HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

ARLINGTON, VA | Amazon Met Park | 325 FT | 2x23 FLOORS

Amazon’s HQ2 in NoVA to Include Unique Helix Tower

Quote:
On Tuesday, Amazon unveiled its plans for PenPlace, the second phase of its $2.5 billion HQ2 in Arlington, Va.

The e-commerce giant will build three 22-story buildings comprising 2.8 million square feet, an amenity building that includes a community gathering space and day care center, and three retail pavilions.

The centerpiece of the project will be HQ2’s fourth and largest tower, a 350-foot building known as The Helix, as it will boast two spiraling outdoor walkways with trees and plants from Virginia that twist to the building’s peak.

“The Helix will include a hill climb that allows people to traverse the entire height of the building and a variety of spaces for individual and team work or relaxation,” Adam Sedo, a company spokesperson, said on a media call. “Designed to reflect a shape commonly found in nature, The Helix will be open to the public select weekends every month.”

The company noted that the new buildings will accommodate approximately 13,000 employees, with room for more.

“We’ve designed a workspace for our employees that will prioritize areas for collaboration, natural light, and a constant interaction with nature,” Sedo said.

Matt de Ferranti, chair of Arlington County’s board of supervisors, said the plans will go into public review so neighbors and stakeholders can have an opportunity to review design concepts in further detail and provide input.

“We expect that the process will conclude with the proposal coming before the county’s Planning Commission and County Board by the end of the year,” he said.

PenPlace will also include three acres of open space with a dog run and a 250-seat amphitheater for public use.

Construction is set to begin in 2022 with completion sometime in 2025.
==================
Commercial Observer

Last edited by Urbannizer; Feb 27, 2024 at 7:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:59 PM

That is neat! Reminds me of those sim city 2000 futuristic buildings you could unlock.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:23 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
its cool and all, but this is all i can think of

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:25 PM

This is a beautiful building.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
“The Helix will include a hill climb that allows people to traverse the entire height of the building and a variety of spaces for individual and team work or relaxation,” Adam Sedo, a company spokesperson, said on a media call. “Designed to reflect a shape commonly found in nature, The Helix will be open to the public select weekends every month.”
Could be an attraction itself.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:54 PM
DENNAB

Holy cow, please build!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 8:12 PM
Meh

That is beautiful. Even those other buildings are pretty nice also. I would really love to see that happen. I love the plaza and trees also. That's something that is really important in an urban space. I know some disagree with that, but if you can have them somewhere then there's no reason not to.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 11:13 PM

my mind also immediately went to the poop emoji lmao

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 12:04 AM
Everywhere all at once

My first thought was Seattle Spheres part-deux-the-sequel-on-steroids!!!!! NoVa 'bout to stand up to DC across the river with its own plethora of dope landmarks.
MY BODY IS READY

Also, a bit of a side topic that I really hope some of you will pick up into a discussion.. is it perhaps time to consider that the Pentagon should be replaced as the US Department of Defense HQ with a new modern facility in a different location? I can't imagine that it isn't fast becoming obsolete with the rapid advances in cyber-warfare as well as new field technologies. It is also in a very vulnerable location, being surrounded by dense urban development, major highways, transit corridors, and a major airport, as well as being sited right on the Potomac and across that river from all the major landmarks (read: targets) of the District. One might even question whether it is wise to have a Metro station providing so direct of access to the complex considering the potential for security breaches or attacks via that system.

Though even so, the reason this initially occurred to me is that, as a structure and a presence, the Pentagon is a blight on the urban landscape, being surrounded by parking lots and an obviously necessary security perimeter. The Helix, a gorgeous new monument to 21st-Century commerce and the coming era of sustainability, will only have between it and the Pentagon several parking lots and the vast I-395 expressway. Additionally, I believe, the neighboring Potomac waterfront and Arlington National Cemetery would be so much better served by a non-federal government neighbor with attractive, urban, and pedestrian-scaled development. This in turn could justify a future initiative to lessen or eradicate the impact of the 395 structure on the surrounding area, something else with numerous benefits.

I suspect that, due to the historic and iconic nature of the Pentagon, it would be conceivable that the building itself be preserved and surrounded on 5 sides by new construction designed to acknowledge it as a centerpiece but invite the newly-urbanized life of Northern Virginia to flow towards and around it. The possibilities for repurposing are endless. A new air & space or warfare museum belonging to the Smithsonian, a companion performing arts center to the Kennedy Center, or a retail/mixed used complex are just a few of the ideas that came to my mind.

It would be wise as well to consider relocating the Deparment of Defense itself to a location which is less central, less exposed and less known to outsiders for protection from future means of attack from as yet undeveloped technologies, all the while removing the inherent risk of the department's presence within a dense urban center teeming with civilian residents and passersby. Consider a building that is a beacon of sustainability, perhaps involving earthworks, as a semi-underground complex might provide more security and cost less to heat and cool. Why not make it have six sides and call it the Hexagon?

Also if a thread exists for this subject already or someone wants to make one I would welcome moving the discussion there. Cheers

Last edited by NYC2ATX; Feb 3, 2021 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:03 PM

HQ Poo

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 8:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NBBJ is working with Amazon to revitalize an underdeveloped site in Arlington, VA, with new offices, community spaces, public retail and landscape

Quote:
The 2.8 million square feet proposed design seeks to re-envision the future of work to better support the wellbeing of employees and the community. The project includes three office buildings that will run on 100% renewable energy.

A variety of inviting open spaces totaling more than two and a half acres will be accessible to the public, including an amphitheater facing a central green that can accommodate outdoor concerts, farmers’ markets and movies. In addition, a forest grove will offer shaded areas for relaxation during the hot summer months. Retail pavilions will be located throughout, enlivened with outdoor seating. In addition to expansive retail and restaurant options, the project will include a daycare, dog park and spaces for food trucks.

To foster a safe and welcoming pedestrian environment, all streets – including those for delivery truck access – will be moved underground. The publicly accessible connections and spaces throughout the site will prioritize walking, landscape and retail rather than cars. Each of the streets surrounding the project will have dedicated entrances that bring bike commuters and visitors directly into the office buildings.

Biophilia – the concept that describes humanity’s innate connection to nature – is the inspiration behind the project at large and a special building on-site called the Helix. The Helix will offer a variety of alternative work environments for Amazon employees amidst lush gardens and flourishing trees native to the region. A true double helix in shape and structure, it will feature two walkable paths of landscaped terrain that will spiral up the outside of the building, featuring plantings found in Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains. Similar to the Spheres in Seattle, the Helix will be open for public tours.
==================
http://www.nbbj.com/work/penplace-at...-headquarters/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 9:23 PM
Meh

Man, I love this thing! The open space reminds me a bit of the plan for Austin's redevelopment of the Austin American-Statesman property. Now I'm wanting something signature for that project. The view of this across the waterfront is gorgeous.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 7:30 AM

Phase I is complete. Phase II was placed on hold.

https://www.costar.com/article/68595...thern-virginia

Last edited by Urbannizer; Feb 28, 2024 at 6:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 1:40 AM

Does phase 2 include the Helix?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive