HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 8:36 PM

RICHMOND | CoStar HQ2 | 425 FT | 26 FLOORS

Just to clarify, this will not be the tallest building in the city but it will have the highest elevation and therefore it will be the most prominent on the skyline. The James Monroe Building will still be the city's tallest from ground to roof at 449ft. Nonetheless, a huge vote of confidence in Richmond and a big deal for the city.

CoStar to build city’s tallest building along Richmond riverfront

Quote:
The D.C.-based firm announced Friday morning plans to construct a new office complex along the downtown riverfront next to its current main local office at 501 S. 5th St.

The campus, which CoStar CEO Andy Florance described as the company’s “HQ2,” would span 750,000 square feet and include a 26-story office building and six-story multipurpose building.

https://roanoke.com/news/state-and-r...25d4f0cc5.html

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 7:39 AM

Looks like an all around great project. A new tower, midrise, 2000 new jobs and a blank slate for a site. Good for Richmond!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 8:05 PM
Chairman

This highrise is gorgeous. Great extension of the skyline.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 26, 2021, 11:17 PM
Everywhere all at once

Always exciting to see a smaller city building up its skyline and increasing its stature ... I'm sure this has been spoken about in the past but this tower, along with the new Canal Place building, are adding more and more reasons for them to cover the easily coverable SR 195, at least up to S 2nd Street.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 5:24 PM

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 5:28 AM

is this thing happening?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 12:43 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Looks to be a great addition!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmy2 View Post
is this thing happening?
construction began last year, although it isn't a close up you can see excavation is in its advanced stages.

Civil War structures found underneath CoStar construction site

Quote:
In March, a brick wall was uncovered at the site as well as a brick foundation and concrete slab. Both of these objects were found at the far north end of the site near Bragg Street.

According to the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, the tunnel-like structure is identified in the Virginia Cultural Resorce database as an archaeological resource that was part of the old Confederate Arsenal and Armory in Richmond.
Quote:
once the structure was discovered, archaeologists were called to examine at the site.

David Dutton is an archaeologist in the Richmond area and is acting as a consultant to the CoStar team. He’s a partner at Dutton + Associates LLC. He also was the Chief Operating Officer for the American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar.

Dutton said the discovery is most likely a storm drain, constructed before the Civil War. Its purpose was to move water from the Kanawah Canal down to the Haxall Canal and the James River.
Quote:
Florance told 8news, the Richmond expansion construction site sits on top of where the fall of Richmond took place in April 1865. Florance said explosions left lead from the bullets and cannon balls that blew up. He said construction workers have recovered a massive amount of lead.

According to Florance, the company is spending $15 million to clean up all of the contaminated soil.

Dutton told company leaders the tunnel-like structure has no broad historical significance, so preservation would not be a priority.

Last edited by Hudson11; Jun 25, 2023 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:59 PM

Richmond VA by Evan Stone, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 5:48 PM
DENNAB

Nice, U/C?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 7:51 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Nice, U/C?
Yes. Caisson work started prior to the tower cranes being assembled.

-sb

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction