HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 8:06 PM

Any chance of that being tweaked to something a bit more permissive by council?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 8:29 PM
surely you agree with me

we will find out.....hopefully there's some flexibility.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 8:35 PM

It has to be. They haven’t invented floating antigravity cranes, and no building can be economically built without a laydown.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 8:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Tower crane?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Tower crane?
For a project this short in height, a tower crane would probably be very uneconomical in daily cost than a crawler. Possibly one of those small ones that just unfold from a trailer. Issue is still where to put it that it doesn’t interfere with the footprint/process and remove important laydown space.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 9:04 PM
the first stamp is free

^ might be necessary if the they are constrained on space.

I remember past trips to Calgary when it seemed like anything larger than a 2-storey house was being built with tower cranes - and certainly buildings of this size.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:

I remember past trips to Calgary when it seemed like anything larger than a 2-storey house was being built with tower cranes - and certainly buildings of this size.
Sometimes you just gotta do whatever it takes!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 9:30 PM
keep the good times going

On one hand, it will be nice to keep the sidewalks etc open - as other big cities do.

On the other, I hope they do give a reasonable amount of room for construction - I would hate to see developers lose interest in urban sites like this cause just because they can't get the room to actually build the thing they want to build... not to mention higher construction costs... and potentially higher rents in the end?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
On one hand, it will be nice to keep the sidewalks etc open - as other big cities do.

On the other, I hope they do give a reasonable amount of room for construction - I would hate to see developers lose interest in urban sites like this cause just because they can't get the room to actually build the thing they want to build... not to mention higher construction costs... and potentially higher rents in the end?
I agree, its a pain in the ass to have them closed - see Sherbrook and Wolseley as my pet peeve currently - but I'd rather 1. something get built, and 2. quality doesn't get cut to make up for higher costs.

Once it becomes more profitable to build high quality urban buildings I'll be okay with the City demanding more.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:07 PM

Need to define here what exactly they want. I guess will wait for the minutes.

If they want a 1.5m sidewalk, that can be maintained at the road edge and a portion of the sidewalk closed. If anyone paid attention on the BRT project, they had temporary sidewalk on the road, sometimes it was even gravel, and they would shuttle people around if need be.

The sidewalk will need to be closed for at least a portion of the width to install the building. It's literally impossible otherwise haha How would you install a door, or the cladding, or some other feature. From the inside?

Otherwise ya a crane can be installed in the back of the property where the low rise building is and that portion of the building completed at the end. Pain in the ass, yes.

I presume they don't want to close any of the lanes on Osborne for obvious reason, regardless of your opinion. I also assume temporary closures will be allowed again impossible otherwise.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:15 PM

Also looking at the plans, the building is not built to the property line along Osborne. So while a pain in the ass. It's doable.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:19 PM
surely you agree with me

no way a project this size could sustain the cost of a tower crane.

It is unusual to require access on all sides....the city would never allow them to close a lane of osborne, but not being able to take the gertrude sidewalk or the back lane is not typical....the Zu project has closed all the sidewalks and their construction timeline appears to be be several years.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Also looking at the plans, the building is not built to the property line along Osborne. So while a pain in the ass. It's doable.
you need more than just the width of a person....there's lots of machinery involved in construction.....

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:24 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

ive noticed that too....it is weird...i have a 15 storey building about to start construction downtown that will not even be a tower crane because they cost too much.

makes you wonder about that true north square hotel and the tower sitting there for years.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
you need more than just the width of a person....there's lots of machinery involved in construction.....
That's what I was getting at though. It's impossible to actually build it without at least allowing temporary closures. And it's a pain in the ass. If that's what they want.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:29 PM
surely you agree with me

agreed...we will see what happens.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
ive noticed that too....it is weird...i have a 15 storey building about to start construction downtown that will not even be a tower crane because they cost too much.

makes you wonder about that true north square hotel and the tower sitting there for years.
Tell us more of this 15 storey building

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:54 PM

I think that 15 story building is on the southeast corner of St Mary and Donald if I’m not mistaken . I think it’s an apartment.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:

So to drew's point, why are tower cranes so common everywhere but apparently not here? It's hard to believe that it wouldn't be worth it to have one for a 15 storey project.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So to drew's point, why are tower cranes so common everywhere but apparently not here? It's hard to believe that it wouldn't be worth it to have one for a 15 storey project.
Maybe the tower cranes people are thinking of in respect to the Calgary comment are the smaller 40-60’ fixed height ones that self-erect and can run off of a small diesel generator or other power source with fairly limited load ratings? Not the type we see at sites like True North/300Main?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan