HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 4:33 PM

Although this is a big win for Downtown Dallas ( 5000 workers in the central core ) the complex itself is a disappointment to many here. Basically an eleven story suburban office complex more at home in Plano or Frisco. Those 80 story towers originally part of the plan were more click-bait that reality.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 5:41 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc View Post
Although this is a big win for Downtown Dallas ( 5000 workers in the central core ) the complex itself is a disappointment to many here. Basically an eleven story suburban office complex more at home in Plano or Frisco. Those 80 story towers originally part of the plan were more click-bait that reality.
I think there was one 80 story tower, but then a concept of two 50 story towers plus a bunch of other high-rises was floated around.

I don't know how serious of a prospect that is but I don't think that the first building of Goldman Sachs headquarters is part of that, so maybe there's still a shot at a few decently tall buildings?

Someone who knows more / lives in Dallas please enlighten me.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc View Post
The article says :"Goldman Sachs will move workers from downtown Dallas..." I don't think this complex is right downtown but on the edge of it. From articles I have read, companies have been moving offices out of downtown Dallas to areas like uptown...but maybe some of those workers relocating from the suburbs of Richardson and Plano will chose to live downtown if they are forced to come into the office...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
The article says :"Goldman Sachs will move workers from downtown Dallas..." I don't think this complex is right downtown but on the edge of it. From articles I have read, companies have been moving offices out of downtown Dallas to areas like uptown...but maybe some of those workers relocating from the suburbs of Richardson and Plano will chose to live downtown if they are forced to come into the office...
Correct. The Goldman Sachs building is being built in Uptown, not Downtown, and half (or more) of the expected employees will be moving in from Downtown.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Country View Post
Correct. The Goldman Sachs building is being built in Uptown, not Downtown, and half (or more) of the expected employees will be moving in from Downtown.
Downtown Dallas Has Lost Its Competitive Edge, But A Dedicated EDC Could Lift It Back Up.

September 29, 2023, Olivia Lueckemeyer, Dallas-Fort Worth BisNow

Downtown Dallas continues to lose office business to its neighbor to the north, and at least one developer believes the antidote is to add new buildings.

Last week, Bank of America announced it would ditch its downtown digs for a new building facing Klyde Warren Park. Chase Bank is also leaving downtown in favor of Uptown, as is Goldman Sachs.

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...back-up-120902

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 10:57 PM
DENNAB

Will the GS complex cover the whole site owned?

I know the other projects were just conceptual but I wonder if it could lure developers to build if there's more lots to develop.

Not sure if it's a realistic place for 50+ story apartment towers but it's cool thought.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Will the GS complex cover the whole site owned?

I know the other projects were just conceptual but I wonder if it could lure developers to build if there's more lots to develop.

Not sure if it's a realistic place for 50+ story apartment towers but it's cool thought.
It will not cover the whole space. there will be other lots created when the street grid is restored.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:32 AM

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:46 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
30-story 445-ft uptown tower to break ground this week.
Wow, big news, that's almost a skyscraper.

Quote:
It will not cover the whole space. there will be other lots created when the street grid is restored.
That's good, I'm assuming high-rises will likely go there?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:21 PM
FYHA

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...wntown-dallas/

Quote:
First look: New high-rises on the way north of downtown Dallas

Uptown area office and residential towers are planned in KERA’s Chalk Hill development on Harry Hines Boulevard.

By Steve Brown

5:00 AM on Nov 8, 2023

Developers are giving a first look at two new high-rises planned in the Uptown area north of downtown Dallas.

Kaizen Development Partners and public broadcasting station KERA in September disclosed they formed a partnership to build the mixed-use project called Chalk Hill on the broadcaster’s property along Harry Hines Boulevard at Wolf Street.

KERA is selling 2.4 acres of its campus to Kaizen, which has a track record of building offices in Uptown, Allen and McKinney. KERA will also build its new headquarters and studios on part of the site, with construction planned to start late next year.

Detailed plans for the development were presented Tuesday evening to the Oak Lawn Committee.

The project is planned to include a 21-story, 396,000-square-foot office tower, a 27-story 287-unit residential building and 19,725 square feet of retail space.

Kaizen already has the zoning to build the office high-rise and is seeking a specific use permit for the residential tower, which would have ground level retail space. The buildings would be supported with a combination of underground and garage parking.

Kaizen is teaming up with Crescent Communities on the apartment tower. Architects BOKA Powell, WDG and SWA Group are working on the project.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 11:01 PM

^ It’s like the CBD is poison to developers.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
^ It’s like the CBD is poison to developers.
There's still some stuff going on there, but not as hot as other areas of Central Dallas. There's just so much available land around Dallas, that the need to build in one area isn't a necessity. I think we'll start to see more momentum downtown as the area continues to be invested in (new parks, new modern streetcar lines, new convention center, etc.).

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 2:34 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
There's still some stuff going on there, but not as hot as other areas of Central Dallas. There's just so much available land around Dallas, that the need to build in one area isn't a necessity. I think we'll start to see more momentum downtown as the area continues to be invested in (new parks, new modern streetcar lines, new convention center, etc.).
I dunno, there's a lot of clustered development in one tight spot in uptown now. Uptown is becoming the new downtown, in terms of offices. But offices are boring and not what they used to be because of work from home, so whatever. Uptown is pretty blah IMO, it's just luxury offices and towers with underground parking garages full of Audi's. That said Downtown is too much on the other side of the spectrum with bums and meth heads everywhere and it's not a good place to be.

It's disappointing that these things are migrating further from DART, though I wonder how many office workers at Bank of America or Goldman Sachs would ever use transit. And look on the bright side, at least Uptown is directly across the highway from Downtown and still effectively in the city center, rather than a Houston type situation where the CBD, although slightly healthier, is very far from the new regional core which around the Galleria and out I-10. It would be like if Uptown Dallas didn't exist and instead the same amount of development was strewn along 635 instead (along with what's already there).

I think Dallas should prioritize entertainment, tourism, higher education, and governmental office space in the original CBD and let the cards fall. I don't think the macro trend of declining office demand is something that the city of Dallas could ever stop.

Also the homeless services and congregation points need to be relocated out of the CBD. I'm not saying that an individual who may or may not be homeless can't exist in a public space if they are doing nothing illegal, this is a free country after all. But like, shelters and groups that do feeding services, etc, need to be given space somewhere else preferrably on the other side of I-30/345 and there needs to be zero tolerance for laying around on the sidewalk.

Not sure if it's possible but I wonder how hard it would be to get rid of Star Liquor by West End Station.

I know real life isn't SimCity but whole area needs to be redone. Re-align streets, etc to make it possible to redevelop those lots. How much parking does that part of Downtown still need if many of the office workers have left and the homeless turned West End into a ghost town 30 years ago?

Despite all the articles saying its impossible to convert midcentury high rise office towers to residential because their floors are too big or whatever, hasn't Downtown Dallas been almost a leader in that?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 2:32 AM

As an outsider who just stayed in downtown Dallas for a few days, I have to say that the difference between “old” downtown and uptown across the freeway was incredibly stark and a bit jarring. It felt like two entirely different cities built decades apart. Uptown was “nice” but also pretty bland, at less the parts I saw. I think better pedestrian access between the two could help (the capped park is a great start).

Further north of that, though, seemed a bit more active and residential. Really liked running along the (very busy) Katy Trail! Deep Ellum seemed cool too, though I didn’t get to explore as much as I wanted.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 9:26 PM
DENNAB

Anyone see this? Pretty cool.

https://newparkdallas.com/the-district/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 9:34 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Anyone see this? Pretty cool.

https://newparkdallas.com/the-district/
There's this from last June.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ns-south-side/

Quote:
Dallas approves up to $96 million in incentives for downtown skyscraper project

The Newpark development lands up to $96 million in incentives.

By Steve Brown
6:57 PM on Jun 22, 2022

Developers who want to build a huge mixed-use project on the south side of downtown Dallas got millions of dollars in incentives for the project from the city.

The Dallas City Council voted Wednesday to provide up to $96.1 million in economic support for the proposed Newpark development located just south of City Hall.

Dallas’ Hoque Global has been working for several years on plans for the almost 20-acre district between Canton and Cadiz Streets. The centerpiece of the Newpark project would be a 38-story office, residential and hotel tower built in partnership with Omaha-based Lanoha Real Estate Co.

Additional buildings would be constructed on properties that are mostly occupied by surface parking lots.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 9:35 PM
DENNAB

Gotcha, is it still happening?

Too much ambiguity around these.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Gotcha, is it still happening?

Too much ambiguity around these.
There's ZERO chance this is happening.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 12:40 AM

Groundbreaking was held today @ Turtle Creek: Rosewood Residences

https://residencesturtlecreek.com/
c/o credit to Srayldtx from Dallas Metropolis

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 4:36 PM

MSD Capital's project on the Katy Trail broke ground.

The project will feature a 28 story residential building, a 26 story luxury hotel brand, and a 10 story office complex. All three buildings are going up at the same time.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-rise-complex/
Dallas Morning News

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations