HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 9:15 PM
if I sang out of tune

Yeah sure, but if it's the same function, same named church imo it still has historical value continuously, not like a skyscraper being rebuilt over another office, over housing, over a field, over some Roman walls through the ages. The former is still the same site, same name, congregation etc they replace parts every few hundred years and cataclysms, and add to the fabric of the building.

Dark Ages I shoulda said, Dark Age walls, arch and crypt. This photo illustrates the history of the place beautifully, and the different layers like strata through the building:

Last edited by muppet; Jan 2, 2023 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 9:45 PM
if I sang out of tune

Another fine example would be Temple Church, dating from the 1200s but in layer upon layer. The design of the unusual round tower is the kind used to pay homage to the Church of Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem -a nod to Dark Ages design. Note different stages of stonework, ending in positively Georgian refacing of Bath stone at the top:

The ancient doorway - the different colours of stone show the 1200s original on the inside, and Victorian restorations on the outer 3 columns. The stone on the walls beyond, on the left medieval, on the right the Georgian refacing

13th Century tombs watch the layers of history rise above them, literally

While those from the Tudor times get a baroque makeover a century later:

The intricate medieval glass is actually an entirely new commission from 1957:

And no ones sure which of the gargoyles' are Victorian (who had a hard on for medievalism) or genuinely Gothic

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Nice try.

Of course, I agree that they are "destinations". I wouldn"t think of spending a morning in one and move onto another in the aft. As far as commuting goes, New Yorkers aren’t all umbilically tethered to subway trains. Besides, are we just concerned about New Yorkers hometown destinations, or the unwashed visitors at large?
I explained to you why I called them far flung.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 12:30 PM

As São Paulo and tourism are the subject and I'm SSP's only resident and one of the few that even been to the city, let me bring some pics by me. They're from a resident point of view, not from a tourist though. Other pics can be checked on São Paulo's thread on my signature.

That's a typical SP winter's pollution. In SP, winter is much drier than summer and this combined with the cold weather contribute to this cloud. Gladly, it's becoming much less rare than it was in the 1970's-1990's. Perfectly blue skies are very common these days. I took this pic in 2018 (?) from the top of one of the offices of the bank I work for, on Paulista Avenue, which is itself located on the highest point of urban SP. The building is new (2015(, and it's 140m high or so. Av. Paulista's tallest now.

And those are for other floors of the buildings. They give a good idea of São Paulo's urban morphology and you can see some of the few modernist residential on Paulista Avenue:

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 12:35 PM

Now a bit of São Paulo's "Historical Triangle" where the financial district used to be. Today, only banks' backoffices stay there and the stock exchange (although everything is online this days). It's still São Paulo's judicial centre though.

It's full of classical buildings, very impressive art nouveau (at least two more impressive than anything I've seen in Brussels) and the street is a mixed of Manhattan's Financial District and pedestranized areas of European city centres. Pics don't capture perfectly, but on the ground, streets much few narrower, giving a mix of medieval/Gotham City vibes. Unfortunately the region is still impacted by urban decay, although remains as country's bigger retail centre geared towards low prices.

This one is to warm ihearthed towards SP. It's inside a classical building converted in one bank's cultural space:

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 12:47 PM

New York Times:

36 Hours in São Paulo: things to do

Quote:
São Paulo is a city for city people, where street art, street noise and street food cede, but only occasionally, to high design, high rollers and high-end restaurants. Brazil’s biggest city has long attracted migrants and dreamers, making it a great place to explore the country’s kaleidoscopic variety of regional cuisines and musical genres. If crowded buses, clogged streets and 12 million people living in horizon-obliterating highrises is too mega a megacity for your taste, at least stay a few days, breathe in the culture, spit out the exhaust fumes and be on your way with stories to tell.
Then he proceed to delivering a very comprehensive itinerary which is quite good.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 12:47 AM

Not a surprise:

São Paulo is the most searched destination by Brazilians to travel in 2023

The survey was conducted by Kayak, a travel seach engine, between Nov 2022 and Jan 2023. The list:

1. São Paulo
2. Rio de Janeiro
3. Recife
4. Salvador
5. Lisbon
6. Fortaleza
7. Maceió
8. Porto Seguro
9. Natal
10. Buenos Aires

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions