HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 9:49 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

That open space on the corner is mean to be a public park? That's pretty cool. I wonder how it will be developed.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 12:05 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I'm pretty OK with this. Not everything has to be a tower...
Good point, but a midrise development would have been nice.... 3-4 more floors would have been great.

Either way, glad that empty lot is biting the dust. 100 additional units will help bring more pedestrian activity to this corner of the South Loop. The underground parking is an additional plus.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
YIMBY has plans and renderings of a new development at 1225 S. Indiana.

https://chicagoyimby.com/2023/03/new...outh-loop.html

We knew this would be low-density since the PD for the NEMA towers was approved, but it would be nice to have a bit more depth for this part of the skyline on at least part of the site.

I also wish the design were a bit stronger – we're seeing nicer development of this scale at Madison + Carpenter, for example.
Wasn't this known months ago? Also, 100 units isn't exactly low density in that parcel. More like medium density.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
That open space on the corner is mean to be a public park? That's pretty cool. I wonder how it will be developed.
Read: Public dog shit depository.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Read: Public dog shit depository.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/shit-fountain

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wasn't this known months ago? Also, 100 units isn't exactly low density in that parcel. More like medium density.
Yes, and it was originally envisioned as 100 townhomes back in 2015:

Quote:
A public park and 100 town homes would be built in a third phase nearby off Indiana Avenue.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...ll-south-loop/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Yes, and it was originally envisioned as 100 townhomes back in 2015
I think this is an error in the article. 100 townhouses would not fit on a site of that size - it would need to be ~3x-4x bigger.

The presentation slide doesn't actually say townhouses... My guess is the developer was intentionally vague and just talked about a "lower scale" building or "fitting in" with the townhouses south of 13th.

I agree with leaving out retail here - it should be concentrated along Michigan and Wabash as much as possible. There is a little retail space over there already (Little Branch Cafe, dry cleaners) but I would not add any more.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think this is an error in the article. 100 townhouses would not fit on a site of that size - it would need to be ~3x-4x bigger.

The presentation slide doesn't actually say townhouses... My guess is the developer was intentionally vague and just talked about a "lower scale" building or "fitting in" with the townhouses south of 13th.
Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. And agree about skipping retail at this location.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 5:50 PM
TL;DR

Crain's reporting on the city's LaSalle Street residential plan... they have decided to award TIF funds to 3 great projects. Seems like a slam dunk for Lightfoot to start revitalizing the Loop and catalyze future growth without subsidies on top of the initial projects.

-Field Building (135 S LaSalle): 430 apartments + grocery store
-Continental & Commercial Bank (208 S LaSalle): 280 apartments
-Harris Bank East Building (111 W Monroe): 349 apartments + hotel/rooftop club

Total of 1,059 new households living in the heart of the Loop and a grocery store for them to shop at. All three are landmark quality buildings from different eras (Beaux Arts, Art Deco, International Style) that will be preserved. 30% of those apartments will be affordable.

---------

My only quibble is that the 2nd and 3rd projects are both by Reschke. That guy is also spearheading the conversion of the Thompson Center for Google, and the conversion of 115 S LaSalle for new state offices. He's becoming quite the recipient of city/state handouts. He has a track record of bankruptcy too, so you'd think leaders would be more hesitant to shovel so much cash into his projects. Very risky to put so many eggs in one basket.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 6:55 PM

I was hoping 105 W. Adams would make the cut if only because the current patchwork facade is butt-ugly and the proposal would have supposedly fixed it.

Woof:

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 7:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I was hoping 105 W. Adams would make the cut if only because the current patchwork facade is butt-ugly and the proposal would have supposedly fixed it.
I watched the presentation a few weeks ago. 105 W Adams is complicated. It's apparently set up as a condo with 3 different owners, one for the highrise levels, one for the midrise levels (Club Quarters Hotel) and one for the ground-floor retail.

The two competing apartment proposals were only for the highrise levels IIRC and involved only one of the condos. With the complicated ownership structure, I have doubts that the city grant could have covered a total facade restoration.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:50 PM

Second tower crane is going in at that distribution center at Division and Elston.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:02 PM

Block Club has some interesting insights from the two 46th Ward candidates about what to do with the Uptown Theatre:

Save The Uptown Theatre? Here’s What The 2 Candidates Running For 46th Ward Alderperson Want To Do

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Block Club has some interesting insights from the two 46th Ward candidates about what to do with the Uptown Theatre:

Save The Uptown Theatre? Here’s What The 2 Candidates Running For 46th Ward Alderperson Want To Do
Welp - I hope Kim Walz wins then because her response has actual teeth to it. Angela's response here is very vague, and I don't see how the idea of a "community center" is going to get a renovation off the ground. Numbers matter.

I haven't followed this race at all, so I have no idea who would actually be better for the neighborhood overall, but Kim's response here has a vision that might get a project off the ground. I want to see the theater renovated so bad - It's too beautiful to see go down with a wrecking ball.

Here's to hoping.....

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Welp - I hope Kim Walz wins then because her response has actual teeth to it. Angela's response here is very vague, and I don't see how the idea of a "community center" is going to get a renovation off the ground. Numbers matter.
Angela used the word "community" 11 times, lol.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:55 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post

I haven't followed this race at all, so I have no idea who would actually be better for the neighborhood overall, but Kim's response here has a vision that might get a project off the ground. I want to see the theater renovated so bad - It's too beautiful to see go down with a wrecking ball.

Here's to hoping.....
Yeah...Kim Walz for the win, please. It's absolutely STUNNING to me that the Uptown theater, a major gem in Chicago's cultural landscape, is still just sitting there, rotting away.

And I am fully, painfully aware that it's very expensive to renovate it, but it's absolutely worth it.

I think the bigger issue is that heavy emphasis on entertainment, culture, etc, is not seen as a priority in Chicago, because there's a specific attitude amongst many politicians, community leaders, activists, and the general public, that those are frivolous and secondary aspects of society, while being ignorant of the fact that so much of that segment of society is a massive organ/pillar of commerce, and cities or states that spend money and energy to embrace and promote such things reap many financial benefits in addition to other intangible things like place-making, status, etc., that in turn enhances a local economy even more..the more you spend on something in a smart and logical manner, the more potential benefits you can see. I don't know if this is making any sense, I'm trying to say something specific but not sure if I'm getting my tangential point across appropriately. Sorry.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:10 PM

Lincoln/Halsted/Fullerton

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 7:00 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^^Man....fuuuuuuck graffiti douchebags.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:58 PM

New renderings for the reimagining of Dusable Lake Shore Drive's S-curve at Oak Street Beach:

Source: Crain's

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:17 PM

That is a major improvement and makes the lake front significantly more inviting. Right now in many places LSD might as well be a deep canyon to those on foot or bike. That and hanging out next to that volume of traffic is as enjoyable as having a picnic on side of a highway.

I would take the far north side approach of the city blocks just ending at the lake shore/beach than even these improvements. The reality being I don't see LSD going anywhere in my lifetime so this is at least going the right direction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development