HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I have never eaten at Arby’s and I’m pretty sure my family has never either.
Didn’t there used to be only one location at Albert Street and 1st Ave North?
Yes, and then they opened a second location on Victoria Avenue East, just to the west of Tim Hortons on Vic @ Prince of Wales Dr.

The Albert Street location is/was a weird one. Originally that building was a Firestone Tire store. The building was L-shaped but they tore down the part on the south side, and left the rest of the building, which became Arby's and now Popeye's. Class dismissed. LOL

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:45 PM

I like Arby's. I just haven't been to one in a long time because I rarely go to the east end of the city (and take-out across the city just doesn't stay warm enough long enough).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:45 PM

Arby's is ok once in a while. I call it the brown baloney place. It's all about the cheese sauce anyway, much like Fuddruckers.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 8:32 PM
Chilean like a villian

I've also never eaten at Arby's and I always confused it with Hardees but the only location left in Saskatchewan is in Saskatoon.

Anyone know why that one failed? It was beside the equally doomed north Swiss Chalet in Superstore North parking lot.

P.S. I have never eaten at Hardees either.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 8:39 PM

I remember when Hardees used to be in the East Home Depot. They where like the subway of burgers.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
I've also never eaten at Arby's and I always confused it with Hardees but the only location left in Saskatchewan is in Saskatoon.

Anyone know why that one failed? It was beside the equally doomed north Swiss Chalet in Superstore North parking lot.

P.S. I have never eaten at Hardees either.
I think you're confusing with Harvey's!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
I remember when Hardees used to be in the East Home Depot. They where like the subway of burgers.
That was definitely Harvey's. I think the last two posters might have both had them confused.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 11:09 PM

Hardees was the male strip club!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 4:22 AM

Hardees and Carl's Jr. are owned by the same company. Apparently (as per internet), Hardees cannot operate in Canada due to the similarity of their name to the Canadian chain Harvey's, and therefore all stores in Canada are of the Carl's Jr. brand.

Personally, I don't like Carl's (at least the Regina franchise) and I didn't like Harvey's.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 2:47 PM

Harvey's has decent burgers. Their fries used to be amazing, and then they changed them (years and years ago) and I stopped going because the fries went from among the best in fast food to among the worst.

Maybe they're not so bad today. Haven't gotten around to going.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Harvey's has decent burgers. Their fries used to be amazing, and then they changed them (years and years ago) and I stopped going because the fries went from among the best in fast food to among the worst.

Maybe they're not so bad today. Haven't gotten around to going.
That happened with Fuddruckers too. Potatoes are super cheap too so it shows just how much these companies try to suck every single penny they can out of their products. I would have paid the extra 10 cents for the old fries from Fudds.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
That was definitely Harvey's. I think the last two posters might have both had them confused.
You are right...I mixed up the names. Harvey's is right...I'm brainwashed by American television

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
That happened with Fuddruckers too. Potatoes are super cheap too so it shows just how much these companies try to suck every single penny they can out of their products. I would have paid the extra 10 cents for the old fries from Fudds.
Many fast food fries suck these days. You need to cover or dip them with gravy/mayo/ketchup, or cheese sauce (as I do at Fudd's). Fries are only good while they are hot and fresh.

Burp (sorry!)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:28 PM

Would love a new upscale restaurant or microbrewery style restaurant for this main floor space. It has always bugged me that the Canada Life building on Scarth has ZERO main floor activity.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:47 PM

There is plenty of activity on the main floor. It is used by Canada Life. There are meeting rooms, training rooms, the mail room, and receiving, as well as other uses.

Currently, there are only around 30 people working in the building. I have worked there for many years.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Damn, that cafeteria was one of the most underrated places to get lunch in downtown. Sad to see it go.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Damn, that cafeteria was one of the most underrated places to get lunch in downtown. Sad to see it go.
Me too. It had one of the best views of any eating establishment in the city. This would have been a much better location for Avenue, IMO. Hopefully when things pick up again someone will takeover this space.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 8:08 PM
arf

Quote:
Agreed. Just one of those kind of hidden things.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 10:04 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
There is plenty of activity on the main floor. It is used by Canada Life. There are meeting rooms, training rooms, the mail room, and receiving, as well as other uses.

Currently, there are only around 30 people working in the building. I have worked there for many years.
They're referencing activity that connects with and spills out onto the street. The type of activity that activates streets and helps create vibrant downtowns. Unfortunately none of those internalized activities do so. In fact, they have the opposite effect.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
They're referencing activity that connects with and spills out onto the street. The type of activity that activates streets and helps create vibrant downtowns. Unfortunately none of those internalized activities do so. In fact, they have the opposite effect.
You got it right. The main floor of that building never made me want to go in. There wasn’t a patio or signage or anything from street view that made it look like a restaurant or bar or retail that I would want to visit. Famoso, right across the street, with signage and a patio I have definitely visited.

An Earl’s or Cactus Club or something else would be great to give some life to that corner. I also would love some trees (tree cells) planted into the sidewalk on the north side of the Canada Life building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan