HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:30 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
This. Whenever my wife's friends visit from California, they all refer to coming to Arizona, love Arizona beer (when they are drinking Four Peaks or San Tan), or just refer to Phoenix overall as Arizona. Irks the shit out of me lol
1st world problems

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
In a democracy there is nothing wrong with disagreement, what is important is how we disagree. We have forgotten how to disagree especially on university campuses where we prohibit speakers and have 'safe rooms' which ironically is the antithesis of what the word university means. Our Universities are suppose to be places to share and discuss varying points of view.
As far as this forum is concerned this shouldn't be some snowflake campus setting. When you disagree please do so with integrity and respect for the other persons point of view.
totally agree on this point! yes, we MUST be able to express views/opinions without fear that someone with an opposing view will go off the rails, left or right. universities ESPECIALLY need to embrace ALL opinion/thought otherwise what is the point of the experience? what knowledge is ultimately lost due to political bias???

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:08 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
1st world problems
Don't we discuss a lot of 1st world problems here? Such as what color the sidewalk will be.... I can go on...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
1st world problems

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
totally agree on this point! yes, we MUST be able to express views/opinions without fear that someone with an opposing view will go off the rails, left or right. universities ESPECIALLY need to embrace ALL opinion/thought otherwise what is the point of the experience? what knowledge is ultimately lost due to political bias???
Yeah...*sigh.* Back in the dark ages when I was going to college, campuses were basically stuck in this hilarious kabuki play about those poor conservatives who could never get a damn word in edgewise in the "flaming liberal" campuses in America. Meanwhile 99.9% of college students just take basic courses in mostly basic knowledge (math, science, how to write), party if they get the chance, maybe do some extracurriculars. Craptastic speakers who couldn't get a job if they had to actually apply for one cry and whine about "snowflakes" when they don't get an invitation to host a riot at the local U. The biggest snowflakes are talk radio and pundit television shows (right and left and center and "independent") who allow no dissent, and can't even teach basic stuff like math, science, or how to write. It's just the same stupid argument that Socrates drank his hemlock for.

Look around, folks. The internet is just generally one giant argument, and universities are mostly certification factories that cater to the market. If you want true philosophical banter, go to a watering hole with thoughtful people that you don't know and talk face-to-face. Otherwise, it's usually just peeing up a flagpole.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Might I remind you that personal attacks are forbidden on this forum whether it's against a moderator or not.

You called me obese and rather than admit you're wrong or apologize you insult me again.

But if you want to talk about insecurity, you're inserting yourself into discussions where your opinion does not apply and now you're being more than unpleasant.

I'm assuming that's because your rightwing brain can't calculate that AZ doesn't work out for people and I, as well as millions of others are happier in California.

The facts of the matter overrule your bogus opinion of things, however.
Well that was fun.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
Likewise, I hate the term. It seems so nondescript, as if Phoenix doesn't have a real name. I prefer Metropolitan Phoenix, or the metro area as better terms. I know, I know, The Valley is a moniker that has stuck. Still don't have to like it.

However, what I really dislike is when people refer to Phoenix or the metropolitan area as simply Arizona, making it sound as if it were the whole state. It's really a pet peeve. Sure it's in Arizona true, but there are many other parts of the state that aren't even remotely related to Phoenix. For example, if I were to visit Boston specifically and nowhere else in the state, I wouldn't say, "I went to Massachusetts." I would say, "I went to Boston." I hear so many people refer to Phoenix as simply "Arizona", when all they did was visit Phoenix.

/End rant...lol I'm really off topic. I feel better though.
Considering that 5/7 million people live in the Phoenix metro it isnt really surprising.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:03 AM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Considering that 5/7 million people live in the Phoenix metro it isnt really surprising.
Yep. I know and get it. To many of that percentage, "The Valley" is Arizona.

They should get out more often.....see the Valley beyond their phones and tablets. Buy a tent, sleeping bag, and a rod and reel....

See the REAL Arizona

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:38 PM

Suns owner: Talking Stick Resort Arena renovation plan on track

Not much new developments but am curious to see what the final design will look like...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...enovation.html
Quote:
$230 million renovations to Talking Stick Resort Arena, the home of the NBA's Phoenix Suns, are set to be finished in almost exactly two years.

Suns owner confirmed this week that the team is about halfway through the design and development stages of the arena. Sarver said he believes the city of Phoenix is going to like the designs the team is developing.

The entire project is expected to be finished before the start of the 2021 National Basketball Association season, which will start in October of that year.

Some arena work and changes will be seen at the beginning of the Suns 2020 season, Sarver said.

Sarver gave an update on the arena as he announced a $2.6 million donation to the city of Phoenix’s Head Start program at Byron A. Barry Elementary School on Sept. 17.

The Suns have started to demolish existing structures on the property and expect to start construction on the new building before the end of the year. The practice facility, which will be used by both the Suns and the Phoenix Mercury, is part of the Camelback|44 development that is renovating the entire northwest corner of the 44th Street and Camelback Road intersection.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 9:49 PM

I'll be impressed if the Suns can outdo Milwaukee's recently built arena:

https://populous.com/project/fiserv-forum

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
I'll be impressed if the Suns can outdo Milwaukee's recently built arena:

https://populous.com/project/fiserv-forum
Doubt it considering TSRA will be renovated versus a completely brand new arena. One can hope lol

Dig the screen name...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:30 PM

Lol @ that pic - Go Devils!

TSRA (America West Arena) was ahead of it's time and gives them a nice framework if they want to preserve some of the character, which they should. Hard to bet on Sarver, but with team valuations through the roof I'm hopeful that he won't be a complete cheap ass.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:23 AM
self-important urbanista

Rental Car Tax

The state supreme court has ruled that the rental car tax that funds State Farm Stadium, along with some spring training facilities, is legal:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...se/3904307002/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The state supreme court has ruled that the rental car tax that funds State Farm Stadium, along with some spring training facilities, is legal:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...se/3904307002/
I just don't get it! Why they want pay a rental car fees? What is all about?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:38 PM

Despite down years on the court, Phoenix Suns see season ticket sales grow

Behind a paywall but here's the most important snippet:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-suns-see.html
Quote:
Refurbished arena two years away.

The Suns are in an awkward spot because after this season is over, major construction will begin on the Talking Stick Resort Arena renovation project. But the team wants to make sure fans have a good experience this season, too.

During the next 60 days, Rowley said the team and the city of Phoenix will release renderings and plans of the $230 million renovations.

“We would rather call it a transformation because that’s really what it is,” Rowley said. “It’s really going to feel like a new building.”

While the most significant work will take place during summer 2020, some small construction projects could start in January, he said.

“This coming summer, we’ll be shut down literally the entire summer, and my anticipation would be that probably 80% of the work that’s going to be done in total will be done next summer,” Rowley said. “The summer of 2021 we have to shut down again. It’s not clear if that will be a complete shutdown or a partial shutdown, but the building will be complete by the end of that summer.”

As a result of the renovations, the two other professional teams that use Talking Stick during the summer, the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury and the Arizona Rattlers indoor football team, will move to new home arenas in the region.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Was wondering when the renderings will come! Can't wait to see them!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:

I don’t understand, why are the Suns in a “awkward situation”? Because going to the Finals would delay the construction,lol?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 9:00 PM
Modulator

The next MLS expansion team announced on Monday went to Sacramento. Phoenix Rising continues to be on the chopping block and I am at a loss as to why with Rising shattering attendance records, a billionaire backer, a former MLS legend as part ownership and a solid stadium plan with a site and the land available for an arena. MLS is making me scratch my head.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
The next MLS expansion team announced on Monday went to Sacramento. Phoenix Rising continues to be on the chopping block and I am at a loss as to why with Rising shattering attendance records, a billionaire backer, a former MLS legend as part ownership and a solid stadium plan with a site and the land available for an arena. MLS is making me scratch my head.
It seems to me they must believe that Phoenix cant handle a 5th major sports team.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:10 PM

1) The MLS season goes all the way through summer
2) Rising doesn't have a co-owner that also owns an actual professional team
3) The 'billionaire' you're referring to isn't American and owns a small minority stake
4) Expansion fees are topping 200MM + all the other costs associated like a stadium, infrastructure, front office staffing, etc etc
5) ASU, Suns, Coyotes, Cardinals, Diamondbacks all have issues selling out their respective venues

I could keep going... but if Phoenix gets a team, it'll be towards the end of the 30-team expansion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest