Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 1:26 PM

Suburban Development News

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2259142/

Mississauga to draft waterfront development plan

ADRIAN MORROW
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Dec. 02, 2011 10:47PM EST

Quote:
Mississauga is forging ahead with an ambitious plan to redevelop parts of its Lake Ontario shoreline by backing the creation of a single agency to oversee it.

City council voted unanimously to have staffers design the structure of a public waterfront development corporation and draw up its budget. Their report is expected early in 2012.
Quote:
The largest component is a new mixed-use neighbourhood, complete with canals, art galleries and a streetcar line, on the former site of the Lakeview Generating Station. City staffers are preparing a detailed plan that should be finished in about 18 months. City councillor Jim Tovey is optimistic construction will start soon after.
Quote:
A citizen task force has also identified several other pieces of waterfront real estate with redevelopment potential. These include a hangar-like building in Port Credit that could be turned into a covered market, and lands that once housed an Imperial Oil refinery.

In the meantime, the city is working on smaller projects along the water’s edge. One involves fixing up a long-abandoned coal pier that juts a kilometre into Lake Ontario from the former power plant site and linking it to waterfront trails. Another entails recreating a wetland near the eastern edge of Lakeview.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:06 PM

http://www.insidehalton.com/what's%2...ng-arts-centre

Quote:
Before an appreciative crowd, Prime Minister Stephen Harper opened the Burlington Performing Arts Centre with a flourish Friday saying, “I am very pleased and proud that our government was able to contribute to this great partnership.”

The prime minister gave credit to Burlington MP Mike Wallace — who introduced him to the crowd — for helping to spearhead the project, noting that the Conservative parliamentarian, while a city councillor in 1999, started a local committee to get it off the ground.

“I know you’ve worked on this for more than a decade … and you certainly have championed it persistently and persuasively since you came to Ottawa in 2006. I know that’s a bit of a victory, so congratulations to you,” said Harper.

Mayor Rick Goldring also called Wallace, the “straw that stirred the drink,” but hearty congratulations from Harper, Wallace and Goldring also went out to volunteers, community members and all those who worked hard over the years to donate their time and money to get the $41-million facility built.

Harper defended the federal government’s investment of $4.5 million, despite a worldwide economic recession and unprecedented levels of debt and deficit.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:07 PM

http://www.insidehalton.com/news/art...ard-boundaries

Quote:
The Town of Oakville will hold a special council meeting to discuss Oakville’s ward boundary review. A date for the meeting has yet to be determined.

Ward 2 Town and Regional Councillor Cathy Duddeck, who was behind the call for the special meeting at the committee level, said all council members should weigh in on the discussion that could reshape the face of the town politically.

The boundary review has been prompted by the growing inequity of population in the existing six wards.

A Town report stated the ideal in a six-ward system should see each ward hold about 17 per cent of the total electorate.

The 2010 municipal election found Ward 1 and 2 each contain 12 per cent of the electorate while Ward 3 has 15 per cent, Ward 4 has 28 per cent, Ward 5 has 18 per cent and Ward 6 has 15 per cent.

Projected growth, particularly in north Oakville, will increase these discrepancies.

The current ward boundaries have been in place since 1990.

A revised ward system must be in place for the 2014 election.

Dr. Robert Williams, the consultant hired by the Town to conduct the boundary review, outlined numerous options, including keeping things the way they are.

“If we are going to do a proper review we have to decide ‘Can we live with what we’ve got?’” he said.

“Maybe the way growth works, it will fix itself in time,” he said.

Williams looked at the current wards as well as a 2005 Citizens’ Task Force Recommendation, which called for six large wards that would run north to south across the entire town.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 9:45 PM

The new Oakville hospital being constructed north of Dundas should spur development above the boundary that has existed for the past 15 years. Unfortunately this means more cookie cutter town homes and retail plazas.

from: http://www.insidehalton.com/news/art...f-new-hospital

Project looks good, but this is going to drastically increase the time it takes to get to the hospital for anyone living south of the QEW.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The new Oakville hospital being constructed north of Dundas should spur development above the boundary that has existed for the past 15 years. Unfortunately this means more cookie cutter town homes and retail plazas.

from: http://www.insidehalton.com/news/art...f-new-hospital

Project looks good, but this is going to drastically increase the time it takes to get to the hospital for anyone living south of the QEW.
Where do you live in Oakville currently?

I'm at Postmaster and West Oak trails.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 9:50 PM

http://www.durhamregion.com/news/bus...y-conservation

Quote:
BOWMANVILLE -- St Marys Cement Inc.'s Bowmanville plant is a North American leader in energy conservation, according to the International Organization for Standards.

On Nov. 15, the cement plant, Canada's largest, received the ISO's first North American ISO 50001 certification for energy management.

Fabio Garcia, manager of plant operations, said successfully managing the plant's energy use is a group effort.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 9:54 PM

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news...concept-branch
Quote:
TD Bank will officially open a new concept branch in Brampton tomorrow (Nov. 19).
Located at 9435 Mississauga Rd., this new state-of-the-art branch includes an innovative, open-concept design, as well as a customer lounge, and community boardroom.
The branch also offers customers and the growing multicultural community of Brampton innovative features and services to provide more comfort and convenience for their banking and financial needs.
As part of the grand opening festivities, cupcakes, hors d’oeuvres and refreshments will be served, and a charitable donation will be made on behalf of TD Bank Group.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 9:56 PM

http://www.yorkregion.com/opinion/ar...of-development

Quote:
I don’t think it could have escaped notice that, in the last two years, it has become almost impossible during certain times of the day to turn left out of the Garden Basket Plaza on the corner of Markham Road onto 16th Avenue.
In the same vein, cars turning left onto Markham Road from the McDonalds and No Frills Plaza are having an exceptionally challenging time finding the right opportunity to merge safely into southbound traffic.
I anticipate this is going to worsen when the two highrises going up on the west side of Markham Road are completed and the people and cars move into the area.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 10:11 PM

Right now I live at school in Waterloo, but my family's house is just east of Allan St. downtown.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Right now I live at school in Waterloo, but my family's house is just east of Allan St. downtown.
Lucky you.

I GO Train it everyday from Bronte to Union and then to St George subway station.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 10:29 PM

Ya, my dad takes the Go train from the Oakville station. Can't say that commuting appeals me, I think I'll have to live in the city if I'm working there.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Ya, my dad takes the Go train from the Oakville station. Can't say that commuting appeals me, I think I'll have to live in the city if I'm working there.
I hope so.

I plan to live downtown or one of the former boroughs once I am done with school. Been in Oakville since I was 4, no more for me.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 12:28 AM
BANNED

Anyone know how things are going with the Aga Khan Museum, Ismaili Centre, and their park, located on the NW corner of the DVP and Eglinton? I hear the exteriors are all basically done and that lighting looks quite nice. Recent pictures?

Looking forward to this entire project opening up in 2014!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:35 PM
BANNED

From Canadian Architect (RSVP info - link):
Quote:
The Centre for Construction & Engineering Technologies regularly features a program of events, including a presentation of the Aga Khan Museum & Ismaili Centre in Toronto by the project team. Featured presenters for this event are: Diarmuid Nash, Partner, Moriyama & Teshima Architects; C. Po Ma, Project Director, Moriyama & Teshima Architects; and Dan Bodman, Project Director, Carillion Canada. The event takes place from 6:30pm to 8:00pm on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 in Room E321 of George Brown’s Casa Loma Campus, located at 146 Kendal Avenue.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 12:55 AM

You can easily see the new hospital from Ford/Dundas. It's pretty tall. Oakville has finally begun developing north of Dundas St and has prepared for it by widening Dundas to 6 lanes in a few sections. The speed limit on Dundas is also now 60 kph through all of Oakville. Five years ago it was still 80 for the most part. That area is no longer rural.

It'll be interesting to see the overall shape of Oakville's built up area change over the next 15 years.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 5:36 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Anyone know how things are going with the Aga Khan Museum, Ismaili Centre, and their park, located on the NW corner of the DVP and Eglinton? I hear the exteriors are all basically done and that lighting looks quite nice. Recent pictures?

Looking forward to this entire project opening up in 2014!
I know it's been years but I must say from photos I've seen they did an incredible job. Sometime I'd love to see that park.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto