HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:11 PM

The light rail bridge over the 17 is underway. They have been working on the adjacent elevated platform for a while now, but there are now two huge beams cantilevered over the highway. I would assume that the bridge structure is going to go up quick to avoid too many conflicts with the highway.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I didn't know a study was being done on the possible removal of the reverse lanes on the 7's. The study found the reverse lanes are needed and it looks like improvements are on the horizon including removal of current static signage. I'm hope this means LED signs going up which I think would greatly improve flow and safety, but the article doesn't specifically mention LED signs.

https://ktar.com/story/4830195/study...are-essential/
I live on the 7's and I disagree that they are "needed" that just keeps them as unofficial highways

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 9:00 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
The light rail bridge over the 17 is underway. They have been working on the adjacent elevated platform for a while now, but there are now two huge beams cantilevered over the highway. I would assume that the bridge structure is going to go up quick to avoid too many conflicts with the highway.
I drove by on I-17 on the way home last night. The Southbound side was closed off and the beams were going up. I don't know how far they got. Were both sides worked on or just the Southbound side?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 9:16 PM

Quote:
I drove by on I-17 on the way home last night. The Southbound side was closed off and the beams were going up. I don't know how far they got. Were both sides worked on or just the Southbound side?
Pretty sure it's this weekend the I-17 will be completely closed for them to place girders.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Pretty sure it's this weekend the I-17 will be completely closed for them to place girders.
Yep, 17 is closed in both directions between Northern and Peoria this weekend. I haven't heard of any other upcoming closures planned, so there is a chance that by Monday morning we will have a bridge!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:16 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Phoenix gets grant for stations along 5-mile streetcar route in Mesa

By Anita Roman and Associated Press
Published January 24, 2022 9:12AMUpdated January 27, 2022 7:31AMTransportationAssociated Press

PHOENIX - The Phoenix Public Transit Department has received a $920,000 grant to manage the planning of 11 stations along a 5-mile streetcar route that would connect four activity centers in Mesa.
Full Article: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ph...-route-in-mesa

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Jan 27, 2022 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:44 PM
Skyriser

PBJ is reporting that BNSF is scheduled to buy 3,500 acres at a cost of $49M from the State Land Department for a western US railroad hub and logistics park. The site surrounds 227th Ave and Cloud.

Surprise had planned for residential there, this completely upends that.

Full buildout is expected over a 10-year period.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-surprise.html

This might be pretty big for Downtown and the rest of the Valley if BNSF consolidates its multiple yards there, which won't happen until 2025.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate that. I think it's great news! Hope they extended to Mesa from Tempe. To the Spring Training games or other activity. They will be much easier and they don't have take a car to the stadium anymore. Just leave a car at home.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 11:05 PM

BNSF's proposed Arizona rail intermodal facility would be 'transformative' for area

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
PBJ is reporting that BNSF is scheduled to buy 3,500 acres at a cost of $49M from the State Land Department for a western US railroad hub and logistics park. The site surrounds 227th Ave and Cloud.

Surprise had planned for residential there, this completely upends that.

Full buildout is expected over a 10-year period.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-surprise.html

This might be pretty big for Downtown and the rest of the Valley if BNSF consolidates its multiple yards there, which won't happen until 2025.
I understand why it's great for the area but can you elaborate why this may be a big deal, specifically, for downtown Phoenix? Are you suggesting there may not be a need for the railyards between 7th and 16th Streets (south of Jackson)? Always thought these were UP owned? Don't know much about this topic so any insights are appreciated!

Another PBJ article expanding on this.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-arizona.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 11:12 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I understand why it's great for the area but can you elaborate why this may be a big deal, specifically, for downtown Phoenix? Are you suggesting there may not be a need for the railyards between 7th and 16th Streets (south of Jackson)? Always thought these were UP owned? Don't know much about this topic so any insights are appreciated!

Another PBJ article expanding on this.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-arizona.html
You may be correct on this. I have only seen Union Pacific trains on those lines (riding my bike around the railyards during lunch was a big thing for me last year, lol). I think it would potentially effect the BNSF yards at Grand/McDowell more. I know BNSF can't expand those yards and the road crossings at that intersection are a complete nightmare.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 12:39 AM
Skyriser

BNSF has tracks and yards and random parcels from 7th Avenue west... the yard at 7th St is owned by Union Pacific.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 2:45 AM

All the shipping, warehouses, and logistics will be on the 303 corridor in the near future. I hadn't thought about rail moving our there but it appears that writing is on the wall also.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 3:28 AM
Skyriser

BNSF has been actively courting customers unlike UP. The White Claw/Red Bull/aluminum can plant amongst others is all on a brand new BNSF spur. Compare this with the UP Mesa spur that will never get built without government subsidies.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 8:24 PM

They've been testing the Tempe street cars on the light rail tracks this week:

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 8:37 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

Thanks for sharing. I have yet to see them testing. Can't wait till I get to ride on one of these!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

Hey buddy! Thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to it! Can’t wait to get on it!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 8:38 PM

SR24 full highway route

https://azbex.com/arizona-house-comm...nsion-funding/

A bill sponsored by State Representative David Cook of Globe that will appropriate $15M to fund an extension of SR 24 and develop a connector that extends from SR 24 along the Central Arizona Project canal alignment has won unanimous approval from the House Transportation Committee.

The money, which equals roughly half the estimated project cost, will be taken from the General Fund next year and issued to the Arizona Department of Transportation for distribution to Pinal County. The County will acquire the right of way for the SR 24 extension and develop the connector route. (Source)

I whish they pushed it a little further south and had the junction meet up with the 60/79 intersection but im not a highway planner.

And I hear it already BLAh BLAH SPRAWL BLAH BLAH

Sprawl is here to stay

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 8:50 PM

It was here before any of us were so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 10:19 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

I whish they pushed it a little further south and had the junction meet up with the 60/79 intersection but im not a highway planner.

And I hear it already BLAh BLAH SPRAWL BLAH BLAH

Sprawl is here to stay
The location where routes 60 and 79 meet is Florence Junction, which is little more than a dusty crossroads right now. The planned route looks like it would head through the area known as Superstition Vistas, which is just now beginning to sprout new development after decades of planning. It would end near Gold Canyon, which has been built up a lot in recent years. It's probably the most sensible route based on existing development and new development that's likely to occur in the next decade.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:37 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...streetcar.html

Quote:
Some long-awaited Valley transit projects are nearing fruition, as testing has begun on the Tempe Streetcar passenger service while Valley Metro awaits the delivery of the final car.

“Construction on the streetcar has been finished for a few months,” Scott Smith, CEO of Valley Metro, the region's transit authority, said. “The manufacturer of the cars is based in Pennsylvania, but even with a U.S. supplier, there are still supply chain issues. The pandemic wreaked havoc on the plant and delayed the delivery of the cars.”

The fifth car out of six total was delivered in the past couple of weeks, so only one car remains to be delivered. Smith said Valley Metro is in the process of “burn in” for the cars that have been delivered, running them on the tracks and giving the operators practice. The process goes for about three months and Smith said Valley Metro expects to begin service late this spring.
Quote:
Light rail extension
By the time downtown Phoenix will be hosting Super Bowl festivities this time next year, most of the “rough cut” construction of the downtown light rail hub and portion of the South Central extension in downtown will be completed, Smith said.

The project is about 40% completed now, and once it hits 50%, most of the utility work will be finished, with the next steps being laying down track, which will be less disruptive to the downtown area, Smith said. The South Central extension, which runs south on Central Avenue to Baseline Road, is on schedule to be completed in 2024.

The Northwest extension of the light rail, which will end at the former Metrocenter Mall, is about 34% complete, but Smith said most of the very complex portions of the construction on that section were front-loaded.
Quote:
Valley Metro has several projects in various stages of planning.

The organization is working on preliminary design of an east and west extension that would bring light rail west on Jefferson Street to 19th Avenue, loop around the State Capitol and then head east on Jefferson Street. Smith said a timeline for that extension is likely around 2026. The extension is not necessarily dependent on an extension of Prop 400, but Smith said local funding has not yet been established, though Valley Metro could possibly get a larger share of the project funded by federal money from the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. Grants from the federal government are all competitive and require a local match, Smith said, so identifying local funding sources is key to securing federal money.

A longer-term plan for light rail includes a western extension along Interstate 10, which could possibly lead to Desert Sky Mall. That extension is a much larger scale project than the Capitol extension, but Smith said it could be accelerated by money from the Infrastructure Bill.

The height of the Covid-19 pandemic caused ridership on Valley Metro to drop about 60%, and while it has increased since then, ridership is still down about 45%, Smith said.
The street cars are being tested on the actual street car tracks now, including in traffic, so they seem to be close.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest