HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Now that I'm thinking about it, the concept of "cottage life" never really had any meaning until I lived in Ontario. This is despite visiting family in the GTA at least once a year.
I bet it has a lot to do with the vast amounts of lakes not even counting the great lakes that are within a few hours drive of our major cities. People want to be right on or near bodies of water when looking to rent or buy cottages.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I never understood any celebrity but local ones having cottages in Muskoka. If you're based in NYC, you have the Hamptons and Poconos. If you're in LA you have coast and mountains to choose from. And/or a ranch. I can only assume they have one of those already and the Muskoka house is just more surplus.

I remember coming across this a few months ago.

@davidbeckham/Instagram

Muskoka is nice, but I've never thought of it as stunning. Mind you, to Americans in some places, it might be when compared to home due to the fact that so much of American lakes, particularly outside of the Rockies region, is turbid water. While most water in Canada is clear.

And I find it odd that the nicest of the three main Muskoka towns is the one farthest away from Toronto, which is Huntsville.

If I'm rich and have my pick of lakes and regions, I don't think I'd go with Muskoka because I'm rich enough to have a cottage mansion 1 hour or maybe 1.5 hours max. away. Don't want to waste time stuck in traffic on the 400. There are dozens of nice lakes with similar features that are closer.
Among the rich/famous, the one who really should have a place in Muskoka is Elon

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Among the rich/famous, the one who really should have a place in Muskoka is Elon
No he will buy a Gulf Island in BC.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:47 PM
Ham-burgher

Damn, Domi (always a fave) has a gargantuan cranium. Explains a lot. Rock on!

Unless the other dudes have very small heads. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post

@davidbeckham/Instagram

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Dec 7, 2022 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:58 PM
菠蘿油

I haven't been to Muskoka, but if it's anything like the Laurentians in Quebec, there's a kind of atmosphere that is unlike anywhere else I've been. A million serene lakes surrounded by craggy terrain dotted by pines and maples. Clear, clean water that is just warm enough to swim in during the summer. Chilly nights that make it a pleasure to have a fire. And it's not so far from civilization that you can't have a luxurious house with high-speed internet, or easy access to a major airport.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I had a lot of friends growing up that had old family cottages. Nothing fancy, pretty much glorified cabins. I think most have now been sold. tear downs for luxury cottages. I would never own one unless I was planning to live at it part of the year. They can become more a burden that for some rather then a thing of relaxation. My friends and I just rent cottages now. It's a pretty cost effective trip to take with friends and you can try cottaging in different areas. I'm a huge fan of Haliburton, and Parrysound. Muskoka, at least the centre portion of it has become too busy for my liking. It is rugged and beautiful though.

I could happily live near Dorset on Lake of Bays. Shania Twain has her cottage there and it's only a 25 min drive to Hunstsville.
I saw Shania getting off her boat in Dorset once haha. It’s definitely a beautiful area, but Lake of Bays is right up there price wise with the big 3 muskoka lakes.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 2:54 AM

True but it has few cottages with less access.when I lived in Huntsville around 2000 Shania Twains sister still worked at the shoppers drug mart in town.

In Bala Muskoka I was with friends when a massive deep red speedboat pulled up to the bar we were at. About 12 people got off. It was a bunch of coked up Americans came and sat next to our table. This really odd girl was hitting on me. Anyway long story short she said her Dad owned Heinz.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I agree, lived in Hunstville for almost 5 years and of Muskoka's main 3 towns Huntsville was the nicest. Gravenhurst was referred to as the armpit of Muskoka.

Also, where can you find areas with simmiler featurs to Muskoka, haliburton, or Parrysound within 1.5 hrs of the city? If they exist would they not cost more then further away?
These show the region of Muskoka. There are many lakes south of the big 3 lakes. And many inlets and harbours, etc on Georgian Bay. Waubaushene in the bottom left for example, has tonnes of islands and bedrock like Muskoka. Sparrow Lake or Long Lake to the left also have bedrock and similar trees.

These are basically anywhere from 1:15 to 1:30 minutes from say Vaughan. Or add another ten minutes if coming from North York. Going further up to some rich spots in Muskoka you can add another 45 minutes to the drive.

Of course, there are big cottages on many lakes but they don't have the grandeur of the rich Muskoka lakes where a high percentage of cottages are fancy and not quite as nice geography but still share similar features, just not exactly. They are also clear and deep, where power boats are allowed. And many of the lakes and harbours have resorts too.

I think why the big Muskoka lakes are where the rich congregated was because they are so big. You can take boat trips that last all day hopping around different lakes. And because it's not one of the massive Great Lakes, you won't get the same level of wind and can easily find shelter.

There lakes in the rural GTA that 40+ years ago were considered cottage lakes like Lake Wilcox in Richmond Hill where my old boss grew up cottaging or Caledon Lake. Both of which I have fished twice and to this day float planes still land at Wilcox. Of course, most houses there now are primary homes. Not far enough away from city life to be a cottage.

print screen windows 7

Last edited by megadude; Dec 8, 2022 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:27 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I haven't been to Muskoka, but if it's anything like the Laurentians in Quebec, there's a kind of atmosphere that is unlike anywhere else I've been. A million serene lakes surrounded by craggy terrain dotted by pines and maples. Clear, clean water that is just warm enough to swim in during the summer. Chilly nights that make it a pleasure to have a fire. And it's not so far from civilization that you can't have a luxurious house with high-speed internet, or easy access to a major airport.
This is probably the best description of both those places that I've ever read.

(the cottage I stay at only has 60 mbps download).

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:30 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Damn, Domi (always a fave) has a gargantuan cranium. Explains a lot. Rock on!

Unless the other dudes have very small heads. lol
Legend tells it that they had to create a new size of helmet to fit that guy's head..

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Luckily cottage life doesn't really have much to do with depressing downtown life.
I worked with a guy whose family has a cottage on Stewart Lake in Mactier, next to the big Muskoka lakes. He grew up in Hoggs Hollow, a super rich area off Yonge Street in North York. So I imagine his cottage is nice.

I was driving back from Muskoka three years ago and instead of taking the 400, I took side roads so I could pass through towns and villages. When I got there I felt like I was in Eastern Kentucky. Some of the houses reminded me of that. Along with the little bit of elevation change on the streets around their little village. And the number of old pickups. Oh, and the abundance of unpaved driveways.

The waterfront however was recently updated for their little playground, beach, gathering area and parking lot, as one would expect. The cottage weren't Muskoka level but nice none the less.

I have driven around several Applalaichan towns and i've seen a 400 lb guy with overalls on and no shirt riding an ATV on the road. This was not at that level for sure, but I didn't feel like I was in Ontario anymore.

For a place that doesn't have a single house that looks like another in town, the housing stock was sure unimaginative. I remember thinking how the houses were so plain and there wasn't a single one where I'd say "oh, that's nice". Just browsed on streetview for a couple minutes and still the same thing. At least not many are actually run down so I'll give them that.

Anyway, I took a pic of the lake and sent it to him and in his reply he mentioned that there was a serious meth problem in town. But nobody goes into town except for the Foodland and LCBO.

Last edited by megadude; Dec 8, 2022 at 12:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I saw Shania getting off her boat in Dorset once haha. It’s definitely a beautiful area, but Lake of Bays is right up there price wise with the big 3 muskoka lakes.
Speaking of country stars, I saw Johnny Cash by himself in the bagging area at the airport in Mo Bay, Jamaica. He had a house there for the longest time. It always feels odd when you see a mega star out in the world by themselves. Though I don’t imagine Shania was on her own that time you saw her.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:51 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Legend tells it that they had to create a new size of helmet to fit that guy's head..
With room to come off easily in the event of random fisticuffs.

Video Link

Major sidebar, but my FAVOURITE Tie Domi moment at about 4:02. Folks, this is the definition of "Old Time Hockey!" Not that I agree with this... keep your eyes on the puck, or rather where the puck will be.

Video Link

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Dec 8, 2022 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I've seen Eileen (Shania) many times.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Me and niwell have discussed this at length. Kenora/Lake of the Woods is a beautiful area in summer, and then when the cold weather hits it reverts back to northern/northwestern Ontario gritty town.

I'd love to rent a place there for one week or more a year if I could
As much as I like Lake of the Woods, you'd be better to go to Lake Temagami which is much closer and not much different.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 6:01 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
LOL Hextall is the best.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 6:09 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
LOL Hextall is the best.
Not that game.

I'm not a big Leafs fan, but that night I definitely was. Respect to all players though.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 1:26 PM

I totally forgot about the couple of times NHLers sent in, via broker, mortgage applications for cottages. Wish I remember where they were. I want to say both were Kawarthas or possibly one was in Haliburton. I was covering that region at the time. It was Steve Downey and Ed Belfour. Nice cottages but they weren't quite the shack that Lemieux had in Tremblant.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mario-le...sale-1.4029272

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 1:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Notorious and rich Muskokamonster. Famous for colliding with another boat, with casualties.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
As much as I like Lake of the Woods, you'd be better to go to Lake Temagami which is much closer and not much different.
Like LOW of the woods is popular with anglers chasing giant walleye, Temagami is popular with those chasing giant smallmouth bass. Vast swaths of N. Ontario has lakes with absolute tanks in them which don't have the same fishing pressure as the southern lakes that also have pigs in them. Simcoe and Erie produce giants as well but people say you'll catch more quantity up in the north. Not sure how they get so big when the feeding season is shorter. I ain't a marine biologist.Smallmouth do well in colder waters, unlike the largemouth variety of bass.

When it comes to bass, a lunker, on the pro tour circuit, would be a 10lb largemouth or 6lb smallmouth. In Texas, Cali and Florida, etc, you can catch a 10 pounder, which is phenomenal, but not earth shattering. Their records there are double the Canadian record, which is 10.5 lbs, caught in a lake in Stouffville, which is just north of Markham. That was in the 70's. Of course, being where that is, that's overfished now and no way you're finding that now.

For smallmout, the world record is 12 lbs. Canadian record is just about 10 lbs. This was caught in northern Kawarthas but you can find 9 pounders from there all through up to N. Ontario. Someone showed me a pic of them holding a 9 pounder they caught in Gibson Lake in Muskoka a few years ago. You can also catch 7-8 pounders in Lake Simcoe not far from the launch in Barrie, but you have to know the right spots and conditions. Taro Murata, who is sponsored by Honda, is like the expert on that lake and catches those sizes relatively frequently.

Last edited by megadude; Dec 8, 2022 at 3:15 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada