HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:54 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
I keep coming back to this diagram:

I don't know where the second design came from, but I love it. It has a Coruscant feel to it, a very imposing permanence that I think would fit very well here, though maybe not in this PART of the city. I could easily see that making a home for itself in the soon-to-be-former Thompson Center.
I MUCH prefer that second design. I don't recall ever seeing it anywhere either.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:11 AM

With absolutely no disrespect to whoever created that diagram, I feel the graphic cannot capture the elegance as seen in the renderings. My rule of thumb is that the live version is mostly always nicer than the renderings ergo I think we are in for an absolute treat. That second design though is a great design. I wouldn't mind seeing it at the NBC parking lot or Thompson Center sites!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
They should cut the condo units. Might be hard to sell depending on the price. Hopefully it'll stay in a range of 1 to 4 million for the condos, although it would be nice if they increase the amount of market rate rentals and up the hotel units. Seems kinda low, the hotel portion.

In such a prominent location, this could be one of the greats in terms of hotels. Might even compete with Trump International nearby.
The Intercontinental, The Gwen, Marriott, Sheraton Grand, Loews, Embassy Suites, DoubleTree, Homewood Suites, and Trump are all within two blocks. Just across the river there's Hampton Inn, Royal Sonesta, Club Quarters, LondonHouse, Comfort Suites. And 300 N Michigan is also getting a hotel component, and will be completed before Tribune gets started. I would not say that the area is crying out for more hotel rooms.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
With absolutely no disrespect to whoever created that diagram, I feel the graphic cannot capture the elegance as seen in the renderings. My rule of thumb is that the live version is mostly always nicer than the renderings ergo I think we are in for an absolute treat.
I think the concave east and west sides is where the magic might lie. There is a lot of opportunity in the treatment and details especially at the corners.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
The Intercontinental, The Gwen, Marriott, Sheraton Grand, Loews, Embassy Suites, DoubleTree, Homewood Suites, and Trump are all within two blocks. Just across the river there's Hampton Inn, Royal Sonesta, Club Quarters, LondonHouse, Comfort Suites. And 300 N Michigan is also getting a hotel component, and will be completed before Tribune gets started. I would not say that the area is crying out for more hotel rooms.
absolutely crazy seeing those all written down one after the other. so many hotels.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 12:58 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think with Tribune, so long as it follows the average time table of 10-12 years for a super tall, from inception to completion, it should be okay. Towers like Vista had renderings back in mid 2014, which we can deduce its inception was probally a year before that or even further back factoring in all of the paperwork stuff.

Tower Verre for example had info around 2007 revealed, and finished this year.

I'd be a little worried if there were any financial issues or money issues with a developer (for Tribune), usually that spells big trouble or cancellations... but if there aren't any, than might be good news. Still sucks we have to wait two years, but the red flags, from what I gather with Tribune, aren't there.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 1:15 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think with Tribune, so long as it follows the average time table of 10-12 years for a super tall, from inception to completion, it should be okay. Towers like Vista had renderings back in mid 2014, which we can deduce its inception was probally a year before that or even further back factoring in all of the paperwork stuff.

Tower Verre for example had info around 2007 revealed, and finished this year.

I'd be a little worried if there were any financial issues or money issues with a developer (for Tribune), usually that spells big trouble or cancellations... but if there aren't any, than might be good news. Still sucks we have to wait two years, but the red flags, from what I gather with Tribune, aren't there.
Agreed, no red flags so far, people seem to be doubtful because of the height but seem to forget that Chicago built the world's first 1,400' building nearly 50 years ago, pretty sure it can do the same (or well taller for that matter) half a century later. It also has to maintain tradition and race NYC of course

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 3:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Agreed, no red flags so far, people seem to be doubtful because of the height but seem to forget that Chicago built the world's first 1,400' building nearly 50 years ago, pretty sure it can do the same (or well taller for that matter) half a century later. It also has to maintain tradition and race NYC of course
Good things take time.

CIM Group has been on a spending spree and has had good success in other states. Golub & Company has had okay quarters as well. I hope it continues. Less chance of it being down sized. Hopefully that Brendan Reilly hack doesn't interject his ego into matters with his anti-density rhetoric. From what I know about him, doesn't sound good. I mean we have Gale Brewer here, and she is incompatible. Maybe that Reilly fella would be better off milking cows in Arthur, Illinois.

Always a pain when politicians suddenly think they have a degree in real estate management.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Meh, things were very different 50 years ago. I'm very hopeful for this one but am being realistic.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 5:01 AM

In Reilly's newsletters the wording makes it seem like he is on board. They must have paid the Alderman tax already...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 2:05 PM

Here's an animation I created of the proposed Tribune Tower East.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 12:02 AM

That's fucking awesome.. ...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:31 AM

^Damn thats tight!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 1:39 PM

What are the chances that this thing, as designed, are going to require a blow-through hole or two?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
What are the chances that this thing, as designed, are going to require a blow-through hole or two?
Adrian and Gordon have probably the most experience in designing and engineering supertalls around the planet... I can happily guarantee you that they will not be suddenly surprised by unforeseen structural or mechanical requirements (i.e. louvers) of this project...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:53 PM

Text/pdf is not yet uploaded, but looks like the zoning change for the tower may be hitting this month.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Text/pdf is not yet uploaded, but looks like the zoning change for the tower may be hitting this month.
App is available now. It states 1442 feet, which means this gained 20 feet. 564 units and 200 hotel rooms. Same as before, but 20 feet taller.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ interesting.

inching ever closer to topping sears.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:47 PM
DENNAB

Nice height bump but it seems they're staying below Sears on purpose, not sure why. Could it also just be a typo?

Hopefully the 400LSD revision tops Sears, feasible if the two towers are combined.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:54 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ interesting.

inching ever closer to topping sears.
I know the official rules of the committee, but it still seems silly to say "topping sears" when the sears tower has a 300 ft antenna on top.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals