HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 1:54 PM

DC does have the occasional Wegmans, and there are a few Harris Teeters, I have yet to go to one or find one though

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Brad - Not sure if you're aware of this, but Trader Joe's has arrived here since your move.
The Atlanta debut of Trader Joe's has to be the most incredibly disappointing overhype in town. What a joke they are. Cramped little stores, slim selection and overpriced. They won't survive long in this market with the likes of Whole Foods/Harry's and the stores they're putting up in town.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 4:00 PM
Indignant Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
DC does have the occasional Wegmans, and there are a few Harris Teeters, I have yet to go to one or find one though
Harris Teeter is in Northern Virginia...a good number of them in Arlington and Alexandria, and I know of ones in Fairfax and Annandale, too.

Last edited by catlike; Jan 15, 2007 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 6:08 PM
Indignant Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
The Atlanta debut of Trader Joe's has to be the most incredibly disappointing overhype in town. What a joke they are. Cramped little stores, slim selection and overpriced. They won't survive long in this market with the likes of Whole Foods/Harry's and the stores they're putting up in town.
I haven't been there yet, but I hope nothing has changed with their Southeast expansion. Granted, their fresh produce prices were never that great, but their frozen seafood, frozen produce and gourmet cheese prices were unbeatable when I shopped there.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
TJ is not a full-service supermarket, so you'll be disappointed if you expect them to compete with the Whole Foods, etc. They do, on the other hand, have a number of very good gourmet items that you can easily become addicted to--it's a very niche market; you can't use them for everything, but ever time I visit the West I stock up on dried fruits, honey, water crackers, truffles, salsas, etc. And I would never associate "overpriced" with them .

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 11:06 PM
Indignant Pedestrian

^^^

Those dried granny smith apple rings.

I've been able to find the name brand version of a lot of the Trader Joe's private label items items here, or have found an equivalent item here. However, I've never been able to track down those dang granny smith apple rings in Atlanta.

I agree about your assessment of them as a niche market. I would stop in the store before work a couple of times a week, but inevitably, I'd have to go across the street to the regular grocery store to find some regular ole product they didn't carry.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 12:26 AM

i personally love trader joe's. the fact that the store is small and limited is one of the best aspects of it, to me - a store like Harry's is so large as to make shopping a really frustrating experience. i welcome the idea of a small store with a smaller selection of only interesting and thoughtful merchandise. and trader joe's much cheaper...poor artists like me can't even afford to look at a whole foods, much less actually shop there.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 2:57 AM
Movin' on UP

...And what about 3 Buck Chuck?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 12:39 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Getting back on topic, last night, I got to go inside my friend's apartment at The Flats (the student housing across from IKEA). Expensive, but very nice for college students.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 4:58 AM
Former GTC Deity

Call me crazy, but I think these pictures belong in this thread (didn't even bother looking through the old one, sorry).

Unless of course this idea has been blow down already and I am simply out of the times. In which case, ignore my intrusion.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 7:35 AM

I think these pictures were posted a while back in maybe this or maybe another forum. Regardless, they're pretty sweet and worth another look. Thanks.

Here's a question that I don't think was ever answered though:

In the middle of pictures 1 and 2, which proposed building is that? In picture 1, it's directly above the Turner building, directly to the left of the new 171 (i think it's called) building that just recently topped out and just to the right of the proposed Atlantic. Yes, in the middle. What building is that?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 12:08 PM

BardSeed - That's the next office tower for 17th St. It is actively being marketed, but no firm date or announcement yet.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 2:54 PM

Thanks, MattSal--I don't think I'd seen these before.
I like each of these buildings, but I hope that at least one of the upcoming buildings is going to have a more distinctive shape on top in keeping with the rest of Atlanta's skyline.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 4:36 PM

Is "The Atlantic" a go or still just a proposal? When is it suppose to start construction if it is a go.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 4:49 PM

Atlantic is a go and breaking ground in the spring 2007. AIG is providing financing and assisting Novare in marketing and such. Novare recently refinanced Twelve AS and sold additional financial instruments that they are using toward kickstarting their 2007 projects and land purchases for the 2009 starts. Novare has scaled back if you want to look at it that way their starts/plans for the 2008 timeframe adjusting to market conditions right now; however, the Atlantic is not one they have delayed.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 5:38 PM

While I generally love everything about this building, I can't help but notice that it leaves much to be desired in terms of street presence on the 16th and State Street side. I understand the emphasis of this building is on the 17th street frontage, but I (and I'm sure the adjacent townhome owners) would like to see more than just the wall of a parking garage. There's a nice curve on 16th adjacent to this building that would lend itself to some pretty dramatic storefronts IMO (similar to 1010 Peachtree). It's a shame this wasn't somehow incorporated into the design of this building.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:23 PM

Totally agree. It looks like an afterthought.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
I understand the emphasis of this building is on the 17th street frontage, but I (and I'm sure the adjacent townhome owners) would like to see more than just the wall of a parking garage.
I agree, but I also doubt storefront want to face the fence and back of a townhome. The transition from 17th to home park can be done a lot better than it is now and more specifically with this project.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 8:05 PM

I understand some of the concern about the 16th street. As I've expressed on other forums about Atlanta street retail, IMO 16th is not one that's really meant or even wanted to be a heavy pedestrian corridor but a neighborhood residential only street. Also the grade level from 17th to 16th does not lead to one that should be used for retail I feel. The townhomes were not developed for the back side to be used for anyone but residents as well so I think that was a serious consideration for Novare. Just the way I feel. Some streets should be more private and removed from public scrutiny and travel so the residence can truly use for their necessities like moving, parking, trash and so forth.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 11:01 PM

Those renderings of AS look great. The Atlantic looks great. Can't wait to see it built with my own eyes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta