HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
In a couple of years when the Starbucks closes that eye sore should come down. I hope to see a good deal of the mall style lowrises on Michigan get redeveloped over the next years as big store retail continues to fade away.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 6:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
In a couple of years when the Starbucks closes that eye sore should come down. I hope to see a good deal of the mall style lowrises on Michigan get redeveloped over the next years as big store retail continues to fade away.
Idk, it's kind of fun. Do you really think the store will fail?

Our first priority should be the Burberry store.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 6:46 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
What a strange take. The former Crate & Barrel store is one of the best modern buildings on Michigan Avenue. I'm glad it's being preserved.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 7:02 PM

I would love to eventually see Michigan Ave lined with 800-1000 footers some day similar to NYC's Billionaire's Row replacing many of the non-historic low/mid-rise commercial structures.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 7:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
I would love to eventually see Michigan Ave lined with 800-1000 footers some day similar to NYC's Billionaire's Row replacing many of the non-historic low/mid-rise commercial structures.
I'm not really sure what you would tear down... besides Burberry.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
What? If there's any contemporary structure along Michigan Ave that's worthy of preservation it's this one...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ryan View Post
I'm not really sure what you would tear down... besides Burberry.
is the Burberry that bad?...its fairly new and thought added a bit of excitment to the mag mile... Tear down the intertercontinetal north tower (this was proposed awhile back to be replaced by 850ft tower)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 1:25 AM

The north tower? You're not talking about the Intercontinental immediately north of Trib Tower?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:46 AM
Chicago

905 W Fulton Market

November 14, 2019

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
The north tower? You're not talking about the Intercontinental immediately north of Trib Tower?
..intercontinental north tower ... as opposed to south tower which is the building next to trib tower

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 7:19 AM

I personally love the Burberry. It's funky and cool. The one thing on the Mag Mile that should come down is Water Tower Place's garage

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
I personally love the Burberry. It's funky and cool. The one thing on the Mag Mile that should come down is Water Tower Place's garage
Burberry is the epitome of kitsch. I'm not sure if they're in on the joke (or if that matters), but it definitely makes an impression. I find it too irreverent to be able to appreciate any of its playfulness; since they went the 'expressive' route, I wish they would have gone the route of structural expression (if even winkingly overwrought) to throw even the smallest bone to the location.

All of the brands under the mega-corporate umbrellas have devolved into self-parody. There is no value in any of them, in my opinion, other than identity representation. And the last of the good American heritage brands have been sucked up into the private equity vortex, the money from their storied quality (if incidental to their place in history when established) redistributed into au courant marketing campaigns.

The Starbucks, though, I like (in theory -- I haven't been yet). Makes use of the large space to provide something whimsical and welcoming that (hopefully) isn't too self-serious. Could be a modern day corporate analog to the Morgan Library or some such thing.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Burberry is the epitome of kitsch. I'm not sure if they're in on the joke (or if that matters), but it definitely makes an impression. I find it too irreverent to be able to appreciate any of its playfulness; since they went the 'expressive' route, I wish they would have gone the route of structural expression (if even winkingly overwrought) to throw even the smallest bone to the location.

All of the brands under the mega-corporate umbrellas have devolved into self-parody. There is no value in any of them, in my opinion, other than identity representation. And the last of the good American heritage brands have been sucked up into the private equity vortex, the money from their storied quality (if incidental to their place in history when established) redistributed into au courant marketing campaigns.

The Starbucks, though, I like (in theory -- I haven't been yet). Makes use of the large space to provide something whimsical and welcoming that (hopefully) isn't too self-serious. Could be a modern day corporate analog to the Morgan Library or some such thing.
Well said. The Burberry store is like Derek Zoolander performing "Blue Steel" on the runway. If there was some self-awareness in the design it might be cool.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 5:46 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 10:36 PM

Work is underway at the former Old Navy / Gap store on State Street. It's going to be a Primark, an Irish fast-fashion retailer. I think most of us were expecting that building to be redeveloped to a highrise at some point.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Work is underway at the former Old Navy / Gap store on State Street. It's going to be a Primark, an Irish fast-fashion retailer. I think most of us were expecting that building to be redeveloped to a highrise at some point.
Y'all think a highrise is ultimately going there? Can't imagine that. The old Gap is a beautiful building anyway.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:08 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
State Street seems to be having a bit of a resurgence at this point, especially with the new UNIQLO and now Primark. Two large spaces now filled by popular international retailers. Sure, there are always going to be retail churn, but at least absorption seems to be positive at this point!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 4:12 AM

Tower crane base in for the Rush outpatient expansion on Ashland and 290.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 4:27 AM

There's been a good number of new 2 and 3 unit buildings permitted in the general area of this lately. Still a year off from when they'd plan to even start it:

Apartments planned next to CTA station in Bronzeville

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...on-bronzeville

Quote:
A Chicago development team plans a 91-unit, $27 million apartment project with room for three to five retailers at the CTA Green Line’s 43rd Street stop in Bronzeville, using long-vacant city-owned lots and some tax credits.

Startup P3 Markets is partnering with Habitat’s affordable-housing management and community development arm to build the 43 Green project, which will target young professionals who don’t own cars.

“The area around the 43rd Street stop is very barren,” said Ald. Pat Dowell, 3rd, who represents the neighborhood. “So this development will help re-energize the 43rd Street corridor and bring new life to 43rd Street and hopefully increase ridership and business growth around the el station.”

The goal is to make the area look more like North Side neighborhoods that boast high-rises offering residences, restaurants and stores centered on public transit, Beckham said.

Rents in the project are estimated to range from $925 to $1,750 for studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments.

Beckham expects the development will appeal to young black professionals who grew up in the neighborhood but are drawn to amenities in the South Loop, West Loop and Hyde Park.

“These new developments are based on what their needs are—transportation, amenities and access to their jobs,” he said. “A lot of these kids are coming out of college with debt, and they’re moving to the South Loop or West Loop and they’re paying $2,000 for a one-bedroom.”

Beckham aims to secure his funding by late fall 2020 and complete the project in 2021.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 5:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
State Street seems to be having a bit of a resurgence at this point, especially with the new UNIQLO and now Primark. Two large spaces now filled by popular international retailers. Sure, there are always going to be retail churn, but at least absorption seems to be positive at this point!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Has anything replaced Topshop/Topman yet? Seemed like a thriving fast fashion chain, was surprised to see them bail on the US. I have a few nice things from them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development