HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 9:33 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Who would've thought the white building would end up being the better part of this development.
that made me laugh.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I agree, it seems dumb, but I asked the architect and he said its done....i hope I am wrong.
I mean, it's clear that there are screens in the plans submitted with their zoning variances. The material is described as "PERFORATED METAL PANEL". They just got approval for A and built B, as the city seems to constantly allow developers to do.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 6:56 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:01 PM
the first stamp is free

^ It's an unfortunate situation, but that fee should be the responsibility of the building owner's insurance policy to cover - not taxpayers.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ It's an unfortunate situation, but that fee should be the responsibility of the building owner's insurance policy to cover - not taxpayers.
I was thinking just that - insurance should cover that.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:26 PM

Insurance company will fight you to the death over paying for that. Literally they will hope you just go away by throwing their lawyers at you.

It will cost you 20k to fight them and you may not win. That's how they do business.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:46 PM
the first stamp is free

The insurance companies suck, but they should cover it, and then sue the perpetrator that is responsible for the arson.

Either way, not on the City of Winnipeg.

My house insurance policy has up to $30k coverage for bylaws etc.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:53 PM

I'm sympathetic in principle to the notion that it would create a precedent for future fee waivers, but maybe it's a precedent to set. Should the City be using roadblocks to development and walkability as an income stream? I'd say no.

Being a sticker on the fees for the sake of the the City's finances seems like a tactical victory and a strategic loss. I think it's likely City would be richer having waived the fees and had the corner store than put its foot down and risk killing the business.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:05 PM

Firstly, it is infuriating that the area is not zoned for commercial. What a simple thing it would be to allow small convenience stores, restaurants, bars, etc. within the neighbourhood fabric and dramatically improve our city. These planners need to get a clue and visit a real city. I'm thinking Montreal here.

Secondly, the situation described in the article is very upsetting and sounds like it will lead to the worst possible of all outcomes- that the neighbourhood loses a convenience store and the surviving family members are no longer able to continue the business. Lukes and Klein are duds.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:16 PM

We'll give $20,000 in CERB for anyone who decides not to work for a year and half. But we can't find $20,000 to save a small business owner who was victim of a tragedy. Oh Canada.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:18 PM

Ya I'm not 100% up to speed on insurance for this type of thing. I'd assume they don't have any coverage.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
Firstly, it is infuriating that the area is not zoned for commercial. What a simple thing it would be to allow small convenience stores, restaurants, bars, etc. within the neighbourhood fabric and dramatically improve our city. These planners need to get a clue and visit a real city. I'm thinking Montreal here.
I would absolutely support any policy that allowed either by right, or by a streamlined variance, the ability to operate low-nuisance businesses like coffee shops, convenience stores, bakeries, book shops, etc anywhere in the city.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I would absolutely support any policy that allowed either by right, or by a streamlined variance, the ability to operate low-nuisance businesses like coffee shops, convenience stores, bakeries, book shops, etc anywhere in the city.
Absolutely. The model of shoving all the commercial to a few arteries is a travesty. In Montreal I could walk out my door and on my block was a small hardware store, convenience store, restaurant and bakery. This was a neighbourhood crawling with families and allowing this kind of zoning was not disruptive in any way.

This would be a super simple way to open the door to improving neighbourhoods city-wide.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 9:00 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ya I'm not 100% up to speed on insurance for this type of thing. I'd assume they don't have any coverage.
If they don't have the insurance coverage, this sounds like a "gofundme" type situation, versus asking the City to waive fees - that they shouldn't reasonably be expected to do. Especially because the City rakes everyone else over the coals, and this would send a really difficult precedent moving forward.

Also @ Gravity Wins: CERB is Federal, this is municipal.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
Absolutely. The model of shoving all the commercial to a few arteries is a travesty. In Montreal I could walk out my door and on my block was a small hardware store, convenience store, restaurant and bakery. This was a neighbourhood crawling with families and allowing this kind of zoning was not disruptive in any way.

This would be a super simple way to open the door to improving neighbourhoods city-wide.
Is that because Montreal has better/more permissive zoning in general, or it has a more extensive pool of the same kind of grandfathered non-conforming uses that Winnipeg does?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 8:14 PM

Piling rig on-site and construction fencing up at dutch maid site

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Piling rig on-site and construction fencing up at dutch maid site
Niiiiiiice

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 10:50 PM

I was wondering if that one was going to get moving this year... nice to see things getting under way.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 10:41 PM

Look at this magnificent new park! Such elegant simplicity!

I was annoyed when council shot down plans for a six-storey mixed-use apartment with a microbrewery behind the South Osborne X-Change and Mulvey Flea Market in favour of adding greenspace. I've seen the light now, though. This parklet is clearly the highest and best use of the land.

I just hope they don't clutter the uniform field of sod with any benches, trees, or fountains. That would really throw of the meditation of contemplating nothingness.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 11:43 PM

I was just wondering as I rode past that square of sod what on earth it was for. Perfectly situated between a commercial building, its parking lot, and one of the more off-road AT trails in the city for long sits listening to Osborne traffic and the nearby rail line. Only way to salvage it would be a good number of trees, introduction of some bush, and some seating. Then we're only 15 years of growth away from a reasonable little park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan