HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
That Rideau-Montreal cluster, and still nothing in the works to improve transit.
Buy an e-bike. Starting at just $1800.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It's either got to be a train (in a tunnel or elevated), or we reduce most of western Rideau/Montreal to 2 lanes for traffic and 2 priority lanes for buses (probably only at rush hours) - with no more street parking at any time.

But... I can just hear the complaints about losing all that precious, precious parking... as if there weren't any side streets a few seconds away...

I'd love to see a new lrt line from Rideau station all the way west to an appropriate terminus or interchange with the Confederation line... Although I doubt we can get the required billions for an lrt extension in the next few decades - no matter who gets elected.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecyo View Post
I'd love to see a new lrt line from Rideau station all the way WEST to an appropriate terminus or interchange with the Confederation line... Although I doubt we can get the required billions for an lrt extension in the next few decades - no matter who gets elected.
Can I assume that you mean EAST from the Rideau Station? Rideau Station is already a Confederation station, so I assume that you are talking about having an EAST-bound LRT that goes from Rideau to, say, Blair Station (as the other appropriate interchange with the Confederation Line).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
But we have a huge gap in cycling infrastructure between Ogilvy Square and the Vanier Parkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecyo View Post
It's either got to be a train (in a tunnel or elevated), or we reduce most of western Rideau/Montreal to 2 lanes for traffic and 2 priority lanes for buses (probably only at rush hours) - with no more street parking at any time.

But... I can just hear the complaints about losing all that precious, precious parking... as if there weren't any side streets a few seconds away...
Montreal through Vanier has been reduced to three lanes as part of the revitalization project, so any surface transit improvements is officially out of the question.

Quote:
I'd love to see a new lrt line from Rideau station all the way west to an appropriate terminus or interchange with the Confederation line... Although I doubt we can get the required billions for an lrt extension in the next few decades - no matter who gets elected.
No doubt the Feds and Province will be happy to throw Billions to convert a perfectly functional BRT to Kanata and Barrhaven, even though the number of commuters has been decimated by WFH. Sad state of affairs.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Can I assume that you mean EAST from the Rideau Station? Rideau Station is already a Confederation station, so I assume that you are talking about having an EAST-bound LRT that goes from Rideau to, say, Blair Station (as the other appropriate interchange with the Confederation Line).
Doh! Yeah - I meant east. I guess a tunnel that went west all the way around the world might be *bit* more expensive than anyone can afford...

I agree Blair would be the best option - I can imagine extending it past to eventually replace the proposed Cumberland Transitway - assuming that ever gets built.

Last edited by vtecyo; Oct 15, 2022 at 8:31 PM. Reason: to make it a bit clearer

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
That's transport.

That's not transit.

Urban Ottawa needs better urban transit, regardless of whatever else we can engineer in terms of other modes of transport in the mixture.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:04 AM

From our friend Harley613.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Quick non-scientific approximation of Ottawa's future skyline. Green for under construction/approved, Red for proposed. I'm sure I've missed a few projects.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues