HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 6:52 PM

...*anticipationnnnn*...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 7:40 PM
The City

Wow. It's gonna be Apple-fied

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I meant to post this the other day...

Soil testing for the redo of Pioneer Court.

This curved wall along with the spiral staircase will be going bye-bye...

From my understanding, the people involved in the project want to be wrapped up just before Christmas 2016.

Is this known for certain? I hadn't heard anything specific about the latest plan, but it was always intended that the glass cube would take out part of the wall in prior non-Apple schemes that my office worked on.

However, the spiral stair and half of the curved wall are on city land, and while it's not impossible that area could be filled in for more plaza, Apple cannot build their store there.

Also, does anyone know if there is a requirement from the city to maintain continuous access to that section of the riverwalk? There certainly should be.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
A billion-dollar makeover for Finkl steel site?
Ryan Ori - Crain's Chicago Business - September 04, 2015

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...nkl-steel-site

I think this is called for:

This could have been a $1,000,000,000 development at the Old Post Office if Bill Davies wasn't an eccentric weirdo.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Is this known for certain? I hadn't heard anything specific about the latest plan, but it was always intended that the glass cube would take out part of the wall in prior non-Apple schemes that my office worked on.

However, the spiral stair and half of the curved wall are on city land, and while it's not impossible that area could be filled in for more plaza, Apple cannot build their store there.

Also, does anyone know if there is a requirement from the city to maintain continuous access to that section of the riverwalk? There certainly should be.
The curved northern wall with the french doors are 401 N. Michigan property. Below the current plaza is the cafe for 401 N. Michigan. They're closed as of 09/27. The plan that I saw had a Grand Staircase leading from mid-level (lower Michigan plaza level) upward.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 6:32 AM

Quote:
09/01/15
This curved wall along with the spiral staircase will be going bye-bye...
Does that mean those trees are being cut down? Quite a shame if true. It'll take 20 years for trees of that magnitude to grow back.
Why aren't they just building out behind that wall? Why change it? What is this nonsense?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Well it's now been another month and STILL no permits on that project. This is fucking ridiculous. Now the problem is with zoning and not with buildings. Every time I resubmit some other department comes back with a whole new load of bullshit and then you can't get a hold of anyone at City Hall for weeks. I literally just called every number they have listed for zoning department employees and not a single one picked up.

Keep this in mind when you are voting. The people receiving these pensions at city hall don't deserve those kinds of benefits and they don't even deserve their jobs to begin with because they don't do them. I've been in for permits now for 10 months going on 11 and all that happens is I get a new, entirely unrelated, pile of shit every time I resubmit.
Exhibit A as to why the zoning code needs to be loosened.

Half of the classic "ye olde" Chicago neighborhood building stock doesn't conform thanks to code revisions and aldermananic driven downzones over the years. If property owners and developers didn't have to jump through so many hoops just to build new contextual development or even work on existing structures, we could reduce the cost of housing and generate a surge of new revenues in permit fees, real estate transfer taxes and additional property taxes.

I know I sound like a broken record, but it is clear that city-wide zoning needs a major overall and the current budget mess might be the driver to get it done. Support for expanding the TOD provisions has cited increased revenues afterall.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 5:35 PM
Urbane observer

Or it could just possibly be that LvdW's client is trying to do something that's just not a good idea. We don't know. All we ever hear is his complaints. He's always very vague about the issue, the project, the location.

We spent a couple of years a decade ago looking at the zoning code. After debating matters for many months, we got the rather modest reforms of 2004. In a republic, the outcome is sometimes a compromise.

What we never got was a remapping, of what zones apply to what parts of the city. That would require some sort of comprehensive plan rather than simply looking at development as a series of transactions.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
What we never got was a remapping, of what zones apply to what parts of the city. That would require some sort of comprehensive plan rather than simply looking at development as a series of transactions.
Yes, this is very much needed.
Quote:
Or it could just possibly be that LvdW's client is trying to do something that's just not a good idea. We don't know. All we ever hear is his complaints. He's always very vague about the issue, the project, the location.
Yes, everyone is pushing a point of view. I am sure there are different views on this subject. I haven't had the impression there is a large imbalance between supply and demand relative to other cities that would indicate there is a lack of development (see article as an example), though there are different ways of measuring supply/demand plus there is the question of what exactly the city needs in the way of housing as well as the issue of developing affordable housing. It is a complicated subject. Some truly objective analysis would be useful.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-professionals

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 2:33 PM

Quote:
The curved northern wall with the french doors are 401 N. Michigan property. Below the current plaza is the cafe for 401 N. Michigan. They're closed as of 09/27. The plan that I saw had a Grand Staircase leading from mid-level (lower Michigan plaza level) upward.
Oh I got that part. I was first asking if you had seen actual plans, which it sounds like you have, and pointing out that while 401 owns about 2/3 of the wall and lower plaza, the part where the french doors stop and turn to arches filled with a wood fence on the west end, including the concrete winder stair is all on city property and technically part of the Michigan Bridge approach. It would seem as such that the public might get the chance to see what they are planning to do there before starting work.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
This could have been a $1,000,000,000 development at the Old Post Office if Bill Davies wasn't an eccentric weirdo.
lol, actually on that topic, why didn't the city get involved with the old post office dev when Sterling bay was willing to put money to buy the property outright? The city sold it to him cheap for the purpose of developing it...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawainpanda View Post
lol, actually on that topic, why didn't the city get involved with the old post office dev when Sterling bay was willing to put money to buy the property outright? The city sold it to him cheap for the purpose of developing it...
The federal government sold it to him. I'm pretty sure the city had no say.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 3:11 AM
Chicago

Northerly Island Park

September 4, 2015

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
September 4, 2015

That strip of land in the lagoon is actually foundation pilings from the 1933 world fair. They found it while they were excavating and decided to leave it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 2:02 PM
Urbane observer

^To clarify a bit, that was the original eastern edge of the island. It was expanded after the war, when Meigs Field was built.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 2:57 PM

When do the trees start getting planted at Northerly Island?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:

We spent a couple of years a decade ago looking at the zoning code. After debating matters for many months, we got the rather modest reforms of 2004. In a republic, the outcome is sometimes a compromise.

My "client", which is me, is trying to pull a radical maneuver called "renovate an abandoned building back to the exact same state is had been for 125 years prior to being abandoned". It's totally a terrible idea to restore a side entrance six flat with a corner store back to a side entrance six flat with a corner store. How absurd of me to think that I should be entitled to continue using the building the way it has been used for over a century.

They downzoned it to R zoning (which is absurd on a block consisting entirely of 3+ unit buildings). Then they told me I couldn't keep the retail because I didn't have continuous use since it has been abandoned for 3 or 4 years. So I went in and got a zoning changed to B3. And now they are stonewalling me because the mechanics garage I own next door supposedly counts as "residential parking" which is just fucking stupid since it's connected directly to the retail space, has 15' clear ceilings, a skylight, and massive steel framed windows. I mean most residential garages are built like that right? Who doesn't have a storefront attached to their garage?

/Sarcasm

No, I very much know what I'm doing and I am not asking for anything radical here. I am merely asking for the city to let me return a vacant building to the same productive use it served for 125 years. I've applied for permits only to be told I couldn't keep the retail. So I got a zoning change. I applied for permits again. The city didn't enter the zoning change in for all the pins so I had to get them to fix their own clerical error and apply AGAIN. Now they want me to provide 5 parking spaces because I have 5 residential units despite the fact that there has never been parking for anything but the storefront (which is why I got a zoning change to begin with). As if that weren't absurd enough they are asking me to get a letter from the CTA allowing me to pass under some of their property to get to my own building. Again, people have been passing under the L for over a century and were never required to get a letter. That process alone is probably 2 or 3 months of wasted time. Meanwhile I'm paying the city thousands of dollars in vacant building fees and taxes and also racking up huge carrying costs all because the city is grossly incompetent.

I've been intentionally vague about the details of this project for good reason. If someone at city hall reads this page and decides I'm causing trouble for them, I'll never get permits for a project in this city every again. Why? Because that's how the beasties down there work. If you make their job difficult, they will simply shut you out.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 5:26 PM

And these are the idiots who will finally drive out any incentive for small scale but highly useful projects such as yours seems to be. And then the city deserves what it gets: ZERO population growth of capable small investors. Your sad saga illustrates why I'm so glad I don't live there anymore - in spite of my fundamental like for the place.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCliff View Post
And these are the idiots who will finally drive out any incentive for small scale but highly useful projects such as yours seems to be. And then the city deserves what it gets: ZERO population growth of capable small investors. Your sad saga illustrates why I'm so glad I don't live there anymore - in spite of my fundamental like for the place.
Yeah, they wonder why entire neighborhoods are being abandoned. Hint: it's not the crime since crime used to be even worse in those areas. It's the fact that getting permits to fix these buildings is so painful that it's not worth fixing them at all unless you can do it illegally without permits (which is how I'm now doing all my other projects until I get this one out from under these idiots).

The worst part about it is that I know of literally dozens of projects with the same mentality: don't go through the city unless you have to. I would gladly pay a $3,000 permit application fee for every project if doing so didn't mean I'd incur tens of thousands of dollars in carrying costs waiting for permits. The city is probably missing out on thousands of permits applications a year because they are so slow that everyone tries to go around them. There are 5 unpermitted gut rehabs going on right now on the block that I live on in Logan Square alone. That's $15k in revenue the city missed out this year on just from my block. Think about that for a second. How many blocks are there in Logan Square like this? 50? 100? So that's what? Millions of dollars in permit fees alone being missed out on each year just in Logan Square because the city has their head so far up their ass they can't tell daylight from dogshit.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah, they wonder why entire neighborhoods are being abandoned. Hint: it's not the crime since crime used to be even worse in those areas. It's the fact that getting permits to fix these buildings is so painful that it's not worth fixing them at all unless you can do it illegally without permits (which is how I'm now doing all my other projects until I get this one out from under these idiots).

The worst part about it is that I know of literally dozens of projects with the same mentality: don't go through the city unless you have to. I would gladly pay a $3,000 permit application fee for every project if doing so didn't mean I'd incur tens of thousands of dollars in carrying costs waiting for permits. The city is probably missing out on thousands of permits applications a year because they are so slow that everyone tries to go around them. There are 5 unpermitted gut rehabs going on right now on the block that I live on in Logan Square alone. That's $15k in revenue the city missed out this year on just from my block. Think about that for a second. How many blocks are there in Logan Square like this? 50? 100? So that's what? Millions of dollars in permit fees alone being missed out on each year just in Logan Square because the city has their head so far up their ass they can't tell daylight from dogshit.
You should never have done the zoning change first.
When you did, you reset the grandfather clock.

You should have applied for a permit just to renovate the apts.
Keep the number of apts the same as on the building registration. Draw a convenience stair or other connection from the store to one of the apts and told them it was gonna be your home,

Your plat of survey should only show the lot of record the building was on. That way, the onus would be on them to prove the adjacent property was on the same zoning lot. If you were lucky they would not have a permit connecting the two PINs and you could claim a pre-ordinance bldg with no parking. If not, say "mea culpa" and move on. but if you got lucky, the adjacent lot would be buildable.

When all the work is done and you are a pillar of the community, then you go to zoning and tell them you want to put in a coffee shop.

Sometimes you can have one too many ducks in a row.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development