HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 10:46 PM
perhaps . . .

One.
There is a longstanding thread of thought concerning Toronto's identity and 'US Americanism.' Regardless of this, Torontonians do not consider themselves, nor wish to be Americans. At best, they like the idea that they somehow possess the American (really the New York) spirit .

Two.
No Canadians refer to themselves in any way as "Americans." At best, they will use "North American" in a technical/geographic sense. wwmiv's post regarding this is pure fiction.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 11:00 PM
Never Dell

If you're referring to his post on Page 5, it doesn't suggest otherwise. Just that "America" has a bunch of meanings, some of which he outlines.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 11:25 PM

I think it would be most correct to refer to people of the US as "United States Americans" or "US Americans". Actual "American" is more analogous to "Asian" or "European", e.g. "Native American". And yes, people in Canada, including Toronto, do often refer to indigenous people as "Native Americans".

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:08 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
If you're referring to his post on Page 5, it doesn't suggest otherwise. Just that "America" has a bunch of meanings, some of which he outlines.
Thank you. Many people use American in many different ways. Perhaps I did not say it explicitly enough, but referring to yourself as “North American” is part and parcel consistent with the spirit and motivation of my post; it is one of those varieties of the usage of the word “American.”

Shrugs.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:16 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
I think it would be most correct to refer to people of the US as "United States Americans" or "US Americans". Actual "American" is more analogous to "Asian" or "European", e.g. "Native American". And yes, people in Canada, including Toronto, do often refer to indigenous people as "Native Americans".
Equivalent words for this already exist in Spanish (Estadounidense) and French (Étatsunien).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:25 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
And yes, people in Canada, including Toronto, do often refer to indigenous people as "Native Americans".
I know, but that's just Americanization from media and pop culture, though.

Referring to Indigenous people in Canada as "Native Americans" actually makes no sense.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Referring to Indigenous people in Canada as "Native Americans" actually makes no sense.
At least they don't call them indians (or do they?).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 2:03 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
At least they don't call them indians (or do they?).
Not really, although...

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-5/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:39 AM

Ok, Torontonians don't want to be part of the US - this isn't a thing. But, in my opinion, they do want recognition through US media, movies, sports, etc.

Rob Ford was a pretty terrible mayor... way in over his head, clearly plagued by mental health issues, addiction, etc. But you can't tell me we didn't get a kick out of hearing "Toronto" being constantly mentioned by Kimmel and others. This is a pretty fucking awesome city, easily top 5-10 in NA and until only a few years ago, was barely mentioned at all. Even London loves being stroked by the US media machine. Anyway, tired ridiculous argument and a lot of pretty dumb comments above.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:49 AM
devout Pizzatarian

"please, please, please acknowledge and love us for how awesome and wonderful we are!

But don't you ever fucking dare think that we're somehow part of your awful and wicked society!"

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 29, 2021 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 4:03 AM

Haha, you got it!

(Ah no, I think it's more that we just don't want to sit at the kids table anymore).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 4:16 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ speaking as an American, from our perspective, Canada will always be the kids table, for better or worse.

You don't become the most navel-gazing society in the history of our species by recognizing things beyond your borders.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 29, 2021 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:26 AM
video et taceo

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:28 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ speaking as an American, from our perspective, Canada will always be the kids table, for better or worse.

You don't become the most navel-gazing society in the history of our species by recognizing things beyond your borders.
cancun

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
cancun

Even so, the Cancun Americans engage with in 99% is basically just a transposition of US culture onto Mexican soil.

Similarly, Paris is quite popular with Americans as well (for different reasons) but an American's Paris isn't the same as a French person's Paris.

The real Paris isn't French Kiss, Midnight in Paris or Emily in Paris, or even Gershwin's "An American in Paris".

I am not saying this to bash on Americans exclusively BTW, as all nationalities do this to some degree. (You don't want to hear me on Québécois in Cuba or the Dominican Republic.) But the level of visitor immersion in local culture does vary, and Americans tend to be on the "low immersion" side.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Even so, the Cancun Americans engage with in 99% is basically just a transposition of US culture onto Mexican soil.
pretty much.

cancun is just a florida beach resort with better tacos.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 29, 2021 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:22 PM

Quote:

Similarly, Paris is quite popular with Americans as well (for different reasons) but an American's Paris isn't the same as a French person's Paris.

The real Paris isn't French Kiss, Midnight in Paris or Emily in Paris, or even Gershwin's "An American in Paris".

I am not saying this to bash on Americans exclusively BTW, as all nationalities do this to some degree. (You don't want to hear me on Québécois in Cuba or the Dominican Republic.) But the level of visitor immersion in local culture does vary, and Americans tend to be on the "low immersion" side.
This is accurate. And I actually hate traveling with those types of people.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:

Why not? In South America, students are taught that North and South America are one continent simply called America.

Culturally, they think of themselves as new world (largely immigrant populations account for much of South America's populace in the same was as they do in North America).

It's actually very insulting to tell someone in Argentina, Chile, or Brazil that you're "American". If you do so, they'll very often say something like, "yo tambien". i.e. "Me too".

So through that lense, you could make the argument calling someone "Native American" is to merely differentiate between indigenous people and immigrants, generically, across the continent.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 8:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Why not? In South America, students are taught that North and South America are one continent simply called America.

Culturally, they think of themselves as new world (largely immigrant populations account for much of South America's populace in the same was as they do in North America).

It's actually very insulting to tell someone in Argentina, Chile, or Brazil that you're "American". If you do so, they'll very often say something like, "yo tambien". i.e. "Me too".

So through that lense, you could make the argument calling someone "Native American" is to merely differentiate between indigenous people and immigrants, generically, across the continent.
Yeah, I know that.

My issue isn't so much with the use of the word "American", but rather the term "Native American" which is a US-invented term to describe Indigenous people in that country. Like most terms invented to describe these people, it's an awkward kludge at best. The Canadian-invented terms or terms used in other languages like Spanish, French or Portuguese aren't necessarily any less awkward, but at least they are rooted in the reality and history of their countries.

When I hear a Canadian say that such and such a person is "Native American" from the Tsawwassen reserve in BC or the Saugeen reserve in Ontario, my first thought is always that the speaker has been watching too much American TV.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 8:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Who is building the most?

Easy check: which city gained the most in population over X amount of years.
Top 15 metros, ranked by population. The percentage is the population change from 2010 to 2020.

New York City -- +1.20%
Los Angeles -- +2.19%
Chicago -- −0.58%
Dallas -- +20.85%
Houston -- +20.84%
Washington -- +11.95%
Miami -- +10.93%
Philadelphia -- +2.39%
Atlanta -- +15.15%
Phoenix -- +20.68%
Boston -- +7.16%
San Francisco -- +8.34%
Riverside -- +10.73%
Detroit -- +0.18%
Seattle -- +16.83%

Red = Under 2% growth
Magenta = 2% - 9.99% growth
Blue = 10% - 19.99%
Green = 20%+

The high growth metros are "building the most".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions