HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonsy View Post
this is cool

was trying to figure out how i had never registered that such a large, unique building existed, given that i used to cycle the rockcliffe parkway the occasional weekend

https://i.imgur.com/0ekx1U2.jpg

but then i looked up pre-restoration photos on street view and it makes sense now

https://i.imgur.com/s3SjT8K.jpg
Maybe they cut a few too many trees? Or is it a time of year thing? You do want to keep sightlines open to prevent peds from being mowed down by cars, so that's good. There's an obvious speed bump as well (not yet built when the Google Streetview was taken).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
It really does seem like the NCC is starting to shake their decades long reputation for a lack of progress. Between this, Westboro Beach, the bistros, the parkway plans on SJAM and SGEC, and even the closures of QED and CBD they are doing a great job of giving people places to go hang out and enjoy the beauty that Ottawa has.
For sure. We're seeing actual progress all across town. The City is incrementally getting better thanks in large part to the NCC. Feels like they had dozens of projects in the pipeline with no progress for about 15 years until Kristmanson took the reigns.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonsy View Post
this is cool

was trying to figure out how i had never registered that such a large, unique building existed, given that i used to cycle the rockcliffe parkway the occasional weekend
Why such a drastic tree haircut, I wonder?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Why such a drastic tree haircut, I wonder?
it was needed to build the a big Zigzagging ramp to make the site wheelchair accessible which you dont really see it the pictures above!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 3:29 PM

Drove by a few times, but I should get out of the car and walk around soon to get a better feel for the area.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 8:55 PM

Biked passed the River house today and it sure is a popular spot right now! everyone was stopping to have a look, the bike racks were packed, the parking lot was full.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 9:37 PM

This is a fantastic addition to Ottawa's otherwise bare waterfront. I think they also intend to put a restaurant/bistro there as well, if they haven't already, which just further encourages people to hang out and enjoy the river. Really want to make time next weekend to check it out.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonLlama View Post
This is a fantastic addition to Ottawa's otherwise bare waterfront. I think they also intend to put a restaurant/bistro there as well, if they haven't already, which just further encourages people to hang out and enjoy the river. Really want to make time next weekend to check it out.
For the record, this is a heritage building. It has been there for many decades operating as a clubhouse for the Ottawa-New Edinburgh Canoe Club. The building is celebrating its centennial this year.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:26 PM

RIVER HOUSE RESTORATION: NCC's historic River House now open for swimmers

The boathouse was designated a recognized federal heritage building in 2010.

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jul 31, 2023

The city’s newest destination for swimming — the National Capital Commission’s heritage River House — is now open to the public following a multi-million dollar restoration.

The NCC River House, previously known as the National Capital River Pavilion and the Ottawa River Boathouse, was designed by architect C.P. Meredith and constructed between 1914 and 1925 for the Ottawa New Edinburgh Canoe (ONEC) Club.

The NCC said the historic landmark, nestled on the Ottawa River just downstream from the Parliament Buildings, has been the site of canoeing, boating and recreational activities for nearly a century.

Several elements had to be restored to make it universally accessible year-round, the NCC said.

“The revitalization of the NCC River House is consistent with our vision to provide and facilitate new public access to the Ottawa River shoreline. Like the redevelopment of Kìwekì Point and Westboro Beach, the renewal of this heritage building to make it universally accessible year-round will provide new opportunities for public access and enhance people’s recreational experience along the river,” said NCC CEO Tobi Nussbaum in a statement last week.

The boathouse was designated a recognized federal heritage building in 2010 “because of its links to the history of canoeing in Canada, its architectural value as a rare example of early boathouse design, and its remarkable setting on the river,” the NCC said.

Swimming is available onsite with a newly-constructed dock providing access to the supervised swimming area.

Reservations are not required for swimming, and it is on a first-come, first-served basis.

Lifeguards will be on duty from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. from July 26 to September 4.

The water is tested regularly for bacteriological water quality, though swimmers are encouraged to check online for water conditions before visiting.

Dogs and pets are not permitted on the docks or at the swimming area.

There are bike racks available on site and limited parking, though visitors are encouraged to use “active transportation.”

There are universally accessible toilets on site and a bistro service.

Room rentals are also available for events, with Bytown Catering managing reservations for the event space.

Work on the River House revitalization project began in 2019 and is now “substantially complete,” the NCC said.

The project included the conservation, repainting and reinstatement of the existing wood siding, a standard exterior wall assembly, the conservation of viable heritage windows and the installation of new windows that are compatible with the historic character, while providing the required thermal performance, the NCC said.

“The River House stands as a cornerstone for the National Capital Region, adding to the overall charm and beauty of the NCC’s assets,” said Ottawa-Vanier MP Mona Fortier in a statement. “With its symbolic and historical character, we commend the NCC for its leadership in protecting this heritage building, which will continue to be a landmark site for local communities and visitors alike, and the Ottawa Riverkeeper for being key players in the success of this project.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...n-for-swimmers

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:53 PM

I wonder if they close the dock when lifeguard season ends in a couple of weeks.

I mean, obviously they will close it, because you know, Ottawa. Although I don't see why they should, given that all the beaches are not fenced off, they remain accessible, just unsupervised.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
I wonder if they close the dock when lifeguard season ends in a couple of weeks.

I mean, obviously they will close it, because you know, Ottawa. Although I don't see why they should, given that all the beaches are not fenced off, they remain accessible, just unsupervised.
It's quite a bit more dangerous than a beach though.

It is a nice, if crazily overdone as usual for NCC, project. Great to see they added food service. People do like buying things sometimes too.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It's quite a bit more dangerous than a beach though.

It is a nice, if crazily overdone as usual for NCC, project. Great to see they added food service. People do like buying things sometimes too.
Overdone? How?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Overdone? How?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 7:33 PM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 8:03 PM

They’re going to need to install more bike racks, if it stays this popular. Biked by there on Sunday afternoon and it was absolutely packed. All the bike racks were full and there were bikes left wherever there was room.

One thing that’s much needed on the SGEC parkway is a water fountain/place to fill water bottles. I don’t know of any along the entire length of the parkway. I’m sure there’s one in the River House itself, but it would be nice to add one along the path.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading Isle View Post
They’re going to need to install more bike racks, if it stays this popular. Biked by there on Sunday afternoon and it was absolutely packed. All the bike racks were full and there were bikes left wherever there was room.

One thing that’s much needed on the SGEC parkway is a water fountain/place to fill water bottles. I don’t know of any along the entire length of the parkway. I’m sure there’s one in the River House itself, but it would be nice to add one along the path.
Agreed. Water fountains + water bottle filling stations should be added at various points of the NCC pathway system and City parks.

Still disappointed they didn't add bottle filling stations at Confederation Line stations, but only water fountains that are often down.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 5:29 PM

Oh my dog.

River House is quite wow.

I think the NCC have exorcised the ghosts of Jacques Gréber and Marcel Beaudry.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 9:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC River House's surging popularity exposes parking woes
The century-old facility opened last month after a $20-million makeover.

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published Aug 18, 2023 • Last updated 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

https://twitter.com/OCFailspo/status...85726904393729

The newly renovated NCC River House is winning rave reviews for the National Capital Commission, and that has put pressure on its limited parking.

While car drivers might have to walk a little more than they’re accustomed to, transit riders have an even tougher time. The closest bus stop is a 20-minute walk away.

The century-old River House, which opened last month after a $20-million makeover, has a bistro, two wraparound balconies with stunning views of the Ottawa River, boat and kayak docks and an enclosed area for free river swimming.

Not everyone sees the lack of parking as a problem — “It’s a feature, not a bug,” said one frequent user of River House — but, if you do plan to drive there, it’s best to get there early, especially on a good weather day.

The nearest parking is a small 25-spot lot directly across the Sir George Etienne Parkway that was never intended to handle the demand of such a popular attraction. About half of those spots are reserved: six for the Ottawa Riverkeeper, a tenant on the top floor with 15 employees; five for ByTown Catering, which operates the bistro; and one spot designated for lifeguard use. Two spots are marked for wheelchair access.

Another 40 or so spots are available at lot P4 600 metres further east on the parkway — the equivalent in distance of walking a lap through the Rideau Centre — while dozens of other spots are available on Acacia Avenue, a four-minute walk away along either the parkway or via the stairs and paths of the Rockcliffe Rockeries.

There is also a new pullout on the parkway for drop-offs and deliveries.

Options are worse for bus riders, with the nearest stops on Routes 6 and 7, the only routes to come even close to the area, 1.4 kilometres away.

Entering “NCC River House” as a destination in OC Transpo’s route planner yields a response of “There are no stops around the destination within the distance considered. Please contact the information centre.” A call to the information centre suggested the closest stop would be to get off the No. 7 at Sandridge Road and Birch Avenue, a 20-minute walk away.

The popularity of River House seems to have surprised even the NCC, which says it’s looking at ways to expand parking. It also scoured the city for extra bike racks since many visitors arrive on two wheels.

On a recent sunny weekday, the pool deck was filled to near capacity, with about 100 people lounging in Muskoka chairs or swimming in the river. Several dozens more were seated on the balconies, while a nearly full complement of Riverkeeper employees attended a staff meeting.

The nearby lots were close to full and there were 33 bikes locked up in the racks. A taxi dropped off a woman in a wheelchair because of a broken ankle. Other visitors arrived by canoe or kayak, using the specially outfitted kayak dock provided. (Power boats are not permitted during this first season.)

The NCC River House bistro is open May 1 to Oct. 31 between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m., then from Nov. 1 to April 30 between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Swimming, first come first serve, is limited to 125 people and open between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. until Sept. 4.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...s-parking-woes

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 10:05 PM

Ways to expand free parking? How about keep a few free disabled spaces and start charging $5 per hour for the remaining ones?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 5:10 PM

Might be easier and cheaper to just provide a shuttle from the Byward Market. Hit Rideau Hall and the Aviation Museum (where the bus can turn around) while you're at it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 8:31 PM

NCC extended the swim season at River House until OCTOBER.

https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1699111390202515897

OCT

O

BER.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues