HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 11:32 PM

Motown Museum reveals next phase of expansion, a 40,000-square-foot addition with theater, retail space

Quote:
Detroit — The Motown Museum, one of the city’s most iconic music attractions, is moving on with the next phase of its expansion, unveiling details on Wednesday for a new 40,000-square-foot addition.

The addition, which will feature a chic gold exterior, will have room for interactive exhibits, retail space and a theater to be called The Henry Ford theater. It'll be located behind the existing Hitsville USA home on West Grand Boulevard where Berry Gordy Jr. crafted the Motown sound more than 60 years ago.

JoJo's Shake Bar, with over-the-top milkshakes, to open Detroit location Sept. 24

Quote:
Downtown Detroit will soon welcome a new place to find over-the-top milkshakes, loaded fries and a boozy brunch.

JoJo's Shake Bar's first Detroit location is set to open Sept. 24 in the District Detroit area.

As its name implies, JoJo's Shake Bar is known for its shakes garnished with plenty of sweets, so it's best to leave your diet at the door.

JoJo's Shake Bar will open at 88 W. Columbia, a pedestrian-friendly street between the Fox Theater and Little Caesars world headquarters. From Chicago-based Castle Hospitality, this location is the group's first outside of Illinois and fifth overall location.

source

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 11:55 PM
Plenary pleasures.

The Motown museum expansion looks gorgeous!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
The Motown museum expansion looks gorgeous!
Agreed! The gold is a good choice. Very classy.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 3:16 PM

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...strict-detroit

Ilitch-Ross $190 million hotel plans submitted for approval.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...strict-detroit

Ilitch-Ross $190 million hotel plans submitted for approval.

Where would this fit in? Next to the proposed innovation center?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 5:25 PM

It would be on Woodward just north of I-75 next to the arena.

Some more info:
-14 stories (180 feet) with ground retail
-Construction would start no later than the third quarter of 2024 and take approximately three years to complete

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
It would be on Woodward just north of I-75 next to the arena.

Some more info:
-14 stories (180 feet) with ground retail
-Construction would start no later than the third quarter of 2024 and take approximately three years to complete
Does 14 stories, 180 feet qualify for a thread in Highrise Proposals or does it have to stay in City Compilations / General?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
Does 14 stories, 180 feet qualify for a thread in Highrise Proposals or does it have to stay in City Compilations / General?
Yes it does. The minimum is 12 floors or 115 feet. Feel free to post a thread!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 9:02 PM

interesting to see them going with a new build for the first actual new construction development being the first to happen here. I would have figured that Illitch would do the half-built framed in developments they already built to the west first. I mean one of them is literally 100% framed already it just needed to get cladding and fitted out..

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
interesting to see them going with a new build for the first actual new construction development being the first to happen here. I would have figured that Illitch would do the half-built framed in developments they already built to the west first. I mean one of them is literally 100% framed already it just needed to get cladding and fitted out..
The only reason this is moving forward is because Stephen Ross is involved. Same with the innovation center. Those two half completed buildings, along with their numerous other announced renovations of vacant buildings they've owned for decades, aren't moving forward because for one reason or another the Ilitches are incapable of doing a project on their own. The only projects they've ever completed has been the arena, Fox Theatre, Little Caesars HQ, and some parking garages.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 3:53 AM
them bones

I was in SE Michigan for a quick trip of 16 hours on Thursday, so I didn't get much of a chance to explore the city at all, but I did manage to snap a few photos of the new Gordie Howe Bridge under construction.

Having not been to the D for 15! years, I have to say that the area between New Center and the River look absolutely sparkling. Sadly, I only saw it by car since I was not alone, but it was quite amusing to see shoppers out, the streetcar on Woodward, and lots of refurbished old and new infill buildings.

Anyway, I managed to get some construction shots of the bridge from Belanger Park in River Rouge...apologies for the blurriness. My walk-around lens appears to be on its last legs and I need a new one.

DET004 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

DET005 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

DET006 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

DET007 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

DET008 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 3:36 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I was in SE Michigan for a quick trip of 16 hours on Thursday, so I didn't get much of a chance to explore the city at all, but I did manage to snap a few photos of the new Gordie Howe Bridge under construction.
Thanks for the photos! There is a dedicated thread where these probably should go. But I guess it works in this thread too, since you're seeing the greater context of the city.

We're beginning to see what an awesome "frame" for the downtown skyline this bridge will offer. Photographers will have a ball finding that perfect angle, where the city is centered between the pylons, once complete.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 9:21 PM
Detroiter4life

The Brooke, a 78-unit apartment building, broke ground yesterday in SW Detroit.

$23 million housing development project breaks ground in Southwest Detroit

Quote:
According to a press release, 20% of the 78 apartments will be reserved for low-income housing. 38 one-bedroom, three-bedroom, and 37 studio apartments will be available in The Brooke once construction is completed. Some on-site amenities are electric vehicle charging stations, an indoor lounge, a two-tiered outdoor space and an outdoor recreational space.

“As we continue to beautify and strengthen neighborhoods across Detroit, we have made a promise to keep creating opportunity and making Detroit a more equitable city,” Mayor Duggan wrote in a press release.

Gensler Detroit is the architect of The Brooke, and Sachse Construction is the project’s general contractor.
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...hwest-detroit/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 9:29 PM
Detroiter4life

Update on the Joe Louis Greenway Project, construction is already underway on two segments of the greenway, the first, Warren to Joy will open next Spring, the second segment, Joy to Fullerton, expected to open next fall. Other segments of the greenway will start construction in 2023 and 2024, with total completion of the 27.5 mile greenway expected in 5-10 years depending on the availability of funding. This project will certainly be a game changer for Detroit's neighborhoods. It reminds me a lot of the Beltline project in Atlanta. I expect this greenway to be one of the premier urban bike/walk trails in the nation when its finished.

New Joe Louis Greenway will stretch through 23 communities, 4 cities

Quote:
Its impact "will extend far beyond the boundaries of the path itself, creating opportunities for Detroiters to thrive," said Thomas in an email.

The Warren Avenue to Joy Road section of the greenway is anticipated to open next spring and Joy Road to Fullerton Avenue is expected to open next fall.

In addition to connecting 23 neighborhoods and four different cities, the greenway, which will have a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Oct. 29 at Detroit's Laker Park, will feature a pavilion with a community room, a fitness station, an open lawn for family gatherings, a playground and two new passive green spaces.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...es/8061802001/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:05 PM

AECOM Opens New Midtown Office Space

Quote:
AECOM, a Fortune 500 global infrastructure consulting firm, on Tuesday opened a new, 10,000-square-foot office in Midtown Detroit.

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan and other officials were on hand for a ribbon cutting.

AECOM delivers professional services on projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy, and the environment for public- and private-sector clients around the world. In its new Detroit office, the firm will have around 75 employees, several of whom are moving from its former office in Southfield.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:37 PM
Registered Ugly

Thanks for the photo updates for the bridge! Awesome progress! That project is getting to a point where it will be really fun to watch!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 9:13 PM
Detroiter4life

Here's an update on four eds and meds projects going on in Midtown, Downtown and the New Center Area.

Four Detroit projects tap economic power of high ed, med facilities

Quote:
At this point, only WSU’s theater and dance complex, the Hilberry Gateway, is virtually a done deal. The new $65 million building at Cass and Forest is in the final stages of construction with a planned debut in February.

The rest of the development plans are in the early stages but every project has major supporters. Billionaires are major investors in three of the plans. And two projects recently received $200 million in state taxpayer money.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...es/8005000001/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:02 PM
Detroiter4life

Platform's Piquette project at former Studebaker building nets $5 million loan

Quote:
An entity tied to Detroit-based developer The Platform LLC has received a $5 million loan for its redevelopment of the former Studebaker Sales and Service Building it owns in the city's Milwaukee Junction neighborhood into more than 160 workforce apartments.

In addition, the Michigan Strategic Fund board on Tuesday morning signed off on $882,821 in state brownfield reimbursement.

A MSF memo says local buy-in includes an Obsolete Property Rehabilitation Act tax break valued at $3.06 million and the brownfield support valued at $473,534.

The building, which is 108,000 square feet, sits at 411 Piquette St. next to the former Ford Piquette Avenue Plant where the Model T was born.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...nets-state-aid

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:17 AM

Newly opened Freelon apartments offers affordable housing for veterans in Midtown

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00026627665513

Quote:
Midtown's newest apartment complex opened its doors Thursday, bringing nearly 70 new units to the historic Sugar Hill district, including affordable housing for veterans.

The $38 million mixed-used and mixed-income development Freelon at Sugar Hill was built in a vacant lot across the street from the John D. Dingell VA Medical Center and offers 14 affordable housing units for people in the Veterans Administration Supportive Housing program for homeless veterans.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...l/69511192007/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Newly opened Freelon apartments offers affordable housing for veterans in Midtown

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...l/69511192007/
Only 5 years since it was announced!
https://www.modeldmedia.com/inthenew...nt-061217.aspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations