HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
I guess a development down 2/3 of the block would eliminate alley access onto Main?

The urbanist fantasy for a development like that would be this Safeway in my neighbourhood in Vancouver: Davie Street Safeway
Very nice! With the height limits along Broadway and the shape of the property, I wonder if we'll see something like this, from Edmonton. It has a Safeway and a substantial amount of office space in the podium.

https://www.clarkbuilders.com/j22

By the way, I completely agree with the conversation about the spread-out nature of our downtown --- it was a factor in my decision to leave downtown and move to Broadway. Properties along the river seem like the obvious low-hanging fruit, first-choice spots for new condo developments, but I'm surprised things are so stagnant in the core with respect to new apartments. There are so many corner parking lots and vacant buildings that would be ideal candidates for replacement. At a certain point, as the city continues to sprawl, this has to become a political issue --- why isn't residential growth in the core a bigger civic priority? If the carrot has been offered and declined (incentives to sell/develop), then maybe it's time for the stick (increased taxes on parking lots, say). I mean, the city grew by 14000+ people from 2022 to 2023, and none of that growth happened downtown --- that has to be considered a failure on the part of our local government, right?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:13 AM

Walkability in downtown Saskatoon

I do not think that walkability is that big an issue in downtown Saskatoon. Having lived in Vancouver's West End for sixteen years I walked everywhere. From the proposed new library to the River Landing condos is only six blocks (approximately 1 kilometre) which is about a fifteen minute walk. During the winter months this may be a bit more challenging but downtown Saskatoon is not really that huge. The excessive surface parking lots are a definite eyesore and I would love to see a lot of infill.
If the naysayers don't quash the proposed new downtown arena and convention centre it should be a catalyst project for more commercial and residential development in the core area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/490+2...!3e2?entry=ttu

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:15 PM

I have relatives that live close to U of C campus in Calgary and the adjacent University District Development has really come to life. I am hoping for something along these lines for U of S Quarter development. Also provides some great examples for Broadway of residential/commercial development options.

https://myuniversitydistrict.ca/

My wife and I have often commented if we were to make the move to Calgary as part of our downsizing, it may be in the University District area.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I have relatives that live close to U of C campus in Calgary and the adjacent University District Development has really come to life. I am hoping for something along these lines for U of S Quarter development. Also provides some great examples for Broadway of residential/commercial development options.

https://myuniversitydistrict.ca/

My wife and I have often commented if we were to make the move to Calgary as part of our downsizing, it may be in the University District area.
Good excuse to pull up the old College Quarter Master Plan from 2009. Not a ton has transpired in the 15 years since it was published. Merlis Belsher Place has been built. I think that the most recent residences (Pine, Birch, Spruce & Aspen) S-W of Griffiths may have also been built since 2009.

I was wondering where the main floor retail shown in the 2nd rendering was meant to be but, judging from the Subway across the street, it would appear to be on the S-E corner of College & Cumberland.

https://brookmcilroy.com/projects/un...r-master-plan/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:10 PM

Wasn't some of the recent Fed Housing Funding for student housing?? Maybe this could be a catalyst to get the U of S continuing to work on the College Quarter plan.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:48 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
I do not think that walkability is that big an issue in downtown Saskatoon. Having lived in Vancouver's West End for sixteen years I walked everywhere. From the proposed new library to the River Landing condos is only six blocks (approximately 1 kilometre) which is about a fifteen minute walk. During the winter months this may be a bit more challenging but downtown Saskatoon is not really that huge. The excessive surface parking lots are a definite eyesore and I would love to see a lot of infill.
If the naysayers don't quash the proposed new downtown arena and convention centre it should be a catalyst project for more commercial and residential development in the core area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/490+2...!3e2?entry=ttu
A walk through Vancouver's downtown and the West End is night and day compared to Saskatoon.

First, there's the weather. I know people in Saskatoon get used to the cold and all, and dressing appropriately helps, but you can't possibly argue that a 30-minute commute by foot in minus-30 isn't less comfortable than the same commute in plus-5? My daily commute in Vancouver is 1.6 kilometres. Sometimes I hop on the frequent buses on Georgia to speed things up, but otherwise the 20-minute walk is perfectly enjoyable. On the contrary, my 1.3 kilometres walk to work in Saskatoon across the Victoria Bridge was downright miserable in the winter.

The second factor is the environment you are walking in. I'm sorry, but the pedestrian experience on many of Saskatoon's streets suck. Whether walking down Idylwyld (or 22nd or 25th) with its narrow sidewalks and fast traffic or 19th with its continuous surface parking lots from the Farmer's Market to 3rd, it's not an enjoyable experience. To really boost the pedestrian environment downtown, I would love to see development of the surface lots, increased population so that businesses are motivated to provide more amenities that are closer together, and additional landscaping. A pedestrian mall (say 21st from Midtown to the Bess) would also speak volumes to the city's desire to not just accommodate but also prioritize pedestrians.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
My recollection is that it was originally a gas station. I don't believe any remediation was done prior to it becoming an ambulance station. So, in addition to having to deal with the awkward location, any developer would also be taking on those costs.
You were right! A Google search says it's a former shell station site. Was listed in 2008 for $500,000.

I have no idea how much remediation costs on old gas station sites, but there are certainly a few vacant petrol properties - this one on Warman, 22nd and H and I believe Taylor and Broadway to name a few that could certainly be redeveloped into something useful! The Warman site is awkward for sure but the one on 22nd could easily qualify for some infill apartments that we need!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet1991 View Post
Curiosity about the Broadway/Extra Foods development took me to Wescliff's website, where it lists 'The Webster' as a coming mixed-use development in University Heights.

A bit more digging brings up this listing, which exemplifies what I think we'll see a LOT more of in the coming years. Buildings like this all down 8th and 22nd would really transform our city.

Kudos to Westcliff for investing in Saskatoon.

https://listingsprod.blob.core.windo...2-64223c943811
Speaking of the Broadway/Extra Foods development, as of yesterday they've started to dig up the parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenraptors View Post
Speaking of the Broadway/Extra Foods development, as of yesterday they've started to dig up the parking lot.

Website also lists 520 main Street and Broadway as different projects

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddo View Post
Website also lists 520 main Street and Broadway as different projects
-

Last edited by RobD; Mar 17, 2024 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:43 PM

Just curious....it looks like Meridian has been doing a fair bit of construction work in BC. Do you think they have temporarily put Saskatoon projects on hold? Anyone have any insight into this?

They are such an important developer in Saskatoon, I hope they resume their activities soon.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:27 PM

I wouldn't worry about their continued presence in Saskatoon.

They're building in Stonebridge at the moment as well.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 10:54 PM

Looks like initial site work is underway for the Great Western expansion.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 6:11 PM

Anyone know what is happening at the old Hose & Hydrant?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
No but I will have to check it out next time I walk past...
One interesting observation from earlier today is that the big ground floor unit of the new tower on Broadway/Main now has a "leased" sign; it will definitely be interesting to see what goes in there!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 9:47 PM

Hose & Hydrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
There is a discussion regarding this on the Saskatoon Restaurants, Pubs & Retail thread. I am not sure how to link it here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 9:44 PM

Anyone interested in the land development in Saskatoon for the next few years here is a report:
https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...g%20Report.pdf

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Looks like initial site work is underway for the Great Western expansion.
Excellent! As it stands now, walking past that stretch of 2nd is a dead zone/massive billboard on that side of the street. I believe the street scape will be a massive improvement, and the hop tower will add some height to the area. I can't find the render, can someone post it again? Cheers!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 7:23 AM

Is there fencing around the old community garden for the new office bldg at the top of Broadway bridge? I recall them doing some drilling last year; soil core tests, I believe....

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 11:45 PM

12th Street East, 8-storey office and commercial tower site near Broadway

Fencing around Great Western Brewing Company

Construction Update on Two Twelve, a 5-storey condo

Saskatoon central library site update.

Downtown Saskatoon with the Baydo Tower in the background.
All pictures are taken by me using an iPhone 13 Pro Max.
Hope this helps with visualizing some of the proposed and UC sites.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan