HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 10:12 PM

Montreal Proposal Thread

Seeing how there's a great exodus from MTLUrb to/back to SSP, this thread is primarily for projects that haven't been announced yet but have consultations or ask for the city for approval. So for example 1025 Lucien L'Allier, we don't have a rendering or anything, but we know it'll be a 128-metre condo tower, etc... So any information from city documents and consultations will be here and then when a project is announced, a proper thread will be made.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 12:22 AM
The good old days are now

Un projet immobilier de 400 millions près de l'hippodrome

Quote:
Publié le 24 novembre 2018 à 05h00 | Mis à jour à 07h01
Un projet immobilier de 400 millions près de l'hippodrome

MARIE-EVE FOURNIER
La Presse

Un groupe d'hommes d'affaires québécois vient de mettre la main sur le centre commercial défraîchi Carré Décarie pour la somme de 42 millions. Leur ambition : investir de 300 à 350 millions supplémentaires pour le remplacer par des tours de 14 étages abritant 700 logements, des espaces commerciaux et une tour à vocation médicale.

e nouveau projet devra toutefois être analysé par les autorités municipales dans le contexte d'une circulation routière déjà très dense dans le secteur.

Selon l'acte d'achat daté du 24 octobre, le centre commercial appartenait à la Fondation Azrieli, créée par le milliardaire québécois David J. Azrieli, maintenant décédé.

Le nouveau propriétaire est officiellement la Société en commandite centre commercial Carré Décarie, créée expressément pour cette transaction.

Celle-ci est détenue par l'entreprise 2bd (ex-Trantor Realty), qui regroupe quatre actionnaires : Daniel Assouline, Daniel Benchtrit, Alexandre Bouhadana et Albert Lévy.

L'immeuble de 350 000 pieds carrés est évalué à 28,2 millions, terrain compris.

Construit en 1976, il regroupe une trentaine de magasins, dont Dollarama, Winners-HomeSense, Rubino et Proxim. On y retrouve aussi une clinique dentaire, un centre médical, des bureaux de la Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec, un cinéma et un lave-auto, entre autres.

Le groupe d'investisseurs ambitionne de réduire la superficie consacrée aux commerces (de 550 000 pieds carrés à 250 000) et d'en améliorer la qualité. De plus, il misera davantage sur les usages médicaux et résidentiels.

[...]
https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/eco...hippodrome.php

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 3:02 AM
The good old days are now

Tour Sergakis - Rue Ste-Catherine Ouest (entre Guy et Atwater)
Quote:
Peter Sergakis espère aussi construire les premières tours de sa vie. Son projet de 100 millions au centre-ville de Montréal comprend 300 logements rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, quelque part « entre les rues Guy et Atwater ». À la Ville, le dossier est « en cours d’analyse » nous dit-on, étant donné qu’il « requiert des modifications ponctuelles au plan d’urbanisme ».
http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/3ec6...c__7C___0.html

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:43 PM

Idk if this is a vision or a real proposal, but given that they'll be consultations on this site + the video/renders come from SNC on Vimeo, I'll post it.

https://vimeo.com/306841869?fbclid=I...03GJvbkM8YHMgg

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
If they are going to build residential, please please PLEASE build houses or at least townhouses instead of that or just that 14-story tower to revitalize the area. We desperately need houses or at least townhouses in Montreal not more condos for all the scarce land that is available. If you look at the demographics, the largest population in Montreal are young families with 2+ children. The last thing that young families want is having their children grown up in buildings with no backyard, no space for them to run around and play. If you build houses or townhouses, please build them with at least 3 bedrooms ALL on one floor with a 3rd-floor mezzanine level or ideally 4 bedrooms on one floor so all of the children can stay close to mommy & daddy especially when they are young.

If you want to revitalize a mall, what you need is quality residents in the surrounding neighbourhood, people with $$ to spend at that mall. And this is what you get when you have young families with stable income moving into those townhouses besides the future decarie square just like those families that moved into those chic townhouses and houses besides The Cavendish Mall after they redeveloped part of the Cavendish Mall. And plus townhouses and houses would blend in more with the existing neighbourhood which is mostly single-family units. The only thing if they can consider doing is build better isolations between the townhouses/houses and the mall parking lot not with the backyard of the houses/townhouses right in the face of the parking lot of mall like what some of the houses are to the Cavendish Mall parking lot. Build like a small street or at least some concrete walls separating the mall parking lot from those houses' backyard.

With building of houses/townhouses instead of towers, you would also reduce the potential traffic flow onto the decarie blvd., the biggest concern from many of the CSL counselors which is a legitimate concern. During rush hours, that blvd. is a 1-lane parking lot itself although that is really not this decarie project's problem as this is due to the Cavendish Blvd. being cut off from connecting to St. Laurent in the west so you end up with two cities of people from CSL and Hampstead all relying on this ONE blvd. the Decarie to get into the city it's absolutely ridiculous!! An overpass to reconnect the Cavendish Blvd. was promised to be reconstructed over 5 years ago. 5 years have passed and still nothing is done. Once Cavendish blvd. is reconnected when ppl will no longer need to rely on just decarie to get into the city, the congestion on decarie would get much better. But still in the meantime anything not to add more to the traffic on decarie would help especially when we need low-density housing desperately.

If you really want to build high-density housing, at least try to build 1-2-bedroom apartment buildings so the building would be smaller and would impact the traffic less and you can still have some space left over to build houses/townhouses and you can have the lower sales revenue from selling the houses/townhouses compensated by the higher sales revenue from the more densely populated tower. And then when you revitalize the mall, please please please try to invite some grocery store tenants especially if you are building towers. People need to eat more than they need to wear or getting their nails done. One of the biggest flaw of the decarie square if not the biggest flaw is that there is no grocery store anchor tenants so all of the surrounding residents have to drive out to get food which adds further to the road traffic on decarie and at the same time reduces the foot traffic to the mall. With a grocery store there, at least when it's not chic, it will be practical and you can recoup your investment faster from higher and more stable rent from a grocery store anchor tenant.

Anyway just my 2 cents. I am sure the experts that 2bd hires would know better than me but still hope they can take what I have written into consideration. They've got a pretty tough job ahead. Wish them all the luck!

Last edited by HousesForMontreal; Sep 21, 2019 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:42 PM

Decarie Revitalization Plan

Here is what I propose to revitalize Decarie Square with the townhouses (not as condo but actual attached houses) and the 14-story residential building. See the image url below.

http://u.cubeupload.com/HousesForMon...italizatio.jpg

Enjoy!!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:44 PM

Last edited by HousesForMontreal; Sep 23, 2019 at 2:52 PM. Reason: I need to delete this post but can't.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 3:58 PM
Urbaniste amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HousesForMontreal View Post
Here is what I propose to revitalize Decarie Square with the townhouses (not as condo but actual attached houses) and the 14-story residential building. See the image url below.

http://u.cubeupload.com/HousesForMon...italizatio.jpg

Enjoy!!
I'm getting a 502 error front trying to access your link.

As for family housing, I don't think low density is required to get it. We can develop strong family friendly environments in well designed apartment buildings. Assuming we go with height, I'd go with as many +3 bedroom units and family storage space as possible and a central, enclosed courtyard all residents would have access to and in which kids could play.

However, I perfectly agree with making sure the area doesn't become a food desert because that will impact people's ability to conduct their daily activities in the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwillyjean View Post
I'm getting a 502 error front trying to access your link.

As for family housing, I don't think low density is required to get it. We can develop strong family friendly environments in well designed apartment buildings. Assuming we go with height, I'd go with as many +3 bedroom units and family storage space as possible and a central, enclosed courtyard all residents would have access to and in which kids could play.

However, I perfectly agree with making sure the area doesn't become a food desert because that will impact people's ability to conduct their daily activities in the neighbourhood.
First of all, thanks for reading my long post. The link in my 2nd post actually works for me even when I am accessing it without logging in so you need to try again as sometimes those sites are not that stable. If you still can't access it and if you really are interested in seeing what I have drawn up, let me know and I will see if I can upload the actual image in a private message.

The reason why I propose townhouses instead of 3 apartment building towers as proposed by the developers is actually 3 folds besides raising children in a low-density housing. I agree that low-density housing is not a required residential housing type to achieve space requirement for raising a larger family with children although it is an ideal and more desirable option and I was thinking if there is enough space to build them after building a very high-density housing tower to compensate, then why not?

Montreal is not in shortage of high-rise condo or rental buildings. Just right across from Decarie Square, there are going to be FOUR high-rise high-density condo towers to be built but with just 3 condo townhouses to be built as per the Westbury project. And you already have the Luxor condo building just right beside the Decarie Square on Vezina Street and you have another upcoming huge condo building The Royalmount to be built by the Hippodrome. Seven condo towers all in a tight vicinity of each other, do we really have to build another three 14-story high-rise towers? Like I said, what is in shortage in Montreal is houses or townhouses with each individual backyards for children to play in not just a commune courtyard where children have to travel 14 stories down elevators to reach to play and a basement with again another extra private playroom and storage and dumping space not 2X2 or 3X3 cages aka lockers for storage. That basement is what gives houses/townhouses the extra space that building residential units don't have. With buildings, all you have is rooms in your unit and that's it. Sure you can build 3+bedrooms but besides that you don't really have anything else. When you are single or empty nesters, you really don't care that much because you don't have that much extra storage anyway or anymore and you don't really need that that much space but when you have 2+ children, every single square inch of space counts. You have no idea how much 1 child, just a tiny 40-centimeter little baby would add to the extra space requirement. LOL And besides it would also be a nice contrast to the upcoming neighbourhood as well. With four high-rise condo buildings coming, it would be nice to have some townhouses or single-family as kind of a change of scenery.

Another bigger issue really at this point is the traffic congestion on Decarie blvd. which is extremely congested as it is right now and seven potential high-rise towers are coming including the ones proposed by 2bd. This is going to be extremely taxing on the already congested Decarie Blvd. What's the point of building more housing when the people who's going to be living there can't even get out to go anywhere? Townhouses would add relatively speaking less of stress on the Decarie Blvd. road structure while at the same time create a more balanced and more variety of housing choices to Montreal and to the surrounding neighbourhood.

Many times, less is more. It would be probably slower for the developers to recover their investments but in the long run, it really does benefit the people who will be living in there. If you are going to invest the money to revamp something, you might as well do it for the best option if your funds and the space allows it.

Last edited by HousesForMontreal; Sep 24, 2019 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:18 AM

According to Wikipedia, Decarie Square is about 486K in retail space https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Montreal, more than the 350K that is stated in the article. My plan with the image attached above retains about 1/3 of that for the revitalized shopping centre and the remaining 2/3 of that is enough for about 100 townhouses and the sprawling parking lot right besides the Decarie Blvd can still accommodate a medical building as planned by 2bd and there is still room left over to build 1 maybe even 2 condo or rental residential towers for about 200 to 400 units. So if they buiild 2 towers with about 200 units each, plus the 100 or so townhouses, that comes to about 500 units total. That's just 100 units shy of the 600 - 700 unit that they are planning to build. In my plan, I proposed a rental building but it can be condo building as well if the developers are planning to do it in stages to sell the townhouses and the condos first to get a bit of funds for the revitalization of the shopping centre later.

If you sell the townhouses for about 998K which is about the going rate for 3-bedroom + mezzanine townhouses nowadays, with 100 townhouses, you get close to $100 million. From the sale of the 1 bedroom to 2 bedroom condos, the going rate is between 300K - $400K so we take the average, $350K, for 2 condo buildings of 400 units, you get about $140 million, plus the almost $100 million that you get from the sale of townhouses, you get $340 million in total which pretty much covered what 2bd wanted to spend for revitalization which is $350 million to $400 million which is really doable. If you go for just 1 tower, you get 200 units for a total sale of $70 million plus the $100 million from the sale of townhouses, you still end up recovering at least close to half of the revitalization cost right off the bat. And then you just have to revitalize the shopping centre in stages, one bit at a time. Build the medical centre last. I could be wrong but I always feel that the rent from the shopping centre should be higher but I stand to be corrected. I would first revitalize the shopping centre enough to get a major grocery store anchor tenant (which is badly needed here and was sorely missing before), and accommodate the existing big tenants like Winners. Once the rent from these tenants come in, you would have enough to revitalize the rest of the centre until it's all finished all anew. With FOUR condo towers from the Westbury project just on the other side of the Decarie Blvd., 100 townhouses, 1-2 condo towers in the Decarie square plus the existing Luxor condo on Vezina Street. There is no way you won't make money from the shopping centre tenant rentals. What's killing the Decarie Square now is the empty unrented empty retail space occupying the huge square footage that you still have to spend money to maintain. And then it just becomes a vicious cycle. The less money you get, the less willing you want to renovate and revitalize, but the less you revitalize, the less money you will get coming in because less people will want to rent it and then on and on and on until you get an "eyesore". But once you trim the fat and get rid of the excessive square footage from the retail space and develope it into more valuable usage and then have the remaining retail space renovated and get them more fully occupied, there is no way you won't recover your investment.

You just have to tread every step very carefully. Make sure you always build what people want, make sure you always remain liquid. Don't do everything in one shot. Do in stages. Do the basic first, and then do more and more when more money becomes available. I am sure the experts that 2bd hired would've advised them this long time ago. Lots of fun and lots of adventure ahead for the developers, for CSL and for Montreal on this project! We are all high in anticipation.

Last edited by HousesForMontreal; Sep 24, 2019 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 5:25 PM

dead thread

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal