businesses that cuts through Lansing's southwest side could get a formal renaming in the late 80's/early 90's, these renamings really aren't a problem. The cost to business is a greatly exaggerated worry that never pans out to be unnecessarily burdensome.

Anyway, the Deluxe Inn at Main and Washington is now rubble. The site will be completely cleaned up over the next two weeks and be planted with grass while waiting for redevelopment. This is the fastest I've ever seen the city prep for redevelopment, which I hope means they are going to aggressively seek redevelopment. Thank god for the work of the land bank and EDC. These guys are tenacious and bullish on the redevelopment of the city.

Last edited by LMich; Sep 15, 2010 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 4:57 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Thank god for the work of the land bank and EDC. These guys are tenacious and bullish on the redevelopment of the city.
Not to mention far too eager to demolish almost anything they get their hands on.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 5:05 AM

Such as? I'm genuinely confused, because comparable to other similar agencies across the state, at least when it has counted the most, both the land bank and the EDC have been rather good at looking at preservation before demolition. The EDC in particular has made work projects elsewhere that would have went the demolition route.

In other news, the LSJ reported yesterday that Waverly and East Lansing schools, two inner-ring districts directly to the west and east of Lansing, have posted unexpected enrollment gains. This is unexpected because while central city districts all around the state and country regularly post enrollment losses, inner ring suburban districts have also reported losses across Michigan. Hopefully, this is a sign of regional and state population decline stabilizing. This can't be chalked up to schools-of-choice, either, because these districts had been posting losses since the program started.

Last edited by LMich; Sep 15, 2010 at 6:48 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 2:34 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Such as? I'm genuinely confused, because comparable to other similar agencies across the state, at least when it has counted the most, both the land bank and the EDC have been rather good at looking at preservation before demolition. The EDC in particular has made work projects elsewhere that would have went the demolition route.
I'm sorry, I can't necessary speak to the EDC, but I work closely with all mid-large cities in this state, and their associated land banks. In terms of housing, your statement is not true. Residents on the east side, for instance, have formed a housing task force to provide opposition and a public voice to these seemingly willy-nilly demolitions, simply because the city and the land bank have received a windfall in federal stimulus dollars and need to spend it or lose it. The east side has gone so far as to plead with the land bank to allow LCC students rehab some of the homes as part of an energy efficiency rehab training. Highly visible, beautiful houses are slated for demolition with no planning foresight. There is going to be a clean sweep in the coming years with the NSP program, with Phase I underway and Phase II ramping up now, identifying properties for similar actions on a much larger scale. The combined consortium agreement between Ingham County and the City of Lansing for NSP2 is $17.4 million. The average demo costs $10k. That's a lot of demolitions if that's how you choose to expend the funds (from 5 categories of eligible activities). Ingham County plans to demolish 165 homes in Lansing within the next 18 months with NSP alone, and that doesn't even include any agreements with the city to use annually allocated CDBG or the millions of dollars in FEMA funds they've received. Sure, Lansing has not had the mass demolition projects of, say, Saginaw, Flint, Detroit, Benton Harbor, etc. But one can argue that since we are in much better economic shape, there is a strong argument to support many more rehabs in strategic locations to strengthen those neighborhoods that have just fallen on hard times yet are still very viable, unlike many neighborhoods in the aforementioned cities.

Last edited by subterranean; Dec 10, 2010 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 5:26 AM

Very fair point about the land bank, specifically, and specifically concerning singel-family detached homes. I'm an opponent of the NSP because it's WAY to weighted towards demolition. I think of the 200+ units part of this program, only 90 or so will be saved and less than a dozen new homes will actually be built. Yeah, NSP and it's child are misdirected.

My praise was directed more at our most unique and large structures, and more at the EDC who've made preservation projects work that even I didn't think were doable.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 4:11 PM
Registered Ugly

Although not necessarily development related, here's an article in the Lansing City Pulse about Lansing Park(ing) Day 2010 that I helped setup/promote. I've also made a short vid.

Quote:
For one day, Lansing turned a small part of downtown from public parking to a public park.

By 11 a.m., local organizers of PARK(ing) Day 2010 had green Astroturf laid down across three parking spaces on Washington Square near Allegan Street. Ring toss boxes were set up to pass the time within the plant-lined space. Joe Manzella, vice president of local nonprofit Accelerate Lansing, said the point of the modest event was to create a dialog about a growing problem.
Lansing City Pulse - Park(ing) Day

Video:

Last edited by subterranean; Sep 20, 2010 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 3:10 AM

The LSJ had a story on the $24 million Market Place development, today.

The developer is obligated by the development agreement for the project to start it no later than spring of next year. The first phase will include an 85,000 sq ft, 6 story apartment building with 84 units split between one, two, and three bedroom apartments. The one bedrooms will start at $750 a month and the three bedrooms will go for as high as $1,400. The second phase will include another six story building, but it wil include up to 95 units and ground-floor retail.

In other news, the city is still pushing forward to find the funds for the public ice rink adjacent to Market Place and near the City Market.

The city is also looking to use TIFA funds to reconstruct the Lansing Center-Radisson pedestrian bridge over the Grand River in this same area.

All this comes a week after the Lansing 150 Foundation announced the sculpture chosen to sit on the riverfront near the City Market. Named "Inspiration", the 20-foot tall stainless steel twisted arch is by California sculptor James T. Russell. The $275,000 cost will be entirely funded by private donations.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 5:46 AM

Well, that was quick.

The land bank, in concert with a local a architecture firm, builder, and environmental engineering firm has already come up with a concept for the recently cleared Deluxe Inn site.

The $30 million plan calls for seven-story apartment/condo building fronting Washington and a four-story residential/commercial-retail/parking building. In all, it has 153,000 sq ft of residential space (132 units), 32,000 sq ft of retail/commercial, and 480 parking spots of which some will be on the ground floor and some underground (not sure how this is worked out exactly saved for all the parking is hidden from outside eyes).

Two interesting things about the project include...

- a 20-foot deck extending over the riverfront, cantilevered 30 feet above the water by a four-story cabled tower.

- The seven-story tower has multi-story banners on running vertically up the building that'd be see-through from inside the building, and could be alternated out. They are art features, so they wanted be turned into add space.

Looking north:

Last edited by LMich; Sep 30, 2010 at 6:23 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 2:17 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

What in God's hell is that thing on the right? A two story parking deck that's about the same height as the building it holds up? What's the one condo/apartment just east of the RenCen near the UAW that reminds me of this...I forget...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 3:07 PM
Registered Ugly

I love how they make it sound like this just "happened" right after the demo. If we know anything about politics and power, it's that such things don't happen like that. I'm sure the developer approached the Land Bank about the property looong before it was actually demoed. My first question is how this residential building is going to interact with not only the 6 lanes of interstate out its front door, but also the couple of lanes of service road, for a total of 8-9 lanes. I wouldn't want to live next to that, and I'd be interested to find out who would. Finally, why does Studio Intrigue not realize that they produce nothing but garbage? Probably because the Lansing region has a severe lack of decent architects. It's for this reason that it really saddens me that MSU doesn't have an architecture school. I've yet to see anything S.I. has done/proposed that I like and it blows me away that people continue to work with them. I know this is completely subjective, but I chalk it up to the blue collar nature of this city and its lack of creative folks (at least it's getting better--slowly).

I agree that this corridor needs to be filled in, from downtown to REO town. There are 12 surface parking lots between Kalamazoo and the old train depot, and now there's a huge vacant parcel where the old motel once was. Gene Townsend built a fairly successful housing development right across the highway (on Grand), and it's design is great, but I'd hate to be one of the families that fronts right up against the highway. Personally I think they should cover this section of the highway with green space. What I'd really like is for them to tear out 496 completely, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 3:24 PM
Registered Ugly

Also, the parking is overkill. I'm hoping the front would at least have a retail wrap to hide that deck from the entrance.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 5:45 AM

Not a very flattering shot, but a shot of the new City Market and the huge-ass Accident Fund campus parking garage whose cladding is going up:

Market Place (a condo and retail project going up behind (in this shot) the City Market) also had it brownfield request approved last Monday. The first two buildings of Market Place will start construction sometime in the first quarter of next year.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 10:27 AM

After literally years of declining passenger numbers, Capital Region International is looking to try and turn around the fact that it's quite between three larger (and cheaper) airports by courting niche airlines/flights/destinations:

Quote:

Greg DeRuiter/Lansing State Journal

Exec makes visit: Sun Country hopes to fly nonstop from Lansing to D.C.

Sun Country considers Lansing new gateway

Barbara Wieland • bwieland@lsj.com • October 13, 2010 • From Lansing State Journal

Sun Country Airlines sees Lansing as a "focus city" where it would center several routes as the Mendota Heights, Minn.-based carrier expands.

Capital Region International Airport officials rolled out the welcome mat for airline executives Tuesday during an event designed to raise awareness and support for Sun Country, which plans to start flying from Lansing to vacation destinations Dec. 22.

City plays key role

Airline President and CEO Sam Gadek said Lansing plays a key role in Sun Country's strategic plan. "Lansing is what I'd call a very good secondary city market," Gadek said. "Large carriers dominate large markets like Detroit. We see an opportunity for us to serve Lansing out of this airport."

Sun Country will operate seasonal flights, depending on the destination, from Dec. 22 through May 30 from the Lansing airport to Orlando and Ft. Myers, Fla.; Las Vegas; Cancun, Mexico; and Montego Bay, Jamaica.

It also is seeking federal approval to add daily nonstop service to Minneapolis and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Washington, D.C. - a route that has been absent from Lansing since early 2006.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 8:46 AM

Well, looks like Market Place is on hold, indefinitely, after the council decided to continue to play hardball with the developer:

Quote:

Lansing City Council refuses to reconsider Market Place project

Susan Vela • svela@lsj.com • October 19, 2010

They filled Lansing City Council's chambers but couldn't persuade members to reconsider approximately $4 million in incentives for the construction of Market Place.

"We have such an opportunity," said Summer Schriner, an Old Town businesswoman addressing council members Monday night. "Things have already been put in motion.

"What you guys did last week ... it's dangerous. I urge you ... please do the right thing."

The council, though, refused to budge from last week's vote. They voted 4-4 against reconsidering developer Pat Gillespie's brownfield redevelopment plan that would have permitted incentives Gillespie said were needed to construct his $23.1 million Market Place.

The mixed-use project was supposed to create an "urban village" near the new Lansing City Market on the banks of the Grand River.

Monday's council vote duplicated last week's - with Brian Jeffries, Carol Wood, Eric Hewitt and Derrick Quinney voting against reconsideration, just as they voted against the incentives.

Their vote came despite language in the 2008 sale agreement for the old City Market property that was supposed to become Market Place. It specifically states that the "developer and city each agree to use commercially reasonable efforts to pursue all support available for the project such as brownfield financing (and) brownfield tax credits."

In the same night, though, the council passed the brownfield plan for the Knapps Center on Washington Square. Bizarre.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 1:16 PM
Registered Ugly

I see both sides of the labor/tax credit debate, but the council members who voted against this did so illegally. It wasn't stated explicitly why they voted against, but it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Just read between the lines in the minutes. You can't vote against something that was previously approved because you want to retroactively impose a PLA. I wouldn't be surprised if a lawsuit arises out of this. Furthermore, if this project ends up failing then the demolition of old city market was pointless. That being said, I don't like how the Positive People Party (those on city council, those aspiring toward city council, and all their cronies) thinks that every development in this town is good development simply because we're in a struggling economy. I don't think there is anything wrong with stronger oversight of development when these developers are set to make millions more once the economy recovers. Both sides are being childish and shortsighted.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:11 AM

That's been exactly my take on this. The council is very likely in precarious legal territory here. As you said, you can't retroactively try to attach something onto the original development agreement without the consent of the developer. So, I fully expect Gillespie to sue them if they don't bring this back up.

And, yeah, I've been just as shocked by the reaction of the "Love Lansing" community going to bat for a wealthy developer as if he's poor orphan Annie. I'm also surprised at how disrespectful and arrogant Gillespie has been as if he abhors or has to lower himself to talking to labor in a city with a rich labor heritage and history. I say don't hate the players, hate the game.

I'm actually kind of liking this controversy because it brings to a head questions that have been around since Lansing became more attractive to development that need to be answered. Personally, I'm for sensibly negotiated PLA's. But yeah, the four-block on council picked the wrong project to f#ck with. Legally, they are totally in the wrong on this one and four-block opposition owes everyone an answer as to why they'd deny Gillespie's projects but then vote up the Eyde's project.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 7:21 AM

A very interesting concept for building a business...

Quote:

Social media experiment to design REO Town diner

Tricia Bobeda • tvbobeda@lsj.com • October 19, 2010 • From LSJ.com

LANSING - The former Dalmatian’s Firehouse Grill in REO Town seats only 24, but about twice that number came to the Mid-Michigan Tweet Up last week to hear about the REO Eats Project.

The project will use social media to allow the community to create its ideal diner. Organizers are asking for ideas for the restaurant’s name, theme, interior design, menu and pricing. The goal is to have diner open for business in 90 days.

The Tweet Up crowd of local young professionals got a tour of the diner last Wednesday. The diner has been closed since April.

The project is sponsored by the Gillespie Group, which has a purchase agreement on the property.

“We’re starting with a blank canvas,” said Paul Jaques, REO Eats team member and internship developer for Michigan State University. “The team is open to any and all suggestions, regardless of how crazy they might sound. We have no idea what the outcome will be, but that’s what makes this project so exciting.”

The REO Eats Project Team has a website, www.REOEatsProject.com, where visitors can submit ideas and vote on others. They can also connect with the project on Facebook and Twitter.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 5:04 AM

Mas good news:

Quote:

Lansing-East Lansing region posts 7th-highest job gains in U.S.

Susan Vela • suvela@lsj.com • October 20, 2010

LANSING -- The Lansing-East Lansing region is leading Michigan’s economic recovery, posting the seventh-highest job growth of any metro region in the United States, according to the Milken Institute, a California think tank ranking the nation’s top-performing regional economics.

“This is further evidence that Lansing is competing to win in the new global economy and leading the entire state in putting people back to work,” Mayor Virg Bernero said in a news release. “Our job growth over the last year has outperformed every region in Michigan and nearly every other region in America.

“That tells me we are on the right track and that our pro-business policies and pro-growth strategies are working.”

According to Milken’s annual report, “Best-Performing Cities 2010: Where America’s Jobs Are Created and Sustained,” the Lansing metro area’s year-over-year jump on the index rose 38 positions since the 2009 survey.

Ann Arbor rose 30 positions and Kalamazoo-Portage rose 19 positions.

Yet, “only a handful of cities eked out job gains in 2009,” the report’s executive summary reads.

This is particularly impressive considering how much the area (and state) loss during the auto bankruptcy and overall recession.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 11:10 AM

Great news.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest