HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 4:05 PM

I used to eat at Lindy's Deli in Culver City.
Great fries.
Probably unrelated....

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
Lindy's restaurant was located at 3656 Wilshire Blvd. at Hobart, They expanded with a cocktail lounge and outdoor dining in 1937.

LAT 7.23.37
I had to look up Vi Bradley because I'm fascinated by pre-1950s American entertainers who never made it past the outer fringes of the business. Vi somehow recorded six songs between 1935 and 1941.

I Take to You
at Internet Archive. (Her vocal stylings are pretty much as I expected.)

I take to you
Like eggs take to bacon
Like cocktails take to shakin'
I take to you!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Here's a post of mine from "a few" years ago:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=1843

A GSV from Sept 2022 from more or less the same spot on Fig:

The L.A. Conservancy should see to it that this important relic of a very important feature of Los Angeles's past is protected and preserved!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I don't know how long the street lamps have fallen into disuse but. . .

. .unless I'm seeing things - it appears someone has secured the lamps with wire in hope of saving them.

Telegraph Road

The lights have been abandoned for as long as I can remember--I first noticed them in the early 1960s when traveling to Disneyland. The protruding wires seen in the photo are the remnants of a means to hold the globes in place.

We do see the street lights with their original globes in the 1957 film "No Down Payment" during the opening credits. As a bonus, the soon to be unhappy couple played by Jeffrey Hunter and Patricia Owens also take the Marianna Avenue onramp to the Southbound Santa Ana Freeway. That ramp used to deposit drivers into the left lane. It was abandoned for many years and finally demolished. Some of the ghost remains.

My attempts to post photos always end in disaster, so if a fellow noirisher can find the clip from "No Down Payment" and post a screen grab, that would be awesome.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 4:43 AM

Is this the shot you were referring to from "No Down Payment"? I love the Anaheim housing tract billboards a few seconds later.

YouTube

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Is this the shot you were referring to from "No Down Payment"? I love the Anaheim housing tract billboards a few seconds later.

YouTube
Yep--that's the one. The pylon we see on the left is still there.

"No Down Payment" Jerry Wald Productions (for) 20th Century-Fox. Released by 20th Century-Fox.

Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:37 PM

Found this on eBay today.

Listing says: "Unmounted Photograph of Los Angeles Wharf Bait Shop, Restaurant, & Wharf Office >> Interesting b/w unmounted photograph of a few businesses on a Los Angeles wharf. Looks to be 1930-40s. One the far right is the Wharf Lunch Room. They offer red hot clam chowder for 10 cents. The chef stands in front with a large chef’s knife. Next door is a bait shop. Numerous very large fishing poles stand in front of the shop. One pretty large fish hanging there as well. One the left is the Los Angeles & Redondo Railway Company Wharf Office. Three men stand in front here too. 4 ½” x 8” and unmounted. No photographer noted. Clean."
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304724622596?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Found this on eBay today.

Listing says: "Unmounted Photograph of Los Angeles Wharf Bait Shop, Restaurant, & Wharf Office >> Interesting b/w unmounted photograph of a few businesses on a Los Angeles wharf. Looks to be 1930-40s. One the far right is the Wharf Lunch Room. They offer red hot clam chowder for 10 cents. The chef stands in front with a large chef’s knife. Next door is a bait shop. Numerous very large fishing poles stand in front of the shop. One pretty large fish hanging there as well. One the left is the Los Angeles & Redondo Railway Company Wharf Office. Three men stand in front here too. 4 ½” x 8” and unmounted. No photographer noted. Clean."
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304724622596?
Interesting photo Snix. From the clothing, etc., general look, my guess would be around 1910 or 1915 give or take 5 years. Pre-1920s. Those 3 fellows on the left look like they stepped out of the old west. I wonder if the photo was taken in the San Pedro area, or could it be one of the beach towns on the westside? Maybe Redondo Beach since Los Angeles & Redondo railway is mentioned. Redondo has long had fishing activity. As a kid I used to go out on the fishing barge a few miles off the coast. Caught scads of rock fish and once hooked an 8 foot thresher shark, fought it for a few hours. When it surfaced, my line broke. Thresher shark is very tasty, and even back then (around 1970) an 8 footer could be sold to a fish market for over $100. My tackle just couldn't handle it. I was just fishing for rockfish and sablefish, not sharks. I still hope that shark survived our unintended encounter. The deep Redondo Submarine Canyon off the shore was a very productive fishery, although I later learned some of the fish in this area may be contaminated by DDT residue. A large DDT plant used to exist in the Torrance area. Thanks Snix for the interesting photo.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 6, 2022 at 12:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 5:18 PM

odinthor's recent posting of some images from Robert G. Cowan's quaint 1969 book of reminscence and random images, A Backward Glance: Los Angeles: 1901-1915, prompted me to go looking for my own copy. Here are two more images from it that depict houses. I'm wondering about the caption of the first view--I can't reconcile it with 1910 or later Baist maps of the intersection indicated and am curious about that big Colonial house closest--anyone have any ideas about it?

Below is a pic is a side view of Elden P. Bryan's wild house at 41 Westmoreland Place--we've seen it before on NLA but perhaps not a closeup of its south side. More pics of the house are in my history of it here. Bryan was one of the developers of gated Westmoreland Place, which was a big flop--9 houses built on 64 lots. A history of the tract is here.

The title page has this notation: "Issued to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the founding of California for the Historical Society of Southern California."

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 7:28 PM

Hmmmm. GW, for what it's worth, here's the stretch of Westlake Avenue from 7th (lower left) north to . . . ummmmm . . . I think it's W. Maryland St. (upper right), the crossings between being Orange (Wilshire), and 6th.

1909 birdseye map

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:44 PM

Here's an amazing photograph postcard of an apartment building that we've only see once from a distance.

"1910s LOS ANGELES rppc NOLEN APARTMENT BLDG 512 W FIRST ST. California"

eBay

. .and the reverse. .

. .turned to avoid neck discomfort.

Go HERE to see HossC's earlier post with the Nolen.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 1:43 AM

Dating the photo by the LA&R sign doesn't help much unless we're on Wharf Three. Just to clarify, the LA & Redondo only ever ran between its namesake cities though it did offer three different routes to make that trip. Through service began in 1890, and the company itself was apportioned between PE and LARy in late 1910 preparitory to the Great Merger of 1911.

Wharf Three was a latecomer, having been built c1902-05. So if you can locate the bait shop on that wharf, you're in business for banding the date of the photo. Note that LA&R owned the Redondo wharves, so they likely had offices on all three. Sorry I can't be more help!

Last edited by HenryHuntington; Dec 8, 2022 at 1:01 AM. Reason: syntax

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:44 AM

In re: The Nolen Apts., 512 W. 1st. St., of e_r's posting two up

The postcard is signed by whom I take to be the wife of the owner of the apartment building. Going by the CDs, the Nolens appear to have started living at 512 W. 1st. St. about 1906, and the place was advertised in the LA Herald as the Nolen Apartments from 1909 to 1915.

But as the years in that term went on, it seems the Nolens tired of the property:

LA Herald, 11/14/1912

In 1924 (see last two paragraphs of article) . . .

LA Times. 2/3/1924

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:47 AM

Thanks so much for information on the Nolen Apartments, odinthor! .. Excellent sleuthing.

And I love the moonshine story. ...hic-cup

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 7, 2022 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:28 AM

438 S. Westlake Avenue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
I'm wondering about the caption of the first view--I can't reconcile it with 1910 or later Baist maps of the intersection indicated and am curious about that big Colonial house closest--anyone have any ideas about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Hmmmm. GW, for what it's worth, here's the stretch of Westlake Avenue from 7th (lower left) north to . . . ummmmm . . . I think it's W. Maryland St. (upper right), the crossings between being Orange (Wilshire), and 6th.

1909 birdseye map

The 1906 Sanborn Map matches odinthor's 1909 map in showing just three homes on the east side of S. Westlake Avenue
between Maryland and 6th. The big Colonial would be 438 on the left:

ProQuest via LAPL

Oscar and Alice Farish appear to have built 438 S. Westlake in 1896; Oscar's last listing there is in the 1900 city directory:

May 9, 1896, Los Angeles Evening Express @ Newspapers.com

1897 LA City Directory at fold3.com

By 1901 it was advertised as a lodging house:

May 20, 1901, Los Angeles Times @ Newspapers.com

Its demolition permit is dated October 16, 1923.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 1:21 PM

Excellent sleuthing FW. All seems to add up. "438" became "538" between the 1910 and 1914 Baist maps, apparently in the citywide post-annexations rejiggering of streets and addresses. The house was technically south of Fifth Street.... Interesting that the 1923 demo BP indicates "438" (no lot number indicated on it to confirm--permit-pullers and the building dept were incredibly sloppy back then, and, really, all through the decades). I was hoping to find another image of it but no luck.

1910 & 1921 Baist maps

LAT 4-5-14

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:31 AM

Anything remain of these 1900-1910 homes along Westlake?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 7:08 PM

Apropos of, well, very little...I just noticed that by the end of the year this forum thread could reach 3000 (!) pages. Or 6000 if you set the posts per page at ten instead of twenty like I do. So that would mean there's 17 or 34 pages to go, or 340 more posts to make. Which would be around 14.2 posts a day. However, 340 posts previous to this one occurred around October 12th. So unlikely.

Anyway, I saw this interesting article:

The Japanese Fishing Village That Vanished From Los Angeles
Link HERE.

© National Archives
80 years ago: View of main street at Terminal Island in Los Angeles Harbor, 1942.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 7:35 PM

There was a big super bright moon like this over Los Angeles last night!

Lubbil-com

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 8:09 PM

KNX broadcast Paris Inn

We've seen images of Bert Rovere's Paris Inn at 210 East Market St before (there certainly seem to be a lot of them. Ol' Bert must have been quite the showman. They even had their own theme song!) But I don't think we've seen this fold-out advertisement for a KNX broadcast from the mid 1930s. It came to me as a PDF but to convert it to JPGs, I had to divide it into two images:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos