HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
This occurred to me, too. 9092 Rainey or whatever it's called is taller by about 50' and has only 446 units. I'm sure it's not apples to apples, but still . . . as a broad measure . . . this new tower's going to have very small units.
The size of units above in the affordable housing table look about average to me.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 3:49 PM

If this is replacing the food truck area that is pretty significant. This is going to break up the last major cluster of the bungalows along rainey street. This will pretty much mark the end of rainey street as we know it (though that is not necessarily a bad thing, just stating my observations).

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 5:20 PM

Here's a link to the Rainey Tower Drawings for anyone interested. It's a shared file similar to Dropbox. No guarantee on how long it will be shared.

https://studio.bluebeam.com/share/qy5oor

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The size of units above in the affordable housing table look about average to me.
I guess I didn’t mean smaller than average per se, but just a lot of smaller units… not 3/2s or whatever, but 1/1s as noted. It’s def skewing towards the young professional/singleton market, rather than families.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post
If this is replacing the food truck area that is pretty significant. This is going to break up the last major cluster of the bungalows along rainey street. This will pretty much mark the end of rainey street as we know it (though that is not necessarily a bad thing, just stating my observations).
Yeah, I mean I am fine with high-rises being developed in the Rainey area. But what I don't want is them replacing bars/restaurants that were there, without any sort of substitute.

For example, I really liked 9092 Rainey when it had the plans to incorporate both Bungalow and Container bar into the base.

This on the other hand seems to really only be replacing one bar -- although, it also looks like they have a space for a "tenant" on the ground floor as well. So overall, it might not be any sort of net loss, while still adding residential units....

As for the food trucks, I'm hopeful that with enough demand, there will still be plenty of food trucks in the area, and they'll find a spot. I think almost ever bar on Rainey at this point has a food truck inside of it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
I had this same thought. Something about it is more significant than the other losses, though it's hard to say exactly what and why.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 12:18 PM

Remember, the Rainey Street of bars in old bungalows was just an adaptation to the economic times. The ultimate vision of the rezoning was always to make it a high rise neighborhood. We will soon see the bar era as a momentary transition.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I had this same thought. Something about it is more significant than the other losses, though it's hard to say exactly what and why.
I don't really see how this is more significant. It's mostly going to be on the food truck lot which has no bungalows on it. The trucks should easily find a new spot in the area. There is too much potential business in the area for them not to.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Remember, the Rainey Street of bars in old bungalows was just an adaptation to the economic times. The ultimate vision of the rezoning was always to make it a high rise neighborhood. We will soon see the bar era as a momentary transition.
I really don't think that the bars will go away. Maybe they won't all be in bungalows the way they were, but as with the food trucks, there is too much potential business there for them to go away.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 8:54 PM

i think the most likely course is a transition from a drinks hotspot to a restaurant hotspot. of course there will still be bars but rainey is going to grow up a little bit very quickly as it fills out in the very near future

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:03 PM

I don't have a problem with Rainey getting rid of the rest of the bungalows. I just wonder if this is a case of biting the hand that feeds you. The initial attraction for living on Rainey was being near the hottest night life district downtown. I wonder if the attraction to Rainey will remain as strong once the nightlife is gone (and yes it will be gone eventually unless some highrises suddenly start incorporating bars into their design).

Then again, east austin is shaping up to be the next big thing, and Rainey is a close to there minus the highway

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:10 PM

When I travel I look for unique urban landscapes. Soon Rainey will loose that appeal. It will be "anywhere developed by dis-interested parties"

I really hate seeing how easy people are to give up on interest and texture for the sake of generic filler canyons. Amazing that on the way to a canyon we found an unexpected entertainment district.... that attracted the people that attracted the developers ... AND yet said developers will then tear down the interest that made it a desirable landscape. Just sad and short sighted. Wheres the soul gonE? Where is the unique appraoch that could blend both instead of just becoming another street anywhere. Demand more respect for what soul we have left people.
" Tall" is not a design quality.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
When I travel I look for unique urban landscapes. Soon Rainey will loose that appeal. It will be "anywhere developed by dis-interested parties"

I really hate seeing how easy people are to give up on interest and texture for the sake of generic filler canyons. Amazing that on the way to a canyon we found an unexpected entertainment district.... that attracted the people that attracted the developers ... AND yet said developers will then tear down the interest that made it a desirable landscape. Just sad and short sighted. Wheres the soul gonE? Where is the unique appraoch that could blend both instead of just becoming another street anywhere. Demand more respect for what soul we have left people.
" Tall" is not a design quality.
Agreed, Rainey will lose its appeal if buildings like these keep going up. I've never got the appeal of building these highrises on Rainey. Then again, living on Rainey like this building would be so much fun, unless of course, they tear down the bars.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:25 AM
Love Austin

I lived on Rainey for a few years over a decade ago and still walk there often. To me it's only gotten better over the years. Having a few bungalows and a food truck court on scarce CBD land in a city desperate for housing makes zero sense long term. Feels like the developer is doing an amazing job and placemaking here--excited to see this one through.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Rainey getting rid of the rest of the bungalows. I just wonder if this is a case of biting the hand that feeds you. The initial attraction for living on Rainey was being near the hottest night life district downtown. I wonder if the attraction to Rainey will remain as strong once the nightlife is gone (and yes it will be gone eventually unless some highrises suddenly start incorporating bars into their design).

Then again, east austin is shaping up to be the next big thing, and Rainey is a close to there minus the highway
I think for most home owners in Rainey, the bars are less of an attraction and more of a nuisance. The attractions are being next to Downtown (but slightly removed in a separate enclave), the views, and access to the Butler Trail and Lady Bird Lake.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:24 PM

Its kind of going back to its roots...all residential.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Its kind of going back to its roots...all residential.
very true.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 8:18 PM

Applied for Downtown Density Bonus Program

Tower's did an article, looks like this is going to be a real project.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 8:21 PM

Towers has a massive article on this one:

https://austin.towers.net/at-80-rain...ense-of-place/

Definitely some of the most... atmospheric renderings we've seen so far (more in article):

The roof structure is kind of cool, I guess. I think this one's going to come down to how they pull off the finishes/materials. It could end up being pretty sleek, or could look like a mess.

Architect is Pappageorge Haymes, so same as 307 E. 2nd St.

Also apparently we're getting flying cars

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 8:27 PM

It looks good - especially coming from a student apartments developer.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin