HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1041  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 3:06 AM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
Possibly the tallest building in the heart of Uptown. I'm not totally opposed to it. https://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti..._news_headline
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1042  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 8:05 PM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
Then again I wouldn't mind if they split the width of the building and put the other half on the NE corner of Henn/Lake.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1043  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 9:58 AM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
Really like this story of the refurbished Granada Theater. It used to be a block and a half away from my house. Back then it was called the Suburban but they've restored it to the original name now. I loved the interior. I remember seeing the Titanic there when it first came out in 97. Back when it was set up like a regular theater. https://www.southwestjournal.com/new...ain-in-uptown/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1044  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:45 PM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
A nice update on the Girard/Lake/Fremont proposal. Still a work in progress but I see the LOCAL is working with the neighborhood. A 2 tower proposal is a possibility but currently it looks like they lopped off 10 stories on the Fremont side of the project. Plans for tall Uptown apartment tower scaled back slightly
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1045  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:36 PM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
I really like the 2 tower proposal. It would help to balance things here alot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1046  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:22 PM
MPLS_Const_Watch MPLS_Const_Watch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 430
200 12th Ave S -- 11 floors -- apartments -- Downtown East/Mill District -- 10/1/20

Cassions are going in, looks like piles will be soon as well.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1047  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:49 PM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
Awesome. Downtown Minneapolis has so much going on. Much more soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1048  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 12:59 AM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
I sure hope the 22 story Fire Station project gets going soon. Will really help to finish Washington Ave S. So stunning the transformation of the area over the past 20 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1049  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:16 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of your fence
Posts: 9,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
I sure hope the 22 story Fire Station project gets going soon. Will really help to finish Washington Ave S. So stunning the transformation of the area over the past 20 years.
I spy the tallest tower in the crack shack project in that last photo. Has there ever been a concerted effort to Demo them like many of the public housing project eyesores of past decades in cities across the U.S.? But I must say they are interesting pieces of gritty urban architecture when viewed in person.
__________________
Follow The ATX on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheATX1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1050  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 4:48 AM
Drcastro Drcastro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SW Mpls
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I spy the tallest tower in the crack shack project in that last photo. Has there ever been a concerted effort to Demo them like many of the public housing project eyesores of past decades in cities across the U.S.? But I must say they are interesting pieces of gritty urban architecture when viewed in person.
According to Wikipedia, Riverside Plaza was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. It had about $132 million in renovations in 2011-2012, but sounds like it’s still having its problems. However, it has been nearly full most of its life and serves as a landing pad for new immigrants, many of whom are from Somalia these days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1051  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 9:32 PM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
I've kind of always liked the Cedar Riverside complex. Could you imagine how huge it would have been if it all come to fruition. I think if I recall correctly it would have housed something like 30,000 people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1052  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 7:29 AM
Drcastro Drcastro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SW Mpls
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
I've kind of always liked the Cedar Riverside complex. Could you imagine how huge it would have been if it all come to fruition. I think if I recall correctly it would have housed something like 30,000 people.
That’s covered in the Wikipedia article. I’m glad they didn’t build the whole thing, but it was an impressive, ambitious design that was so symbolic of the 60s. When I was attending the University of Minnesota TC campus back in the 80s, they had the full, huge architectural model hung on the wall of one of the open stairwells in the Architecture building - now known as Ralph Rapson Hall. I wonder where that is now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1053  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:37 AM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
As far as Minneapolis public high rises go I don't think this complex is all that bad. I actually enjoy the use of colors. Especially helpful in our cold monotone winters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1054  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 5:45 AM
Chef's Avatar
Chef Chef is online now
Paradise Island
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,130
Riverside Plaza has a ton of section 8 renters but it isn't actually public housing, it is privately owned. It looks like a housing project because it is a brutalist building full of low income renters so people assume it is, but that isn't the case.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1055  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 6:36 AM
Drcastro Drcastro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SW Mpls
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
As far as Minneapolis public high rises go I don't think this complex is all that bad. I actually enjoy the use of colors. Especially helpful in our cold monotone winters.
It certainly helped when they repainted the colors during the renovation. Now it sounds like if they just put in some decent elevators and provided better security it wouldn’t be so bad. But, I don’t live there. It’s fun to think what it could be if it were upgraded to a state that attracted more upscale tenants, but that would be a pretty blatant example of gentrification when there is such a need for lower income housing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1056  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 5:26 PM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Riverside Plaza has a ton of section 8 renters but it isn't actually public housing, it is privately owned. It looks like a housing project because it is a brutalist building full of low income renters so people assume it is, but that isn't the case.
Oh thanks. I didn't realize that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1057  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 1:40 PM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
It certainly helped when they repainted the colors during the renovation. Now it sounds like if they just put in some decent elevators and provided better security it wouldn’t be so bad. But, I don’t live there. It’s fun to think what it could be if it were upgraded to a state that attracted more upscale tenants, but that would be a pretty blatant example of gentrification when there is such a need for lower income housing.
It definitely helps to extend downtown to the south. With the new condos along the river, even more so with Eleven, will help to tie it all together.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1058  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:56 PM
Nordeast Homer's Avatar
Nordeast Homer Nordeast Homer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NE Minneapolis
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
It definitely helps to extend downtown to the south. With the new condos along the river, even more so with Eleven, will help to tie it all together.
Let's hope that there's a 12 to follow and maybe a 13 and 14. We can dream, right?
__________________
Hockey is only figure skating until somebody bleeds...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1059  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 9:17 PM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
Definitely hoping we get a nice cluster of beautiful tall buildings down in that area. Would look so great along the river.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1060  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:54 PM
MN/WI MN/WI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
It certainly helped when they repainted the colors during the renovation. Now it sounds like if they just put in some decent elevators and provided better security it wouldn’t be so bad. But, I don’t live there. It’s fun to think what it could be if it were upgraded to a state that attracted more upscale tenants, but that would be a pretty blatant example of gentrification when there is such a need for lower income housing.
I drove past Cedar Riverside on Wednesday. Have to say those colored panels sure have faded dramatically already. I'd like to say I wish they had they budge to repaint at least every 10 years but I know there's so many of things that need done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:02 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.