Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 5:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
And for those that say:

"BUT THEY DON'T HAVE SNOW, DUUR."

Then get the government to throw a roof over the rail. You would likely save the money doing an automated system (in terms of operating expenses, read: driver wages) to the point where the maintenance of a snow roof thrown ontop of some surface rail, would probably be less expensive.
One would think an earthquake resistant structure could withstand snow.

I hope the engineer that approved these structures has his ring melted off of their finger.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 6:42 PM

It's not quite that simple. Sesimic load and snow load behave differently and impact structures differently. Snow load is a gravity driven downward force, whereas sesimic events can involve vertical and/or lateral shaking. When you are dealing with concrete, direction of force is very important because concrete is very strong in compression, but not so much in tension (hence the benefit of rebar to get tensile strength.

Even adding a roof to keep snow off the track could impact the distribution of snow load/stress and add additional wind load be creating a sail effect over the track increasing compression on one side of the pier, but potentially even creating tension on the other side. Not too mention deifferences in concrete requirements to account for more substantial freeze-thaw and needs to reflect different geotechnical contexts.

The Edmonton piers is a big engineering fail - it's genually astounding that this was missed. But from an engineering perspective, copy-pasting this type of design probably isn't an effective solution.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 8:51 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 10:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Looks like a good test of what happens when entitled idiot drivers do stupid things.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

I hope no one was seriously injured. Edmontons LRT has been a disaster so far.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 6:09 PM

Renders of what will be the Scarborough Town Centre's Line 2 extension station entrances.

Source: urbaotoronto.ca

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Feb 1, 2023 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 6:17 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Renders of what will be the Scarborough Town Centre's Ontario Line station entrances.
That looks pretty cool but... I don't think the Ontario line is supposed to reach Scarborough is it? Perhaps it actually shows the new DB line extension.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 6:27 PM

It's the DB extension, which will go as far as Sheppard, where it will eventually be connected to a line 4 extension.

Source: https://stevemunro.ca/2020/12/11/egl...t-lrt-updates/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 7:23 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I just noticed that you can clearly see the progression of the Millennium Line's elevated track columns on the bottom right side of the photo.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 7:39 PM

LRT construction by West Edmonton Mall, apologies for the image size...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 11:42 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That looks pretty cool but... I don't think the Ontario line is supposed to reach Scarborough is it? Perhaps it actually shows the new DB line extension.
I was about to say, unless the government made an announcement ahead of election season (3 years from now), I don't see a new subway coming to Scarborough. The renders look great.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 3:48 PM

Algonquin Station, the south-west terminus of Line 1 in Ottawa. Serves buses from Barrhaven, Ottawa's largest college and City offices (hundreds of City workers, library, theatre, other City services). Only underground station of Stage 2 and fifth underground station of Ottawa's O-Train.

Quote:
Laine Johnson
@laine_johnson1

Check out the #LRT progress in #collegeward. Better transit connectivity will make all the for our communities! Thanks for the tour, @OC_Transpo KEV and Jordan @PCLConstruction, site super at Algonquin station and a proud @AlgonquinColleg grad. #OttTransit

https://twitter.com/laine_johnson1/s...DQ_fGtz_IsAAAA

Last edited by J.OT13; Jan 26, 2023 at 4:07 PM. Reason: Had the wrong link.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 4:18 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I hope no one was seriously injured. Edmontons LRT has been a disaster so far.
Edmonton's LRT is not a disaster, the original line from UofA to Clareview has been fairly issue free since inception in 78?

Its the new lines that seem to be taking the highest cost corridors with the vision of appealing to developers to build stuff rather than efficient movement of people...

I'd been fairly vocal in the past that this one intersection on the entire new line should have been built with grade separation. We dont need that they all said. It costs too much... they all said. Then we start designing the NW LRT line, and look, they are starting to plan to grade separate key intersections! 137th Avenue station, looking at you!

Edmonton - one step forward, two steps back.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Edmonton's LRT is not a disaster, the original line from UofA to Clareview has been fairly issue free since inception in 78?

Its the new lines that seem to be taking the highest cost corridors with the vision of appealing to developers to build stuff rather than efficient movement of people...

I'd been fairly vocal in the past that this one intersection on the entire new line should have been built with grade separation. We dont need that they all said. It costs too much... they all said. Then we start designing the NW LRT line, and look, they are starting to plan to grade separate key intersections! 137th Avenue station, looking at you!

Edmonton - one step forward, two steps back.
Yeah sorry, That is what I mean. The new lines, I should have been clearer about that. The older lines are actually pretty good. Those are the type of LRTs we should all be aiming for. In general I like the Edmonton LRT.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 2:17 AM
Midtowner since 2K

It's great to see this intersection at Eglinton and Bayview look nearly complete after many years, with the two station entrances now nearly complete for what will be called Leaside station, even though this is the corner of Leaside. (The station names for this rail line aren't great at times)
The Weather on a Wednesday by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
NW corner:
The Weather on a Wednesday by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I was about to say, unless the government made an announcement ahead of election season (3 years from now), I don't see a new subway coming to Scarborough. The renders look great.
It's not the Ontario Line. It's an extension of regular old Line 2.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 7:27 PM
Community Guy

Dawson Wallace Construction Ltd.
5,793 followers
22m

Follow

Progress Update!

Dawson Wallace have been selected as Construction Managers for the Valley Line West LRT Lewis Farms Storage Facility. Piling is complete and foundations are well underway in preparation for structural steel erection early February 2023. The Storage facility will be located adjacent to the existing Lewis Farms Transit Station. This will be purpose built 63,000 square feet containing LRV storage & support areas.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/daw...dLxFiyng%3D%3D

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 5:58 PM
BANNED

This was posted in the London Transit page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Work on the south leg of the BRT project to start in March. Wellington Rd will be rebuilt north of the Thames river over the next few years including widening of the Clark Bridge over the river.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...d-brt-corridor
Although only BRT, it is good to see some more movement on this.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 6:46 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Emily Carr/Great Northern Way station (Millennium Line extension) progress as of last Wednesday

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada