HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
A BMW is a LOT more fun to drive??
lmao no a honda is more fun to drive right viking

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:52 AM
surely you agree with me

an NHL team is a lot more fun to own...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
an NHL team is a lot more fun to own...
o and ya that but i think the Honda would be more fun but hey if you can afford an nhl team then you can afford a Honda thats fully moded so then you could have both so twice the fun

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
lmao no a honda is more fun to drive right viking
Guess you've never driven a bimmer!

And re prospective revenues, Chipman may well be better off running an AHL team since player salaries and related costs are picked up by the parent club, in this case the Canucks. The NHL salary cap will be around $44 million next season (rising for third year in a row) and most teams will spend it. An AHL team player budget might be around $8 million(??). So there's $52 million minimum that an NHL team has to generate from an 82 games season.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 3:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Funny comment in a story on Bettman's tenure in the NHL so far:

Quote:
planting Bettman on the NHL was a conspiracy orchestrated by Bettman's former boss and mentor, NBA mastermind David Stern. With Mark Messier in New York, Wayne Gretzky in Los Angeles and the Rangers about to win their first Stanley Cup in a couple of centuries and strengthen the game in the New York market, Wetzel suggests, Stern decided to destroy the NHL from within.

"All of a sudden, hockey was challenging, if not beating, the NBA in a number of major U.S. markets - including New York. It's almost impossible to imagine now, but it happened.

"As the conspiracy theory goes, Stern sensed the potential trouble in 1993 while the NHL was in search of a new commissioner. So he looked around his own office for someone so incompetent that if they got the job, the NHL would be marginalized by their mismanagement and never again be a threat to the NBA.

"Naturally, Stern recommended one of his assistants, Gary Bettman, for the job.

"True story or not, it worked."
At least I'm not the only one who has these theories in the back of their mind from time to time.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:08 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Funny comment in a story on Bettman's tenure in the NHL so far:

At least I'm not the only one who has these theories in the back of their mind from time to time.
Where is that quote from? Please provide your source on that article, as I would like to post it somewhere else.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:23 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Where is that quote from? Please provide your source on that article, as I would like to post it somewhere else.
It was actually quoted in another article, and looking at the original, there was a bit of paraphrasing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

After reading the original, all I can say is wow. Someone just put my last 15 years of frustration as a hockey fan into a single article.

Interesting stat for those that can't be bothered to read it: the All-Star game garned less than 500,000 households in the US. Feed me bullshit about hockey being a "regional" TV thing all you want, but come on - NO ONE in the US gives 2 shits about hockey with numbers like that. Hell, those would be poor ratings if it was JUST NYC. This is the entire US of A, which supposedly has 5-10 really good hockey markets, plus countless other smaller cities that claim a team.

That's like a show which sees 50,000 Canadian viewers. ie: everything on CBC that's not HNIC.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 11:55 PM

Is it definitive that MTS can not be expanded? It seems to me that almost anything is possible if there is enough money (which may be the real reason). However, there is always the issue that the expansion may not provide very good seating (very steep and crowded) as in the old Winnipeg Arena (although the uppder deck was fairly close to the ice and did give a pretty good view of the game).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:07 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Is it definitive that MTS can not be expanded? It seems to me that almost anything is possible if there is enough money (which may be the real reason). However, there is always the issue that the expansion may not provide very good seating (very steep and crowded) as in the old Winnipeg Arena (although the uppder deck was fairly close to the ice and did give a pretty good view of the game).
That is the claim, however I too believe that money talks and is the REAL reason why there would not be an expansion of the MTS Centre. So many things have been claimed to be impossible, until the right person came around with enough cash to make a miracle come true

Last edited by Greco Roman; Feb 3, 2007 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
After reading the original, all I can say is wow. Someone just put my last 15 years of frustration as a hockey fan into a single article.
I am still in complete denial that there aren't regular season ties, and about the team from Anaheim that shall not be named in my presence. Bettman has taken the game that I grew up loving and turned it into a pathetic joke.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:50 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
I am still in complete denial that there aren't regular season ties, and about the team from Anaheim that shall not be named in my presence. Bettman has taken the game that I grew up loving and turned it into a pathetic joke.
I actually like the shootouts - ties seemed .. pointless somehow, and this way you get a few extra minutes of fun out of it. Unfortunately, the Flames SUCK at shootouts (I've yet to see them win a single one), but them's the breaks. So long as they don't do this for playoffs, all is well.

I don't hate change, I just hate Bettman.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan