HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 9:51 PM
The City

Best West Michigan Beach town

Hi guys,

I need advice. I’m hosting some family this July on a road trip through parts of the Midwest and Canada. As a part of this trip we will be staying 1 night at a West Michigan beach town. I’ve been to some of them but I have a hard time deciding which one to stay in. The Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes Area is a tad too far north, so I will save that for a future trip.

Our options seem to be:

Muskegon
Holland
Saugatuck
Grand Haven
South Haven
St Joseph
New Buffalo? Any others?

There will be 4 adults and 4 kids. Priorities include a fun beach, perhaps a nice lighthouse, easy access to a Main St style downtown with shops, restaurants, and places to get drinks.

All of the towns mentioned above seem to have these, is there any way to differentiate these? These guys are from California and may only visit one of these places once or twice in their lives. So if you wanted to show them a good time, which one would you choose?

Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 3:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Hi guys,

I need advice. I’m hosting some family this July on a road trip through parts of the Midwest and Canada. As a part of this trip we will be staying 1 night at a West Michigan beach town. I’ve been to some of them but I have a hard time deciding which one to stay in. The Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes Area is a tad too far north, so I will save that for a future trip.

Our options seem to be:

Muskegon
Holland
Saugatuck
Grand Haven
South Haven
St Joseph
New Buffalo? Any others?

There will be 4 adults and 4 kids. Priorities include a fun beach, perhaps a nice lighthouse, easy access to a Main St style downtown with shops, restaurants, and places to get drinks.

All of the towns mentioned above seem to have these, is there any way to differentiate these? These guys are from California and may only visit one of these places once or twice in their lives. So if you wanted to show them a good time, which one would you choose?

Thanks again!
Saugatuck has a great little downtown area and actually reminds me of places like Kennebunkport and The Hamptons. It can be a little expensive to stay. We went before having kids so I don't have details on that, but we saw lots of families. I would guess it is the "nicest" of your options, but I've only been to a few.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 1:10 AM

I've been to all the towns listed numerous times. They're all beautiful cities, but my vote goes for Grand Haven and St. Joseph. Muskegon and Holland are good if you want more of an "urban" beach town.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 7:09 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I have an irrational love for Grand Haven. Best beach, best location if you want to go up to Grand Rapids, etc. I did the day trip for Father's Day last year, went to the start park, walked around downtown for awhile, popped back up to Grand Rapids to go to the museums, and back home.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest