HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
My neighborhood was something like 60/40 South Asian/ East Asian and then my Italian self. Very few people born here. My land lords were from China and work at Google. Nicest people.
If you ever go back to Fremont (or SF--there are several Bay Area locations) go to Pakwan, and get the achar. If you can handle it, that is. I miss their chicken achar so much.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
They just built a brand new Greek private school, and there's a new private K-12 academy. There's a demographic of Brownstone Brooklyn types now in Bay Ridge. It's also the only South Brooklyn area shifting politically left.
I have a co-worker that just bought a townhouse in Bay Ridge (say, a year ago). Her and her husband are reformed Jews, politically left...moved from Park Slope. I was surprised when they settled on Bay Ridge but they wanted an entire townhouse and not an apartment and this is their first home....so most of the closer in neighborhoods were out of the question from a price standpoint, even though their HHI is probably north of $500k a year (this is the reality in NYC now).

She talks a lot about how many of her neighbors though are Muslim Arabs. Almost to the point of obsession. She's feeling I think very self conscious about the juxtaposition coming from Park Slope and having her oldest in the local public school. Her daughter has a very Jewish first name and has been the target of some bullying from her classmates.

Anyways...point being, you are correct. Bay Ridge is getting an influx of Brownstoner Brooklyn types but I don't perceive the area as being white per se based on her experiences.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I feel the Brooklyn Chinese population is still a bit under-the-radar. Don't think most people would know that Brooklyn is nearly 10% Chinese.

There's a pretty huge swath of southern Brooklyn that is at least plurality Chinese.
Yeah, the Chinese are not associated with Brooklyn in spite of rather large numbers (and probably the largest immigrant nationality). I think people associate Brooklyn mostly with Jews (especially Hasidic Jews), Blacks (both AA and West Indian) and Italians. Even though there's only a small remnant of Italians left in Brooklyn (the immigrants are old and Italian Americans have moved onto Staten Island, New Jersey and Florida etc.). There's nearly twice as many Chinese as Italians in Brooklyn.

I guess Brooklyn Asians in generally get overlooked because of greater numbers in Queens where you have percentages more in line with California or Toronto.

Last edited by Docere; Jan 31, 2024 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I have a co-worker that just bought a townhouse in Bay Ridge (say, a year ago). Her and her husband are reformed Jews, politically left...moved from Park Slope. I was surprised when they settled on Bay Ridge but they wanted an entire townhouse and not an apartment and this is their first home....so most of the closer in neighborhoods were out of the question from a price standpoint, even though their HHI is probably north of $500k a year (this is the reality in NYC now).

She talks a lot about how many of her neighbors though are Muslim Arabs. Almost to the point of obsession. She's feeling I think very self conscious about the juxtaposition coming from Park Slope and having her oldest in the local public school. Her daughter has a very Jewish first name and has been the target of some bullying from her classmates.

Anyways...point being, you are correct. Bay Ridge is getting an influx of Brownstoner Brooklyn types but I don't perceive the area as being white per se based on her experiences.
I mean, the ME population in Bay Ridge would be white, per Census. But yeah, that end of Bay Ridge (north end, bordering Sunset Park) is pretty heavily Muslim Arab, and has undergone gradual ethnic succession. I could see non-secular Jews feeling a bit lonely around there. There are some really nice brownstone blocks in that end, and I suspect the Little Egypt enclave has peaked.

I was speaking more of the mid & southern end of Bay Ridge, which isn't radically different from 40 years ago, just a bit more polished and lightly gentrified. Those blocks still have lots of Irish, Italians and Greeks, even a few Norweigans from way back. They still have a Leif Ericson/Norway Day Parade. Not a ton of Jews, tho.

But it's also true that there are a few blocks on the other end where almost everything is halal and you'll hear the Muslim call to prayer.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 1:58 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
If you ever go back to Fremont (or SF--there are several Bay Area locations) go to Pakwan, and get the achar. If you can handle it, that is. I miss their chicken achar so much.
I used to trek up to Oakland/ Berkeley and hit the scene there. Amazing stuff along Shattuck. Plus the beer...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 11:37 PM

An exploration of Los Angeles's large yet overlooked Indian community:

https://ericbrightwell.com/2024/04/0...n-los-angeles/

"Some suburbs, like Culver City, Irvine, Santa Clarita, and Torrance, which have noticeable Indian presences — even though in none do Indians make up the most or second-most numerous ethnicities."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions