HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:48 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone know what’s up with the Salt Palace? Have they been having financial troubles? I come to FanX every year and the place seems to be falling into a serious state of disrepair. Last year there were a lot of water leaks along the corridor. This year the carpet is awfully. It has cracks ducktaped everywhere and there are huge bumps and ripples that are a tripping hazard. I genuinely feel bad for people trying to get around in wheelchairs. There is also dray-wall patching all over the ceiling. The general look of the place is really outdated.

How does Salt Lake plan to keep and get more convention with the salt palace in such bad shape…. They need to fix this… quick!!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 5:30 PM

Sounds to me like they're about to start a major refresher soon. It would make sense as the CCH finishes up and the convention business gears up again post COVID.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 5:30 PM
dtwn_living

The sidewalks are open around the CCH and all the lighting on the outside of the building is on. I’m not sure if some of the lighting is not working properly on the upper floors or if it was designed that way but it looks great at night.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 5:45 AM
Exit 298

The owner is Salt Lake County, so I doubt it's financial troubles. That said, there are a number of factors:
  • Major shows canceled in 2020-2021. Less revenue, but again it's the county's building, so there's money. But with no rush to "get ready" for a big show, I'm sure maintenance was delayed.
  • The facility was busy being used as a vaccination site, probably preventing some maintenance operations. A show lasts 3-7 days. A vaccination site lasts months on end.
  • Tying the convention center hotel into the existing building probably has drawn away resources.

As others mention, I'm pretty sure you'll see a lot of "fix-up" now that the CCH is basically complete. When is the next big trade show?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
When is the next big trade show?
The next big event on the convention calendar is the Silicon Summit in 4 days. 15,000 attendees. There's an event with 7,000 attendees in late October and then there isn't another large event until early February with 47,000 attendees.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretUtah View Post
The sidewalks are open around the CCH and all the lighting on the outside of the building is on. I’m not sure if some of the lighting is not working properly on the upper floors or if it was designed that way but it looks great at night.

I noticed the new lighting last week when I was coming in to work early. I wasn't sure if it was temporary lighting testing during construction or permanent. I like it and I think it adds something cool and unique to the skyline from the south.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 9:54 PM

Does anyone know what the new construction is on the NW corner of 200 W and 800 S? Looks like a new apartment development. I was just wondering how tall this was going to be.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
Does anyone know what the new construction is on the NW corner of 200 W and 800 S? Looks like a new apartment development. I was just wondering how tall this was going to be.
The Sloane apartments by Urban Alfandre

"At 764 S 200 W, the former Community Action Program (CAP) building will be replaced by an 88-unit rental project called The Sloane. High-ceiling first-floor residential units wrap the building’s two floors of podium parking."

It will be 6 stories tall.

More info and renderings: buildingsaltlake.com

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:52 PM

Thanks Stenar!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 11:04 PM

San Francisco

Speaking of San Francisco on the last page of the thread, I just returned from a trip to downtown San Francisco and a few thoughts:

Although there are a number of beautiful, iconic skyscrapers in downtown San Francisco my favorite was a very tall Trapezodal shaped skyscraper clad in reflective glass ( I dont know the name of the building)

The new Salesforce Tower completely dominates the San Francisco skyline, especially from a distance and I haven't really decided if I like its look or not.

It has a rather strange shape and its cladding is I thought kinda odd up close.

The Hyatt-Regency hotel is a rather odd terrace-shaped skyscraper but overall I thought the skyline was very beautiful and it made me really jealous!!!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I noticed the new lighting last week when I was coming in to work early. I wasn't sure if it was temporary lighting testing during construction or permanent. I like it and I think it adds something cool and unique to the skyline from the south.
Hopefully that lighting is customizable and can change colors to celebrate/honor different events, holidays, etc?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:41 PM

From Reddit (Astra):

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:44 PM
of SLC

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 11:45 PM

Main St Apartments/Soren

Anyone heard any rumors of when Held and Domain will break ground on Main St Apartments and The Soren? They have both been fully approved by the planning commission now so there shouldn't be anything to hold then up. Would be fun to have 4 300+ft towers under construction before the end of the year.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:05 PM

Quote from a buildingsaltlake article on the hardware district. “the Hardware District is becoming known as a luxury enclave with few offerings for the public (Lee’s Market on its NE corner is a notable exception)”. Ya think??? My complaint about a lot of these “luxury” projects. We do need more apartments, but something for the general public should be required in a development of this size downtown.

Article url: https://buildingsaltlake.com/hardwar...ransit-riders/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:36 PM
Space Magi

Came across this on LinkedIn. Nice view of our future skyline, and there's what appears to be a new rendering of 150 Main in there. I couldn't find a higher resolution version, unfortunately.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
Quote from a buildingsaltlake article on the hardware district. “the Hardware District is becoming known as a luxury enclave with few offerings for the public (Lee’s Market on its NE corner is a notable exception)”. Ya think??? My complaint about a lot of these “luxury” projects. We do need more apartments, but something for the general public should be required in a development of this size downtown.

Article url: https://buildingsaltlake.com/hardwar...ransit-riders/
Amen to this and shame on the developer for not including any retail. And shame on the City for letting it happen.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 12:36 AM
of SLC

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Amen to this and shame on the developer for not including any retail. And shame on the City for letting it happen.
Isn’t commercial space required by zoning ordinance? How are these Cash Cows skirting around this??

Near Pioneer Park, the newer Pierpont Apartments and the 360 apartments both have zero sidewalk activation, and I just learned that the The Olive apartments will be converting their commercial space to be a gym for their tenants, further extending their middle finger to the neighborhood after they decided to change their project from condos to rentals.

These greedy groups of people see a vibrant pocket of life and do a land grab, but then they turn their backs to the street, and contribute literally nothing. Then they complain to the city when things haven’t improved?? How did we allow this to happen and who can we talk to about it?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Came across this on LinkedIn. Nice view of our future skyline, and there's what appears to be a new rendering of 150 Main in there. I couldn't find a higher resolution version, unfortunately.

These future skylines are awesome, thanks for posting!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West