HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo9518 View Post
The project is going by 8080 Lake Shore:

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:06 PM

Hope that first phase can start soon. We're likely years away from it starting, but some development on the south side to correspond with what U of Chicago is doing plus the Obama Center can really help the city besides just hearing about the same 4 or 5 neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:28 PM

This Spanish concept leaves the land looking under used. Harkens back to the city in a park idea. Where are the alley ways?! Where is all the retail? Seems like we could stand a bit more population density too over a 30 block radius. This is prime lakefront property.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:49 PM

I like this proposal a lot – I love how it interacts with the water, and the variance in the scale and materials of the buildings.

This is really well done for a giant master planned proposal – looks like a more organically built neighborhood than we typically see in this scale of project.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
This Spanish concept leaves the land looking under used. Harkens back to the city in a park idea. Where are the alley ways?! Where is all the retail? Seems like we could stand a bit more population density too over a 30 block radius. This is prime lakefront property.
The retail will come if there's demand, not before. There's a difference between what's best and what you can get, and after decades of nothing on this parcel of land, it would be pretty significant to get even a doorknob built so far south. For what it is, it's a great proposal.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The project is going by 8080 Lake Shore:

Mediocrity be thy name.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Mediocrity be thy name.
Superblocks! How awesome. It's a very pedestrian-friendly design. I wonder how that will fit with a largely car-dependent region of the city. Expanding transit access through bus-rapid transit or extension of rail lines could do wonders to spur this development.

Vox did a video on the Barcelona Superblock recently. Worth checking out if you're not familiar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORzsubQA_M

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 10:45 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Superblocks! How awesome. It's a very pedestrian-friendly design. I wonder how that will fit with a largely car-dependent region of the city. Expanding transit access through bus-rapid transit or extension of rail lines could do wonders to spur this development.

Vox did a video on the Barcelona Superblock recently. Worth checking out if you're not familiar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORzsubQA_M
Yes, Barcelona the city is doing some really interesting things with their blocks. For example, over the next few years they are redesigning their traffic flow so that groups of blocks only have through-roads along the outer sides of them, with the interior streets intentionally designed to prevent people from driving through the cluster - only driving in if they live or have business to conduct inside them. It would be interesting if Barcelona the company tried to design the traffic patterns in this development in a similar way. I do think they should have some taller buildings near the water sides of the development, especially the northern edge where there will be great views of the rest of the lakefront and city.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 11:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

North Korea

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 12:03 AM
Show me the blueprints

At this point I'm about to say F-it for housing at South Works. Can we just find a rich eccentric that wants to build a lakefront amusement park... I'd take that over this human storage complex shown in those renderings.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
At this point I'm about to say F-it for housing at South Works. Can we just find a rich eccentric that wants to build a lakefront amusement park... I'd take that over this human storage complex shown in those renderings.
How quickly do we forget? Remember the last time a rich guy wanted to build something on the lakefront?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 1:20 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yes, Barcelona the city is doing some really interesting things with their blocks. For example, over the next few years they are redesigning their traffic flow so that groups of blocks only have through-roads along the outer sides of them, with the interior streets intentionally designed to prevent people from driving through the cluster - only driving in if they live or have business to conduct inside them. It would be interesting if Barcelona the company tried to design the traffic patterns in this development in a similar way. I do think they should have some taller buildings near the water sides of the development, especially the northern edge where there will be great views of the rest of the lakefront and city.

Yeah, when Europeans do it it's interesting and innovative.

When Americans do it it's lambasted as "suburbia"

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 1:23 AM
The City

I'm sick of South Works. We need to repair the image of the south side in a big way before developments of this magnitude will ever happen

I can see this happening in Bronzeville. But South Works is too far from the Loop

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yes, Barcelona the city is doing some really interesting things with their blocks. For example, over the next few years they are redesigning their traffic flow so that groups of blocks only have through-roads along the outer sides of them, with the interior streets intentionally designed to prevent people from driving through the cluster - only driving in if they live or have business to conduct inside them.
That's precisely what the Plan Commission wanted to do back in the days of urban renewal.

You can read the rest here.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...view=1up;seq=3

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 4:44 AM

Yesterday-Old Town. Looks like the Bistrot Margot and other neighboring buildings will be demolished soon. I forget exactly what was planned here, but nothing memorable I guess.

Edit: found this https://www.google.com/amp/chicago.c...?client=safari
Looks like something from Division and Damen area

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:16 AM

South Works should be added to lakefront park system in its entirety.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:34 AM

Last image I am posting for the evening. Still am not sure about my current thoughts of this proposal. If this is a rough draft of what we're looking at, then I can't say I am disappointed with what they have at the moment (except the parking). However, if this plan does not undergo some sort of revision, I am a little hesitant to say that I support it

Current land use plan:

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
By this measure, Englewood is "hotter" than Hyde Park
Only in real estate sales from December 1 to January 27. The picture is a bit different if you are looking at August 1st thru December 31st:

South Shore: 203
Auburn Gresham: 199
Chicago Lawn: 199
Roseland: 160
Grand Boulevard: 154
Bridgeport: 150
Hyde Park: 146
Washington Heights: 133
Bridgeport: 130
Beverly: 125
New City: 121
Mount Greenwood: 118
Brighton Park: 117
Chatham: 93
Woodlawn: 93
West Englewood: 86
Englewood: 81
Douglas: 65
McKinley Park: 52
Armour Square: 39
Oakland: 14

Anyway, point is that while Woodlawn doesn't have super low numbers, relatively, it's basically not even top 10 in the last 5 months of the year on the south side.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Last image I am posting for the evening. Still am not sure about my current thoughts of this proposal. If this is a rough draft of what we're looking at, then I can't say I am disappointed with what they have at the moment (except the parking). However, if this plan does not undergo some sort of revision, I am a little hesitant to say that I support it

Current land use plan:
If we were getting Eixample-By-The-Lake, it would be a great plan. The renderings make it look half-assed and cheap, though. I hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Yeah, when Europeans do it it's interesting and innovative.

When Americans do it it's lambasted as "suburbia"
Umm this is a very different site.

I don't think the designs in the renderings are all that bad. There was never going to be anything tall built that far south.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development