HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The lack of "visual fit" is the LEAST of Carleton's architectural crimes. The entire place is just butt ugly, badly-designed, and brutalist.
I agree. I find Algonquin College has a similar vibe going on with its own mish mash of ugly generic buildings.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 3:21 AM

Quote:
The lack of "visual fit" is the LEAST of Carleton's architectural crimes. The entire place is just butt ugly, badly-designed, and brutalist.
I disagree quite a bit with this post. Some of Carleton's original buildings are really beautiful. Sure they are simple and utilitarian but there are some really nice moments to be found if you spend time wandering around them. I think the School of Architecture is one of the most underrated and under appreciated buildings in Canada. It is full of great spaces. The addition that was built on top was definitely horrible and it (like much of Carleton's original buildings) have been badly treated over the years by the university which obscures some of their really great qualities. If you look hard though, there are still nice moments. The main staircase in Southam Hall is one worth checking out, especially on a summer evening. The light that comes into the west facing skylights at the very top is really nice.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 4:02 AM

(next to Barefax) 'Therapeutic Massage' I'm sure. A lot of sore athletes go there no doubt.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie-tect View Post
I think there is an existing tunnel from Rideau to Freiman's currently used for storage. In Calgary they skipped the skybridge approach and built a sizeable chunk over the street. Actually the renos of the Core are pretty interesting with a Winter Garden and Internal glass bridges.
WARNING! DELUSION AHEAD!!!

If that tunnel really does exist, maybe the storage could move to the basement of a saved and renovated Ogilvy's and reopen (or open) the tunnel to Freiman’s, possibly place an elevator to the Subway Station concourse.

Where did you hear about this tunnel? And if you could provide further information such as placement and year built, possibly the reason for building it?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
I disagree quite a bit with this post. Some of Carleton's original buildings are really beautiful. Sure they are simple and utilitarian but there are some really nice moments to be found if you spend time wandering around them. I think the School of Architecture is one of the most underrated and under appreciated buildings in Canada. It is full of great spaces. The addition that was built on top was definitely horrible and it (like much of Carleton's original buildings) have been badly treated over the years by the university which obscures some of their really great qualities. If you look hard though, there are still nice moments. The main staircase in Southam Hall is one worth checking out, especially on a summer evening. The light that comes into the west facing skylights at the very top is really nice.
I've spent quite a bit of time on the Carleton campus, and any good interior spaces are hardly redeeming of the brutalisting exteriors and horrible building-to-building street interactions or interface with the campus' internal street-like things.

It was only in the past two or three years that this place, architectural school and all, even bothered to put up useful signage in the interior tunnel and pedway system.

Awful, horrible place.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 5:55 AM

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned the US embassy. I, for one, like the building. I find the market side respects the neighbourhood and the major's hill side goes well with the national gallery. it's gotten so much negative publicity over the years, but i haven't heard much lately. maybe people are getting used to it. one thing I do NOT like is the giant tank barriers all around it.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 8:02 PM

I forgot about this gem from the 'Great Blank Walls' thread

Did we ever figure out the story behind this?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 1:01 AM
Awesome!

Well a lot of the older and semi-older buildings at Tunney's would be a good example of ugly too. (i.e Claxton building and the one right beside it).

The old Ottawa city hall building on Sussex as well
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:05 AM

Quote:
I've spent quite a bit of time on the Carleton campus, and any good interior spaces are hardly redeeming of the brutalisting exteriors and horrible building-to-building street interactions or interface with the campus' internal street-like things.

It was only in the past two or three years that this place, architectural school and all, even bothered to put up useful signage in the interior tunnel and pedway system.

Awful, horrible place.
I generally agree that Carleton has evolved and grown to become a pretty generic place but I really believe there are some nice moments in the original buildings for the campus. There are remnants of them that are visible today, even if they have been tarnished by years of neglect and botched renovation plans. It is not all bad.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Major arterial. I've racked my brain but couldn't get it. Where is this?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 6:01 AM

Prince of Wales near Barrhaven

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I actually think that, when someone lived there, that was the building with all the freaky hillbilly-type warning signs I referred to earlier.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:12 PM

Hmm I seem to recall that as well. Aren't there a bunch of old abandoned cabins behind this thing, or there used to be? I think it used to be a cabin resort.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Would you say it's close to Fallowfield or is it further down?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 7:18 PM
National Capital Region

It's between Fallowfield and Merivale:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...,0.009645&z=17

Looks like you can buy some ravine lots if you like...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Hmm I seem to recall that as well. Aren't there a bunch of old abandoned cabins behind this thing, or there used to be? I think it used to be a cabin resort.
This used to be the Rideau Glen Inn. Yes, it was low-scale resort with cabins behind it towards the river and possibly a bit of a marina. The main building had rooms and a restaurant. I think it was open until the 1960s. I am surprised it hasn't been torn down long ago. Does it have heritage status? I seem to remember someone telling me that this was a historic stopping place on the old Prescott Highway.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 9:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
This used to be the Rideau Glen Inn. Yes, it was low-scale resort with cabins behind it towards the river and possibly a bit of a marina. The main building had rooms and a restaurant. I think it was open until the 1960s. I am surprised it hasn't been torn down long ago. Does it have heritage status? I seem to remember someone telling me that this was a historic stopping place on the old Prescott Highway.
The Streetview confirms this is exactly the place I was talking about.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 12:12 AM

A few years ago the Ottawa Citizen did a big spread on 'Ottawa's Biggest Eyesore'. I'm pretty sure 'Boat on Road' on Prince of Wales just south of Hogs Back/Meadowlands won. Does anyone remember 'Boat on Road'? It was this big 45 foot-ish rusting old boat on a trailer in a laneway of a house and the bow of the boat went out almost into the road. It was there for decades I think. It's been gone for a few years but it was pretty frickin funny.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 1:05 AM

don't remember, but that sounds hideous! <shudder>

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 5:18 AM

it was hideous...i did a cursory search on google news archive and didn't find anything. surely someone remembers!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues