HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:53 PM

Kimball, NE

Kimball is a city in southwestern Nebraska, and is the seat of Kimball County. Kimball is about 20 miles from Wyoming, and about 16 miles from Colorado. The population is around 2,400.

Kimball was founded in 1870 as Antelopeville, after the Union Pacific Railroad was extended through the area as part of the Transcontinental Railroad. A telegraph station and coal station were placed here on the railroad. Later, the Lincoln Highway came to Kimball, being dedicated in 1913. Today, the agricultural community is still influenced by cross-country travel, sitting near Interstate 80.

The Kimball County Courthouse, on 3rd Street. The courthouse was built in 1928.

Buildings on Walnut Street.

Buildings on 2nd Street.

The old Wheat Growers Hotel, on Oak Street. The hotel was built in 1918.

Kimball Evangelical Free Church, on Walnut Street. The church was built in the 1940s as service organization center.

The old Fraternal Hall, on Chestnut Street. The structure was built in 1904 and is now the Plains Historical Museum.

The old American Theatre, on Chestnut Street. The theater was built in 1919, and is now a coffee shop.

The old Commercial Club Building, on Chestnut Street. The structure was built in 1917.

The Union Pacific bridge, over Chestnut Street. The railroad bridge was built in 1940, and carries what was originally the Transcontinental Railroad.

The Rodman Block, at 2nd & Chestnut Streets. The structure was built in 1917.

Buildings on Chestnut Street. On the left is City Hall, built around 1915. On the right is the Weatherwise Building, built in 1928 as a car dealership.

The Goodhand Theater, on Chestnut Street. The movie theater was built in 1954.

Houses on Chestnut Street.

A house on Webster Street.

A house on 5th Street.

Houses on Chestnut Street.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 5:01 AM

Lately, because my local bookstore no longer sells my favourite photography magazine, Black & White Magazine, so I started buying photography books on sale instead. Past few days I've been reading, Heartland: The Plains and the Prairie, by David Plowden, so maybe this thread came at a good time. Maybe this region, especially the rural parts, not represented in photos enough, so it's nice see some of it here, thank you. I probably need to visit these sorts of places more too.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:30 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

looks very quintessential small railroad townish.

the old hotel and movie theater fronts are really great.

nice to see this area — thanks.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 1:26 AM
Beer Stampede

Nice little town in rural Nebraska!! Thanks for sharing!!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Lately, because my local bookstore no longer sells my favourite photography magazine, Black & White Magazine, so I started buying photography books on sale instead. Past few days I've been reading, Heartland: The Plains and the Prairie, by David Plowden, so maybe this thread came at a good time. Maybe this region, especially the rural parts, not represented in photos enough, so it's nice see some of it here, thank you. I probably need to visit these sorts of places more too.
I had a response for you way back before Labor Day, but never finished it. Anyway, while this little town was as boring as it could be to explore, in a completely different way it was interesting to see, because no one is ever going to want to go and document the place again. What was also interesting was talking to some locals in a bar; any Democrat or left-leaning person is going to feel out of place in a place like this, but sometimes the extreme culture shock of talking to rural Republicans who have completely different issues close to their hearts is a good thing. People would be surprised how much East Coast or West Coast urbanites have in common with rural flyover residents.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos