HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 9:37 PM

Any new news of the Amtrak plans coming back to Downtown Phoenix? Now that the Infrastructure Bill passed.

Im eager to hear about that line running from Tucson, to Downtown Phoenix, then to Buckeye and beyond.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
Any new news of the Amtrak plans coming back to Downtown Phoenix? Now that the Infrastructure Bill passed.

Im eager to hear about that line running from Tucson, to Downtown Phoenix, then to Buckeye and beyond.
check back in 10 years

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 10:46 PM

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...c-c735dc0757b6

Quote:
In a 7-2 vote, the council authorized updating the city's codes to allow residents to ride electric bikes throughout Phoenix.

"Bikes and e-bikes can be a means of reducing traffic congestion and lowering our carbon footprint," city documents state. "Along with health benefits, e-bikes have the added benefit of making cycling easier with the assistance of an electric motor."

The city's ordinance specifically allows Class 1 and Class 2 e-bikes, which can move up to 20 mph, on Phoenix's public right-of-way areas.
While e-bikes have been favored by AZ state statutes since around 2018, apparently they were still not permitted on public rights of way by Phoenix city code. Now that's changed and they are permitted.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
https://www.12news.com/article/news/...c-c735dc0757b6

While e-bikes have been favored by AZ state statutes since around 2018, apparently they were still not permitted on public rights of way by Phoenix city code. Now that's changed and they are permitted.
Can we get Scooters north of McDowell please?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 12:28 PM
self-important urbanista

Protected bike lanes on Fillmore have been approved:

https://www.phoenix.gov/streets/fillmore

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 2:28 AM

Tempe Streetcar Testing

They were testing the Tempe Streetcar this afternoon by my office in Marina Heights. This is the stop where the current line ends.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 12:42 PM
self-important urbanista

Valley Metro has hired a new CEO to replace Scott Smith, who is retiring:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...-valley-metro/

Also, the state senate has approved sending an extension of the half cent Maricopa County transportation tax to the voters this November. It still has to pass the house, and the usual demonization of light rail was cited by several members who voted no:

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...7-4a79b8982f8a

Old Posted Mar 19, 2022, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Valley Metro has hired a new CEO to replace Scott Smith, who is retiring:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...-valley-metro/

Also, the state senate has approved sending an extension of the half cent Maricopa County transportation tax to the voters this November. It still has to pass the house, and the usual demonization of light rail was cited by several members who voted no:

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...7-4a79b8982f8a
It's ludicrous that a state level senator or representative who represents Kingman (for example) has a say on what taxes a distant county can levy on the citizens in that distant county.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2022, 12:13 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
It's ludicrous that a state level senator or representative who represents Kingman (for example) has a say on what taxes a distant county can levy on the citizens in that distant county.
I know. It's even more absurd that this requirement applies only to Maricopa County. Arizona's less populated counties can put taxes on a ballot on their own authority, but the biggest one has to obtain 2/3 approval from both houses of the legislature just to let its voters make a decision.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I know. It's even more absurd that this requirement applies only to Maricopa County. Arizona's less populated counties can put taxes on a ballot on their own authority, but the biggest one has to obtain 2/3 approval from both houses of the legislature just to let its voters make a decision.
Yes, let them decision. If they vote Yes or No. Whatever if they say yes. It's up to the voters.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 6:03 PM
Modulator

Waymo to start testing passenger service in Downtown Phoenix (starting with Waymo employees):

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...ix/7209759001/

I had thought they had already been testing, but apparently they have only been driving around to map the roads.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 6:25 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ncreasing.html

Quote:
Many industries have returned to — or exceeded — levels seen before the Covid-19 pandemic and the impact it had on the economy, but one thing still far behind is the public transit ridership.

Phoenix’s public transit operator Valley Metro is still seeing a lot fewer people on its trains and buses than it did before the pandemic.

For fiscal year 2021, which ended last June, Valley Metro reported that total ridership — both buses and light rail — was down more than 57% compared to fiscal year 2019, the last year before a disruption due to Covid-19. The light rail system and new street cars, which are in an expensive — more than $1 billion — process of expanding, have especially seen significant drops in ridership.

“The pandemic has had its impact. There have been fewer events — concerts, games, etc. — and fewer workers traveling to jobs,” said Susan Tierney, the communications manager for Valley Metro. “We had also limited riders to essential workers before vaccinations were available.”

But as life starts to resemble what it was like before the pandemic, there are signs that ridership could be returning.

Monthly weekday ridership numbers for the light rail system, which runs from Mesa to northwest Phoenix, are improving.

In February, which was the most recent ridership report from Valley Metro, there were a total of 564,945 weekday riders on the light rail. That was the highest number of weekday riders in the past 12 months. February’s weekday ridership was up more than 22% from the month before. Fiscal year 2022 is trending ahead of 2021 on ridership as well...

But it isn’t just Covid that has been hurting light rail ridership. Since 2017, ridership has dropped every year, from 16.5 million in fiscal year 2017 to 15.1 million in 2019 to 6.4 million in 2021.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 10:00 PM
self-important urbanista

^The trains are starting to seem almost as crowded as back in 2109 during my daily commute; however, I have to remind myself that they're running only every 15 minutes instead of every 12 like they used to. That may be creating an illusion by cramming a lower number of passengers into less frequent trains. It'll be interesting to see what kind of ridership and headways exist in two years when the South Central and MetroCenter extensions open and the current single line is replaced with two intersecting routes.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 9:02 PM

https://kjzz.org/content/1775687/all...-begins-may-20

Quote:
Riders will soon be able to hop aboard the new Tempe streetcar. Valley Metro plans to begin service on May 20, and fares will be free for the first year of operation.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Awesome! Can’t wait to get on it! Looking forward to it!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
I've noticed Bus Rapid continues to be a ghost town and my theory is there was a strong correlation between government employees who may now WFH and BRT. While some jobs are moving back towards hybrid, it's like 1-2 days a weeks so regrettably our most efficient suburban-city people mover is now looking less viable.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
They were testing the Tempe Streetcar this afternoon by my office in Marina Heights. This is the stop where the current line ends.

How long does testing take? I thought they would of been done by the start of the school year way back in August. Also when is the Sky Train extension supposed to open?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 11:29 AM
Skyriser

They were delayed on receiving the cars. It opens May 20th.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
How long does testing take? I thought they would of been done by the start of the school year way back in August. Also when is the Sky Train extension supposed to open?
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
They were delayed on receiving the cars. It opens May 20th.
Correct. Tempe had hoped to open it last fall, but the cars are manufactured in Pennsylvania and there were COVID delays in getting all the cars built and delivered. It takes a few months to test the cars and train the drivers.

The Sky Train extension is also supposed to open this year, but Sky Harbor hasn't given an official date yet. I would expect it to be sometime in the summer since all the construction has been completed and they're now in the testing phase for the new tracks and stations.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
The Sky Train extension is also supposed to open this year, but Sky Harbor hasn't given an official date yet. I would expect it to be sometime in the summer since all the construction has been completed and they're now in the testing phase for the new tracks and stations.
Still haven't hear anything going on from Sky Harbor lately. I am sure they will post it on Facebook page. I think SkyTrain extension to Rent Car Center will open in late summer or Fall 2022. Right now, they still testing phase. They should be finished by summer 2022. I will keep update it from my friends at PHX airport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest