HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:37 PM

Saw this posted on Reddit. Shelby dropped a couple of earmarks for UA in the gargantuan Omnibus bill this week.

https://about.bgov.com/news/what-to-...ions-at-stake/
  • $45 million for the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa for "Construction of a High-Performance Computing and Data Center for Water and Hydrological Scientific Research
  • $50 million for the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, AL, for "a permanent endowment fund to support the recruitment and retention of exceptional faculty in science and engineering."

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 9:34 PM

Senator Shelby is retiring, but, will go down in history as the "King of Pork". Long live the King!!!! He has been a great friend and alum to UA. I hope new Senator Britt will follow suit in the future. Maybe, she can work herself into a position to bring home the federal dollars. She definitely has the smarts. Long live the Queen!!! As for Senator Tub-O-Shit, he is a waste of oxygen. He has no respect from his colleagues. He's simply looked upon as a complete dumb ass. So, he's like the wallflower in the room. Please, Alabama, think before you vote. RTR

P.S. Also, $100 million for a new 6-lane Hwy 82 bridge with bike/walking lane over the Black Warrior that will connect the Riverwalk at UA to the Northern Riverwalk (donated Randall property).

Here are the other Tuscaloosa projects that would be funded by the federal spending package, according to Shelby's office:

$50 million to UA for a permanent endowment fund to support the recruitment and retention of exceptional faculty in science and engineering.
$45 million to UA for the construction of the Center for Hydrologic Computing, which will support the center and its co-located partners, the National Water Center and the USGS Hydrologic Instrumentation Facility, in hydrologic research, education, and forecasting.
$10 million to UA for an institute on public service and leadership, including a scholars program.
$45 million in grant funding for the nation’s protection and advocacy system, which includes the Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program in Tuscaloosa.
$40 million in formula state grants for Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Mental Illness (PAIMI), which supports the Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program's PAIMI program in Tuscaloosa.
Funding to the U.S. Geological Survey to support the new USGS Hydrological Instrumentation facility, which is at the University of Alabama. This funding includes $13.5 million to support integrated water prediction operations; $4 million to assist in future hydrological research and operational efforts; and $4.5 million for UA partnerships for innovative water resource sensor technologies.
$5 million for the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management to establish a Center for Paleo-environmental Records of Extreme Events, which will be at UA.
At least $38.5 million to support staffing and operations at the National Water Center in Tuscaloosa.
$28.25 million, $8.25 million above the FY22 enacted level, for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Cooperative Institute for Research to Operations in Hydrology, which is at UA , to assist NOAA and the National Water Center in addressing the nation’s growing water-related challenges and leveraging CIROH expertise for most operationally relevant research. At least $1 million is maintained for the National Centers for Costal Ocean Service to collaborate on research priorities with the NOAA CIROH.

Last edited by Packer16; Dec 23, 2022 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2022, 4:27 PM

I very much was hoping that the Republican Senators would have the courage to vote no to this horrendous abomination of an inflationary, woke (DEI keeps winning) spending bill, but surprise surprise, they did not.

With that said, good things can come from things that are bad overall. Furthermore, the South and UA in particular, deserve reparations. Was there ever a Marshall plan for the South after the War for Independence from the North? I don't think so. If I am wrong, someone correct me please.

Had UA not been burnt to the ground by the Union troops, UA would have most likely been designated the state's land grant school, and Auburn would have remained a small liberal arts school. So, yes, UA deserves reparations. I will enjoy seeing those federal dollars coming to UA, though again, in the long term, this bill is another nail in the coffin of this clown nation.

As for UA Graduate students, I have seen the numbers, and they are not rising much. There was significant growth a few years ago, but it seems to have stalled, paralleling the dramatic decline in UA's ranking in USNWR Annual Best Colleges. UA will continue to have a tough time drawing top grad students as long as its academic rep continues to suffer. When 25 % of your freshmen students have an ACT of 21 or lower (dropped from 23 to 21 in one year!), you aren't going to be considered an elite school.

And can someone hear please explain to me why significantly more Alabamian first time college students enroll at Auburn vs UA? UA is far prettier, has a better football program, has far better dorms, Greek houses, access to a bigger city, etc. Yet Auburn rules the state again in in-state enrollment. You think the decline in UA's academic rep might play any role in this? How could it not?

Parents want their kids going to the best school, in the best environment. And Auburn is clearly winning that in state battle, DESPITE far more generous UA scholarships for even mediocre in state students. Something is wrong at UA for this to be the reality. Serious responses please, cause I for one want to see the trend reversed!

Last edited by atlanta68; Dec 24, 2022 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2022, 8:21 PM

Earl, I see you've been heavy into the bottle, again. I know this time of year is tough for you and my condolences for your loss. I don't know how I could handle the loss of my spouse. But, I do know that she would want me to carry on and try to be a positive influence on society.

That said, I want to provide this data for the "OTHER" readers because E.T. can't seem to quite understand what is presented to him. The data, below, was released to the Board of Trustees about a month ago. As you can see, the ACT trend has been improving steadily over the years. Understand that the average ACT scores for high school graduates in this state has been dropping for the last 6 years and is now ~18. Also, as the population of the state of Alabama has only grown 11% since Dr Witt arrived at UA in 2003, the in-state number of enrolled freshmen at UA has increased 14%. And, with the dramatic increase in out-of-state students, it has made the "percentage" of in-state students decrease eventhough the number of in-state numbers increased. The graduate school has grown 17% over the last ten years. As I said before, the dramatic increase will not happen over night. To grow the STEM grad programs, you have to have lab space (A lot is currently under construction and much more to come in the near future). Also, you need "Big Dog" professors who are at the top of their game and know how to get grants funded that will pay the "stipends" for the graduate students they attract to their labs. With the dollars UA is putting in, plus the $50 million Senator Shelby just brought to UA for a permanent endowment to attract this type of faculty, that number is about to really take off. Also, look at the increasing graduation rate. We are currently producing almost 10,000 graduates (success stories) per year. The future is bright for the University of Alabama. RTR

https://uasystem.edu/images/document...ember-2022.pdf

Back to E.T., I do want to wish you a Happy Holidays and hope that you find happiness in life. There are so many good things to enjoy in this world. I hope that you can find a way. RTR

Last edited by Packer16; Dec 26, 2022 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post

And can someone hear please explain to me why significantly more Alabamian first time college students enroll at Auburn vs UA? UA is far prettier, has a better football program, has far better dorms, Greek houses, access to a bigger city, etc. Yet Auburn rules the state again in in-state enrollment. You think the decline in UA's academic rep might play any role in this? How could it not?

Parents want their kids going to the best school, in the best environment. And Auburn is clearly winning that in state battle, DESPITE far more generous UA scholarships for even mediocre in state students. Something is wrong at UA for this to be the reality. Serious responses please, cause I for one want to see the trend reversed!
I just googled how many in-state students each University has and AU has 16.9K while UA has 16.2. I wouldn't call that dominating us, but I agree with you in that I would like to see that reversed and eventually us blow past them with in-state students. I believe we are doing a better job of recruiting the in-state students and will hopefully see us trend even better over the next few years, but we also unfortunately have a "reputation" when it comes to partying over academic studying. High schoolers of course want to go to Bama to party but unfortunately they aren't the ones paying tuition so the parents look at that and say "no way our kid is going to college to party" and I have heard that very quote from a few parents over the past few years. I agree with you though on previous statements about how we have the better campus, football program (some kids don't care though about that), nightlife, and newer academic and fraternal buildings, as well as a much more generous scholarship plan.

What I have also noticed is that a lot of UA legacies are going to AU because all their friends are going there and that is a tougher trend to shift from. When I was in high school 15 years ago everyone in this town was going to UA, including AU legacies and in a matter of a few short years that trend flip flopped. I'm hoping we can swing back to the "all my friends are going to UA so i want to go and have fun with them".

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
Earl, I see you've been heavy into the bottle, again. I know this time of year is tough for you and my condolences for your loss. I don't know how I could handle the loss of my spouse. But, I do know that she would want me to carry on and try to be a positive influence on society.

That said, I want to provide this data for the "OTHER" readers because E.T. can't seem to quite understand what is presented to him. The data, below, was released to the Board of Trustees about a month ago. As you can see, the ACT trend has been improving steadily over the years. Understand that the average ACT scores for high school graduates in this state has been dropping for the last 6 years and is now ~18. Also, as the population of the state of Alabama has only grown 11% since Dr Witt arrived at UA in 2003, the in-state number of enrolled freshmen at UA has increased 14%. And, with the dramatic increase in out-of-state students, it has made the "percentage" of in-state students decrease eventhough the number of in-state numbers increased. The graduate school has grown 17% over the last ten years. As I said before, the dramatic increase will not happen over night. To grow the STEM grad programs, you have to have lab space (A lot is currently under construction and much more to come in the near future). Also, you need "Big Dog" professors who are at the top of their game and know how to get grants funded that will pay the "stipends" for the graduate students they attract to their labs. With the dollars UA is putting in, plus the $50 million Senator Shelby just brought to UA for a permanent endowment to attract this type of faculty, that number is about to really take off. Also, look at the increasing graduation rate. We are currently producing almost 10,000 graduates (success stories) per year. The future is bright for the University of Alabama. RTR

Back to E.T., I do want to wish you a Happy Holidays and hope that you find happiness in life. There are so many good things to enjoy in this world. I hope that you can find a way. RTR

Ok, I now know who you are talking about. I am not him. You really need to stop libeling him. If you have any shame, stop this now. He is a good man and does not deserve this.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post

I have never said things have not improved in the last ten years. They have, my concern is that they are reverting. I will provide a more detailed response later when I have time. I am not retired, and work full time. Anyway, I did notice that somehow, despite the mean UA ACT dropping from 26.1 to 26, UA System is claiming that the 25th to 75th percentile has improved from 21-31 to 22 to 32 from 21 to 22. Explain that.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
I just googled how many in-state students each University has and AU has 16.9K while UA has 16.2. I wouldn't call that dominating us, but I agree with you in that I would like to see that reversed and eventually us blow past them with in-state students. I believe we are doing a better job of recruiting the in-state students and will hopefully see us trend even better over the next few years, but we also unfortunately have a "reputation" when it comes to partying over academic studying. High schoolers of course want to go to Bama to party but unfortunately they aren't the ones paying tuition so the parents look at that and say "no way our kid is going to college to party" and I have heard that very quote from a few parents over the past few years. I agree with you though on previous statements about how we have the better campus, football program (some kids don't care though about that), nightlife, and newer academic and fraternal buildings, as well as a much more generous scholarship plan.

What I have also noticed is that a lot of UA legacies are going to AU because all their friends are going there and that is a tougher trend to shift from. When I was in high school 15 years ago everyone in this town was going to UA, including AU legacies and in a matter of a few short years that trend flip flopped. I'm hoping we can swing back to the "all my friends are going to UA so i want to go and have fun with them".
I don't have time right now to respond in detail, but the gap between UA and AU in attracting in state students has widened in the last two years. UA had reversed the trend up till 2021, but again, despite very generous schollies for even mediocre in state students, that gap is now significantly in AU's favor. I will provide the data later. I already have, but will show it again.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 4:57 PM

https://auburn.edu/administration/ir...ographics.html Auburn does not make it easy to get their first time student info. I have seen it on their website, and the data backs up what I wrote above. I will keep trying to find that specific data point.

Most of the time, they simply use the term freshman, which includes a small, but significant number of students who are not first time students, but who have still not progressed beyond the freshman status. But even with that caveat, it is easy to see below that Auburn is more successful than UA at attracting freshman students. Just click on the link above and choose the appropriate categories and you can compare their numbers of freshman with that of UA. Like I said, we have a problem at UA, and our leaders need to figure out the solution, unless they are ok with UA being less popular than AU with instate students.

UA First time student in state (2021) 2,799 (2022) 2,851 UA uses "first time" to avoid offending the Office of DEI with non-gender neutral language
AU Freshman student in state (2021) 3,584 (2022) 3,939 AU still uses freshman, but this again can include students who are no longer first time students.

Yes, we were making progress closing the in state enrollment gap, but in the last two years Auburn has reversed that trend, despite all of the positive factors already mentioned in UA's favor. Why? I believe academic reputation is the reason, and UA alumni better wake up and put pressure on Stewart Bell and other members of the "everything is going swell" crowd in Tuscaloosa.

Last edited by atlanta68; Dec 29, 2022 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 5:00 PM

As for Graduate student enrollment, I refer you to this old post:
Quote:
Hate to be Debbie downer, but the Graduate Student enrollment did drop sharply from Fall 21 to 22. See https://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/613f...%20by%20Campus TableE13 vs. https://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/631b...%20by%20Campus Table E13

I know Stuart Bell has to put a positive spin on the data, however, he is outright misleading alumni with his over the top rah rah, things are going just swell propaganda.

Last edited by atlanta68; Dec 29, 2022 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 9:05 PM

Quote:
https://auburn.edu/administration/ir...ographics.html Auburn does not make it easy to get their first time student info. I have seen it on their website, and the data backs up what I wrote above. I will keep trying to find that specific data point.

But even with that caveat, it is easy to see below that Auburn is more successful than UA at attracting freshman students. Like I said, we have a problem at UA, and our leaders need to figure out the solution, unless they are ok with UA being less popular than AU with instate students.

UA First time student in state (2021) 2,799 (2022) 2,851 UA uses "first time" to avoid offending the Office of DEI with non-gender neutral language
AU Freshman student in state (2021) 3,584 (2022) 3,939 AU still uses freshman, but this again can include students who are no longer first time students.

Yes, we were making progress closing the in state enrollment gap, but in the last two years Auburn has reversed that trend, despite all of the positive factors already mentioned in UA's favor. Why? I believe academic reputation is the reason, and UA alumni better wake up and put pressure on Stewart Bell and other members of the "everything is going swell" crowd in Tuscaloosa.
I hear what you're saying and you have a good gripe so I'm not really arguing with you in the fact that we HAVE to do better with in-state students and I will say this before I take off for the weekend and will respond when i get back next week. BUT color me skeptical in AU's numbers. With all the factors you and I mentioned I find it VERY difficult to believe they enrolled 1100 more students from this state in 2022. Where are they getting that many extra students? Birmingham is the largest city and UA has a little bit more than AU in that area. Huntsville, I can see more going to AU than UA and Montgomery of course will have more AU. In saying that I just don't see THAT many more kids choosing AU. I know AU states that they don't count students within a 50 mile radius in neighboring states as in-state but to me it sounds a lot like they are counting GA residents as in-state.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 4:16 AM

Quote:
I hear what you're saying and you have a good gripe so I'm not really arguing with you in the fact that we HAVE to do better with in-state students and I will say this before I take off for the weekend and will respond when i get back next week. BUT color me skeptical in AU's numbers. With all the factors you and I mentioned I find it VERY difficult to believe they enrolled 1100 more students from this state in 2022. Where are they getting that many extra students? Birmingham is the largest city and UA has a little bit more than AU in that area. Huntsville, I can see more going to AU than UA and Montgomery of course will have more AU. In saying that I just don't see THAT many more kids choosing AU. I know AU states that they don't count students within a 50 mile radius in neighboring states as in-state but to me it sounds a lot like they are counting GA residents as in-state.
Well again, if UA presented its total number of "Freshman," it would make the gap between the two look somewhat smaller. But there aren't that many freshman who are NOT first time students, so I think the comparison I presented is still valid.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 4:35 PM

Hmmm - As someone who lives part time in Auburn, I think Auburn appeals to in-state kids more because it's definitely more of a "down-home" community and school. Alabama kids are comfortable with that transition from high school.

I think UA has a more elevated and universal appeal to everyone else, even those coming from larger cities. Our campus is a BIG wow to out-of-staters who are looking for that true southern school experience. I have a client in CA and a client in MI whose kids visited lots of southern schools for this reason, and Bama was hands-down the most impressive to them - not to mention UA was the most organized and informative in their recruitment and gave the very best tours with these folks during their campus visits, which is why they enrolled.

Just my $.02.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Hmmm - As someone who lives part time in Auburn, I think Auburn appeals to in-state kids more because it's definitely more of a "down-home" community and school. Alabama kids are comfortable with that transition from high school.

I think UA has a more elevated and universal appeal to everyone else, even those coming from larger cities. Our campus is a BIG wow to out-of-staters who are looking for that true southern school experience. I have a client in CA and a client in MI whose kids visited lots of southern schools for this reason, and Bama was hands-down the most impressive to them - not to mention UA was the most organized and informative in their recruitment and gave the very best tours with these folks during their campus visits, which is why they enrolled.

Just my $.02.

I think that makes a lot of sense, but I still think it is just one important factor. I know as an alumnus of UA that I am biased, but UA is so much prettier and more impressive in other ways than AU, that the in state gap should not even be close. The factor you describe, plus academic reputation, are the main problems IMO.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 11:27 PM

The silence from elites regarding DEI is ending. Here is a great piece by Christopher Rufo, one of the nation's leading critics of CRT and other anti White, anti free speech agendas: https://www.wsj.com/articles/state-l...le_email_share Alabama's state legislature must enact his suggested reforms ASAP. UA is wasting precious resources on an increasingly bloated and unnecessary Office of DEI, as well as the redundant separate Offices of DEI in many of the school's colleges. Additionally, it must end the hiring and teaching requirements that are valuing Neo Marxist ideology over intellect. The "hate incident" reporting also must go. It is not hateful to disagree with a libtard and it is not hateful to be ok with being White.

Last edited by atlanta68; Jan 20, 2023 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 4:32 AM

UA GeoSciences Professor Quits UA, Partially over UA DEI

Professor says he’s quitting University of Alabama amid ‘rise of illiberalism,’ DEI pushes on campuses - al.com
https://www.al.com/news/2023/01/prof...-campuses.html

Some of you want to ignore this. Hopefully, this wakes you up. UA DEI is not raising standards, not raising our national rank, not saving us money, and it is not uniting our campus.

Even if you think it is harmless for UA academics, at least you shoud appreciate that it is bad for UA finances. Over 30 people on campus are paid to promote "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion."

UA is already diverse, with one of the nation's largest enrollments of Black students. Equity is a NeoMarxist bs principle. And how inclusive can UA really be given its decades long focus on the exclusive Greek system? It is all so absurd.

Last edited by atlanta68; Jan 28, 2023 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Professor says he’s quitting University of Alabama amid ‘rise of illiberalism,’ DEI pushes on campuses - al.com
https://www.al.com/news/2023/01/prof...-campuses.html

Some of you want to ignore this. Hopefully, this wakes you up. UA DEI is not raising standards, not raising our national rank, not saving us money, and it is not uniting our campus.

Even if you think it is harmless for UA academics, at least you shoud appreciate that it is bad for UA finances. Over 30 people on campus are paid to promote "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion."

UA is already diverse, with one of the nation's largest enrollments of Black students. Equity is a NeoMarxist bs principle. And how inclusive can UA really be given its decades long focus on the exclusive Greek system? It is all so absurd.
I was wondering how long it would take for you to bring that here. Hahaha. Like I've said before, I agree with you on the DEI issue and don't think its necessary at UA. However, I wish the professor would have been more detailed on the issue. Such as, was there an instance that broke the camel's back? If he's just complaining because he perceives that there is an issue without concrete evidence, then I'm afraid this won't move the needle like we think it should. IF he can come up with evidence I will be more than happy to take up my end of the fight.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:13 PM

Quote:
I was wondering how long it would take for you to bring that here. Hahaha. Like I've said before, I agree with you on the DEI issue and don't think its necessary at UA. However, I wish the professor would have been more detailed on the issue. Such as, was there an instance that broke the camel's back? If he's just complaining because he perceives that there is an issue without concrete evidence, then I'm afraid this won't move the needle like we think it should. IF he can come up with evidence I will be more than happy to take up my end of the fight.

I recently read a student's letter about her experiences in UA. She is terrified of coming forward, but aghast at what she is being indoctrinated in at UA.

Please check your message inbox here. I have more info to share with you in private.

Last edited by atlanta68; Feb 1, 2023 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:18 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/31/polit...ies/index.html

Desantis has proposed ending DEI in Florida Higher Education. Gov. Ivey, it is way past your turn. Act now! End DEI at UA and all of the other public universities in the state. There is ZERO excuse for the state of Alabama allowing Neo-Marxist indoctrination centers on campus.

Presidents like Stuart Bell had no idea what DEI actually meant when they signed off on DEI Offices on their campuses, but now that DEI is being exposed, they need to do the right thing.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 3:24 AM

More Details About Shelby's Financial Windfall UA

https://www.al.com/educationlab/2023...ecedented.html

I meant For UA

Interviews with Chancellor St John, and Dr. Dalton, the Provost about the impact of the funding for UA STEM.

I consider this reparation for what the Union Army did to our campus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast