HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
old Earl's is looking brutal with boarded up windows and overgrown weeds. really hoping this rumour of a new place is factual. a new nightclub if it's Sabinno?
I dont think its going to be a nightclub, or even a restaurant.

guess we'll just have to wait

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:06 PM
What could go wrong?

"Tower Developers"

I picture this like when people come canvassing at your door for something. "Hi, my name is John. I am with ACME Tower Developers and we would like to build a tower on your property. If not yours, do you know any other people that might want a tower built on their property?"
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:29 PM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:29 PM

These "tower developers" can simply pay off said owner of old Earl's sure. They will not be clamouring to try and purchase some pieces of land in between other land in which said other guy just opened a night club and owns half the land as a parking lot.

Said other guy is notorious Winnipegger. I'd say that my original statement of widespread, quality re-development of Main St to be a non-starter.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
"Tower Developers"

I picture this like when people come canvassing at your door for something. "Hi, my name is John. I am with ACME Tower Developers and we would like to build a tower on your property. If not yours, do you know any other people that might want a tower built on their property?"
That would be a happier world. Or maybe not. Maybe it would have all the same problems.

"I just don't think that 60 storey tower fits with the neighbourhood character. This is a family area. The reason I moved here 40 years ago is because it was such a quaint, quiet neighbourhood zoned for 15 storeys or fewer and I don't want that to change."

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:05 AM

Quote:
I don't think it is train brakes making the squeal noise. It is the curve coming into downtown from the Red River crossing by the ball park. The inside of the wheels are in constant lateral pressure with the curve of the rails. I don't know what could be done to rectify that other than spending massive amounts of money to move the line. I actually like the trains running on the high-line through downtown, but that noise is a but much.
I suppose that someone (developer or city) could approach CN about putting in a railside oil curve grease applicator to reduce the sound. Besides reducing the sound oilers reduce flange wear so CN would get some benefit from greasing the curve

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:05 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I don't think it is train brakes making the squeal noise. It is the curve coming into downtown from the Red River crossing by the ball park. The inside of the wheels are in constant lateral pressure with the curve of the rails. I don't know what could be done to rectify that other than spending massive amounts of money to move the line. I actually like the trains running on the high-line through downtown, but that noise is a but much.
Many jurisdictions have automated systems that lubricate the rails to reduce friction noise. Not herd though.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:18 PM
What could go wrong?

There is a RFP for Design Build District Geothermal Heating System for Railside phase 1.

I think what all the drilling on site was a couple of years ago was the wells for the Geothermal. This is for the actual system now to the 10 buildings.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 8:25 PM

Quote:
There is a RFP for Design Build District Geothermal Heating System for Railside phase 1.

I think what all the drilling on site was a couple of years ago was the wells for the Geothermal. This is for the actual system now to the 10 buildings.
I believe the Mere Hotel on Waterfront utilized a geothermal system as well. A great project!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:04 PM

So does that mean we might see some building construction on site come spring? Or am I being too optimistic based on the glacial pace this thing is moving. haha

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 3:43 PM

This is fantastic, I didnt know it was happening. treaty knowledge centre opens at The Forks. This is the former Muddy Waters restaurant then skate shop then empty for years.

features information panels, interactive tools and self-guided tours. The goal of the centre is to help people better understand treaty relations through a First Nations lens.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 3:59 PM

^ That building always seemed to be in search of a purpose. Before it was Muddy Waters it was basically a place to put your skates on and warm up.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 5:06 PM

Wasn't the original intent of that space to be a skate warm-up type place? Maybe Im wrong on that. They have that now on the other side since muddy waters was in that space.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 8:30 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

This thread is soon to be 8 years going and we're talking about a repurposed warming shack. I am thinking we might just all die of old age before anything happens at the Forks.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
This thread is soon to be 8 years going and we're talking about a repurposed warming shack. I am thinking we might just all die of old age before anything happens at the Forks.

That's funny. But in fairness, quite a lot has happened there over the years. If you look at it in 10 year chunks, it's very different each time... 1980 (railyard) vs. 1990 (new market area and park) vs. 2000 (bringing in a hotel, MTYP, Children's Museum, Shaw Park) vs. 2010 (building CHMR, more park improvements) vs. 2020 (well... should have been Railside but not quite yet).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

That's funny. But in fairness, quite a lot has happened there over the years. If you look at it in 10 year chunks, it's very different each time... 1980 (railyard) vs. 1990 (new market area and park) vs. 2000 (bringing in a hotel, MTYP, Children's Museum, Shaw Park) vs. 2010 (building CHMR, more park improvements) vs. 2020 (well... should have been Railside but not quite yet).
I have to say that the Forks feels like it has changed quite substantially in the last 10 years since I arrived. When I got here (2012) it was nice, but had a 90s tourist market kind of vibe. The transformation of the indoor and outdoor space (commons and outdoor seating and bar areas) are just little renovations in some ways, but it feels like a VERY different place now.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 10:40 PM

The Forks went from being a place I’d visit once a year with family to being a place I go to fairly regularly with friends to hangout and grab a drink. It is a far superior place today than it was 10 years ago.

It is a real shame that Railside is not working out. Those parking lots are so ridiculous. The economics of it must be really tough. I also think the market for that type of housing is really soft in Winnipeg unfortunately.

Every so often I’ll drive to the forks to grab something from the wine store, but most times I walk, bike, or take transit. It’d be interesting to know what percentage of people that spend money at the forks arrive not by car. I wonder how the Forks views those parking lots.

Last edited by GreyGarden; Dec 16, 2022 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
It is a real shame that Railside is not working out. Those parking lots are so ridiculous. The economics of it must be really tough. I also think the market for that type of housing is really soft in Winnipeg unfortunately.
What suggests that railside isn't working out? Just a few messages above indicates there's an RFP for geothermal install. I doubt they would go ahead if things were on shaky ground.

Yes I know this isn't booming like Waverley West or Amber Trails, but I rather this be thought out and properly executed rather than it looking like a cookie cutter suburb, in the middle of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 8:51 PM

^At this point what needs to be thought out that hasn’t already been considered for 8 or so years. According to the master plan they’ve already decided that it’s going to be a bunch of low-rise 4-6 storey rentals thats roughly 1,200 units. It’s time to see some construction by now.

I just don’t get it. When it comes to these suburban subdivisions they seem to be done at light speed compared to our urban infill projects. Kapyong, Southwood, Parker Lands, and this project have been discussed for decades at this point yet still no discernible action.

I also don’t really buy that the project is not economically viable. Being next to a national historic site, directly on Waterfront Drive, and being in between P&M and Union will make any residential project viable. It’s a dream for people who want an urban lifestyle and I think Winnipeg has an appetite for this type of living. After all that’s why we’re on this board.

If I had to pinpoint a reason why shit’s not getting built is because of our limited sewer capacity. Either way, it’s almost like the city is afraid to make any sort of transition from car-dependency despite it wreaking havoc on our tax base and general livability.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
^At this point what needs to be thought out that hasn’t already been considered for 8 or so years. According to the master plan they’ve already decided that it’s going to be a bunch of low-rise 4-6 storey rentals thats roughly 1,200 units. It’s time to see some construction by now.

I just don’t get it. When it comes to these suburban subdivisions they seem to be done at light speed compared to our urban infill projects. Kapyong, Southwood, Parker Lands, and this project have been discussed for decades at this point yet still no discernible action.

I also don’t really buy that the project is not economically viable. Being next to a national historic site, directly on Waterfront Drive, and being in between P&M and Union will make any residential project viable. It’s a dream for people who want an urban lifestyle and I think Winnipeg has an appetite for this type of living. After all that’s why we’re on this board.

If I had to pinpoint a reason why shit’s not getting built is because of our limited sewer capacity. Either way, it’s almost like the city is afraid to make any sort of transition from car-dependency despite it wreaking havoc on our tax base and general livability.
Fair enough, but unless someone is willing to do a lot better than most of the suburban box and stucco crap.....if it's not going to be something exceptional, leave the land alone!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan