HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:23 PM

To elaborate. They had to use ladder trucks and didn't enter the building until the fire was mostly out. So I'd expect extensive water damage within. Not sure what state the reno's were at. But didn't seem like they were very far along. If they wanted to add stories and a building on the side, I would expect the major works for that to be completed before interior finishing's.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:39 PM

Looks like Birchwood is renovating the Ford dealership on Regent and changing the commercial truck sales building into a Volkswaggen dealership.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...191002(RM)BA-7

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:23 AM
There is always a way

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.5303089

Janice Lukes and Brian Mayes... why am I not surprised? Oh no! The height limit was increased by a few feet!
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post

Janice Lukes and Brian Mayes... why am I not surprised? Oh no! The height limit was increased by a few feet!
Those two are the biggest fools on city council, what a joke they are.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:38 PM

It's so funny to me that Janice came from running the Winnipeg Trails Association and has done a complete 180 in terms of supporting things the WTA would generally align with.

Also – like do they honestly think that every single application should really be treated the same. Should a house in Bridgewater really get the same attention as an office building in a place as prominent and important to the city as Railside? Come on.

Last edited by buzzg; Oct 1, 2019 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:35 PM

I feel like they don't understand what's going on. They're like Police. This is the law, we enforce it no matter what.

Like I mentioned, the original proposal had numerous towers taller the 90' for this exact location.

Lukes said she may endorse it. Which is nice.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:38 PM

It is actually incredible poor form to walk on a motion like Forks Renewal Corporation attempted to do. Janice Lukes and Brian Mayes did exactly the correct thing and considered if the motion was truly an urgent one, determined it was not, and deferred it to a future meeting to allow time for the supporting material to be reviewed. This allows the full merit of the motion to be considered instead of making a gut decision based on the limited facts presented.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:46 PM

^ Yeah, their beef seems to be with the fact that it was a last-minute walked-on matter, not the actual height limit increase itself. Which a reasonable thing to have a beef about, IMO.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 5:19 PM

Yeah, that's totally fair.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:52 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post

Someone should just propose a few 30-storey condos and apartments on that lot, offer to build a hi-tech factory at the base of the towers, create 500 jobs and donate a couple million to relocate the homeless off Main Street & consequently open it up for development, if they're relocated close to Red River College & given some trades education for free.

I would LOVE to see the City of Winnipeg shit their pants, at trying to decide and dictate what development should go where. Especially at a diamond proposal and development JUST like that! If only we could find someone willing to invest a billion dollars into Winnipeg...

Elon Musk, where art thou?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

true north has invested close to that n the last 20yrs

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:47 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
true north has invested close to that n the last 20yrs
I know haha, i meant, just if someone could make an offer the City couldn't refuse, just to rustle the councils jimmies... I'd honestly love it, if Chipman would do that himself. Just offering to plop a row of massive high-rises across their precious zoning and height restrictions... with other benefits to match too, it would sound exactly just like him.

Plus he'd make money off it too, by doing that... so realistically it could be pulled off too. Chipman should just ride councils asses until they remove ALL Downtown height restrictions. THAT would be amazing!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Sadly our current elected officials are not aware enough to care about Elon Musk. A couple years back he was publicly shopping the battery factory for Tesla as a mega project looking for a home. There were crickets publicly from Winnipeg on that front even though it was basically a shovel ready project. The We jumped in with both feet to the Amazon HQ2 trollfest that was basically a fishing expedition from them on who would give them the biggest handouts and has not actually resulted in any signficant projects for the "winning" city.

As I said at the time, you don't send a boat out hoping to land the biggest fish there is. Instead take your money and setup a fish farm. Get the fish when they are minnows and help them grow to giant contenders. ie look at how Skip the Dishes came from virtually no where to employing over 2,000 people locally. We need more of those and less of Amazon HQ2 bids. We need to culture that gets companies like a new born Skip wanting to be here through their growth phase.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:44 PM

I noticed that Probe Research has moved to Fort Street and Ceridian is moving to TNS. Who is still going to occupy the Western Canada Lotteries Building at York and Garry with these two tenants left/leaving? I understand Ceridian took up a decent amount of space in there... will it be vacant for now, or is someone moving in?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Someone should just propose a few 30-storey condos and apartments on that lot, offer to build a hi-tech factory at the base of the towers, create 500 jobs and donate a couple million to relocate the homeless off Main Street & consequently open it up for development, if they're relocated close to Red River College & given some trades education for free.

I would LOVE to see the City of Winnipeg shit their pants, at trying to decide and dictate what development should go where. Especially at a diamond proposal and development JUST like that! If only we could find someone willing to invest a billion dollars into Winnipeg...

But what would Calgary do?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:10 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Build a beautiful....but empty 800'+ tower

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:25 PM

^ That is beautiful.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:17 PM

forgive this slightly off-topic post, but has anyone else run into issues where they click on a skyscraperpage thread and it opens up a spam advertising window with a fake "bell" giveaway?

i don't think my machine has spyware problems -- it seems to only happen with SSP.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
forgive this slightly off-topic post, but has anyone else run into issues where they click on a skyscraperpage thread and it opens up a spam advertising window with a fake "bell" giveaway?

i don't think my machine has spyware problems -- it seems to only happen with SSP.
Yes, happens all the time but only on my iPad. My pc works fine. Switching off JavaScript cures the problem.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 11:06 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

Yes, I had the same problem with a fake Rogers popup a couple of weeks ago (only on iPad). I mentioned it in the Forum Issues forum and after a few days it stopped happening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan