HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 1:18 AM

Honte, I live very close to the Chicago/Western intersection and I was so disgusted to see that building torn down this year. Now it's been sitting vacant for months and every time I go past there I cringe. Do you know what is planned for that location?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 1:43 AM
Registered

^ I heard through the grapevine that it's going to be a parking lot for the Ukrainian Credit Union. Apparently they own the entire block?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 1:56 AM

That was my biggest fear...another hideous parking lot on Western! Doesn't the Credit Union already have a parking lot? How many fucking parking spots could they possibly need?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 2:06 AM

^ Any pictures of this building? I haven't been out that way in a while so I'm drawing a blank on the intersection.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:22 PM

did anybody happen to see how they show the height of the sears tower in that burj dubai postcard, in the burj forum.it's bullshit..

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 7:39 PM
The City

Designation sensation: Council landmarks five buildings, two districts

Structures include a Coast Guuard building, field house, railroad bridges, and bank

The City Council today designated a number of buildings, structures and districts as Chicago Landmarks, including a series of railroad bridges, an historic firehouse, an old Coast Guard station and a North Side residential area.

"This wide variety of historic structures designated as landmarks today demonstrate how Chicago’s history is shaped in myriad ways, and is reflected in the buildings we cherish," said Mayor Richard M. Daley.

ENGINE COMPANY 42
The three-story structure located at 228 W. Illinois St. was built in 1887 and for more than 80 years served the factories, warehouses, and working-class residences that surrounded Chicago's downtown. Engine Company 42 was designed in the tradition of Chicago's earliest firehouses; simple, functional, and able to accommodate horse-drawn equipment.

DOVER STREET DISTRICT
Situated on wide lots along the 4500, 4600 and 4700 blocks of north Dover Street and the 4700 block of north Beacon Street, the District features large single-family homes, two or two-and-a-half stories tall, of high quality, finely crafted in the Queen Anne, Tudor Revival, Second Empire, and Foursquare styles. The District reflects the history and development of the Sheridan Park neighborhood and the importance of middle-class residences in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

HISTORIC CHICAGO RAILROAD BRIDGES
The 12 historic Chicago railroad bridges singled out are a familiar part of the city's skyline and are among the most visible expressions of the importance of the railroads to the development and growth of Chicago. They are as follows: St. Charles Air Line Bridge at 16th and Lumber Streets; Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Bridges at the Skyway and 98th Street; Chicago & Western Indiana Bridge at 126th and Torrence Avenue; Chicago & Alton Bridge at Ashland and Archer Avenues; Illinois Central Swing Bridge at the Stevenson Expressway and Kedzie Avenue; Pennsylvania "Eight Track" Bridge at 31st Street and Pulaski Road; Pennsylvania Bridge at 19th and Lumber Streets; Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Bridge at Cherry Street and North Avenue; Chicago & Northwestern Bridge at Kinzie and Canal Streets

OLD COAST GUARD STATION
Located east of Lake Shore Drive and south of Navy Pier, it sits atop a breakwater that forms part of the Chicago River Turning Basin and is next to locks that separate Lake Michigan and the Chicago River. Built in 1936 and originally named the Old Chicago Coast Guard Station, it is now known as the Chicago Marine Safety Station. The building itself exemplifies a long tradition of United States maritime ACape Cod@ architecture common on the East Coast and throughout the Great lakes region, but rare in Chicago.

ROANOKE BUILDING AND TOWER
At 11 S. LaSalle St., the Roanoke Building and Tower was designed in stages between 1915 and 1925 by noted architects Holabird & Roche and Andrew Rebori. The building's terra cotta ornamentation is derived from unusual Portuguese Gothic precedents.

CONTINENTAL AND COMMERICAL NATIONAL BANK BUILDING
Built in 1914, the building a 208 S. LaSalle St., is a fine Classical Revival-style bank and office building designed by the renowned firm of D.H. Burnham & Co. It exemplifies the historic importance of LaSalle Street as Chicago’s premier historic street for finance, trade and commerce.

VESEMAN BUILDING
Located at 444 N. LaSalle St., the Veseman Building is an unusually colorful and finely detailed terra cotta-clad building designed in a sophisticated version of the Art Deco style and, as such, is an exceptional example of small-scale Chicago commercial architecture. Terra cotta glazes in pastel hues are used extensively throughout the building to highlight Art Deco ornament.

In a separate action, the Commission on Chicago Landmarks recommended that the City Council consider the designation of two other buildings.

THIRD UNITARIAN CHURCH
Built in 1936, at 301 N. Mayfield Ave., the church's design and construction is reflective of its time and the financial limits that gripped much of the national which was in the midst of the Great Depression. The original structure consists of a rectangular auditorium with an attached two-story office. The form of the building is modern but the auditorium reflects a traditional church plan arranged along a single axis.

HUMBOLDT PARK RECEPTORY BUILDING
The Receptory Building and Stable is located at 3015 W. Division St., on the city=s Near Northwest Side, and is one of the oldest surviving structures in Humboldt Park. It is currently occupied by the Institute of Puerto Rican Arts and Culture. Built in 1895, the two-story structure was designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Frommann and Jebsen.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...inCategoryOID=

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Well, yes, in 1970 things might have been different. And of course, there is a flip-side that they are one of the few tenants who will go into underserved communities and occupy urban storefronts. The question, however: Is the destruction a necessary evil?
I don't think it ever is, no. The neighborhood can turn around, eventually. I'd rather have older historic buildings left in stasis and maintained by the city until this happens, than to let some downmarket retailer come in and destroy the building. At the end of the day the neighborhood will gentrify anyway, why not keep buildings intact until that happens?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 6:25 AM
Chicago 2016

OT for Chicago-

A car crashed into the ABC7 News Studio live tonight during the broadcast.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YHljTL6M174
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JJoGICezRDY&watch_response

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 3:24 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I don't think it ever is, no. The neighborhood can turn around, eventually. I'd rather have older historic buildings left in stasis and maintained by the city until this happens, than to let some downmarket retailer come in and destroy the building. At the end of the day the neighborhood will gentrify anyway, why not keep buildings intact until that happens?
this is a very interesting topic, perhaps one that needs to be moved elsewhere?

i think market economics trumps all "ethics" regarding this topic. For a business, the structure is secondary to the branding and as such you get some poor designs or upkeep of significant buildings.

while most of us would understand that taking care of certain structures and being design savvy should be important to any successful business model, certain businesses came into being at a time when the city was doing poorly. Not the beautiful city that has arisen in the past 20 or so years. For residents who lived in these neighborhoods, being close to a store that met their needs was a good thing.

I agree with you on waiting for the right tenants to eventually find their ways to well preserved stores, but empty buildings also can lead to major problems to a structure. I also don't think there's ample proof that a tenant like Payless can lead to a loss of structure. Can they hurt the facade? yes, but again, I haven't seen proof that they destroy the facade to the point of rehabilitation not being an option. That option rests on the developer's shoulder and much of the time they choose the option that will be cheapest while providing the biggest return on investment.

but to answer this question: At the end of the day the neighborhood will gentrify anyway, why not keep buildings intact until that happens?
It's because these "downmarket" tenants provide a service to a"downmarket" population. These tenants also provided streams of revenue for further investment.

Last edited by alex1; Dec 25, 2007 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 12:53 AM
The City

According to the January '08 edition of Chicago Magazine:

1. See Wong has a 7 story condo development with ground level retail spaces planned on south Canal, and it's 80% sold.

2. He has a number of other developments planned to "expand" Chinatown

3. He appears to be selling mostly to recent Chinese immigrants who are interested in owning property

4. He claims the housing slowdown hasn't affected him at all given #3 above

That's all, folks!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 9:35 PM

Cabrini-Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ Is the current plan to tear down all 3 of the Whites, and all the rest of the Reds, in the near future?
Yes, the plan is to tear down the remaining Reds next (they've resumed demolition recently), followed by the last 3 Whites.

Technically, the Reds nearest Division Street were called "Cabrini Extension North," and the Reds between Chicago and Oak Street are called "Cabrini Extension South." The (remaining) Whites are called the "William Green Homes." None of these high-rises should be confused with the row-houses near Chicago Avenue, which will remain in place (I think).

According to the CHA's plan for transformation, this upcoming year should see the demolition of most of the remaining Reds (i.e., Cabrini South) and two of the three remaining Whites.

Check out page 145 on this CHA link if you're interested, but remember as you read it that legal obstructionism has forced them to revise the timeline every single year:

http://www.thecha.org/transformplan/...Appendices.pdf

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy View Post
Yes, the plan is to tear down the remaining Reds next (they've resumed demolition recently), followed by the last 3 Whites.

Technically, the Reds nearest Division Street were called "Cabrini Extension North," and the Reds between Chicago and Oak Street are called "Cabrini Extension South." The (remaining) Whites are called the "William Green Homes." None of these high-rises should be confused with the row-houses near Chicago Avenue, which will remain in place (I think).

According to the CHA's plan for transformation, this upcoming year should see the demolition of most of the remaining Reds (i.e., Cabrini South) and two of the three remaining Whites.

Check out page 145 on this CHA link if you're interested, but remember as you read it that legal obstructionism has forced them to revise the timeline every single year:

http://www.thecha.org/transformplan/...Appendices.pdf
I assume the housing market comes into play regarding the redevelopment timeline as well. Even with federal funds as subsidy, with so many major CHA redevelopments going on around the city there is a limit to how much the market can bear to absorb, particularly in regards to the critical "market rate" units that make the whole project feasible in the first place.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 12:06 AM

I agree completely. That's a very important observation.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:03 AM

Downtown Park Ridge

I passed through Park Ridge on Metra today, and saw that their latest downtown redevelopment project is comming along pretty well.
Renders are available here: http://uptownparkridge.com/residences.html

These are from the train, at the station.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 3:00 AM

It's nice isn't? I've driven through that area on many occasions when heading back into the city from my work out in the burbs. That area around the Metra Station is really looking good. The Pickwick Theater also looks great there as well!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 5:03 AM
The City

Last updated: December 26, 2007 11:56am
RSL, Brijus Plan Design Center Near Mart
By Gina Kenny

(pic from Globe St)

CHICAGO-A joint venture between Robert Levinson, founder and president of RSL Building Corp., and Steven Levin, founder and president of Brijus Properties, are acquiring four buildings, with a total of 75,000 sf on Kinzie St. with plans to redevelop the property into the Kinzie Design Center. The buildings at 220 W. Kinzie St., 222 W. Kinzie St., 226 W. Kinzie St. and 228 W. Kinzie St. were acquired for approximately $7.5 million from Elmer Morris, who had owned the properties since the 1940’s. A cap rate was not disclosed.
The joint venture is renovating and repositioning the property with a focus on the design and furniture industries. The estimated cost for the center is $10.5 million. The joint venture received $9.2 million in financing, which includes the acquisition, construction costs and tenant improvement allowances, Levinson says.

The Kinzie Design Center is about 60% leased but the joint venture is in talks with a possible tenant that could bring the property to more than 80% leased, Levinson says. Other tenants include furniture retailer Haute Living, restaurant Aigre Doux, architects and interior designers. Smallbone of Devizes, a kitchen designer based in the United Kingdom, has signed a 12-year lease for 3,200 sf on the first floor of 220 W. Kinzie St., Levinson says. Paris Ceramics, an affiliate of Smallbone, leases space in the Merchandise Mart but this will be only Smallbone’s third location in the United States. Smallbones’ other two locations are in Manhattan and Greenwich, CT.

(More below)
http://www.globest.com/news/1061_106.../167010-1.html

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 6:04 AM

^^^^ i love those little areas of niche uses. That area of river north is a worldwide destination for designers thanks to the big ol' mart

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:15 PM
Registered

^ Excellent news! I have always loved that cluster. The building on the far right was designed by Patton and Fischer, who have numerous landmarked buildings throughout the metro area.

"The buildings, which were constructed in the late 1800’s, are in the process of being renovated. Levinson and Levin, who are brothers-in-law, are both self-proclaimed architecture buffs and wanted to redevelop the property as opposed to tear down the structures. The exterior is being tuck pointed and the masonry is being restored. The buildings systems and interior spaces are also being renovated and upgraded, such as painting and upgrading the elevators and electrical service. The exterior renovations are expected to be complete within 90 days."

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:39 PM

I noticed those buildings on Kinzie are right next to the "L".

Have there been advances in sound insulation so that locations like this are attractive to renters?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:54 PM
The City

12/26/2007
Public housing to get museum
Remembering the positives, negatives

NEAR WEST
Public housing has a long history in Chicago, dating back to the 1930s. The Jane Addams Homes has only one remaining building on the Near West Side, which may become the first National Public Housing Museum.

The Chicago Housing Authority promised to donate the building, located at 1322-24 W. Taylor, to CHA resident leaders who are interested in turning it into a museum, if the organizers are able to raise enough funding.
http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...07&TM=34043.55

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development