HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 12:08 AM

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...ng-tempe-site/

This is the Fountainhead development I posted a page or so back...renderings are on the Tempe DRC site.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUPio View Post
So just in that general vicinity:
-27 story/300ft Skye Tempe at 780 S Myrtle
-24 story/265 ft at 16 E University
Is Shady Park going to be in between these two? That would be fun!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUPio View Post
So just in that general vicinity:
-27 story/300ft Skye Tempe at 780 S Myrtle
-29 story/325 ft at 211 E 7th Street
-24 story/265 ft at 16 E University
-9 story at 7th and College

My goodness that area is exploding. Maybe that presumably dead Mill and 7th project rears it’s head and gets rid of the Jack and the Box LOL. Is there anything in the works along the north aspect of 7th?
Is 211 the parking in between Atmosphere and the bookstore or the bookstore lot itself? Definitely a lot happening in those three blocks between Mill and College, would love to see a midrise/5-8 story project in front of Atmosphere to get ride of the surface parking that's directly on University but it seems like they wouldn't do anything to the Chuckbox.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 9:29 PM

Interesting 360 view here I found on google street view. I pointed it at the two buildings on the SEC of Myrtle & University that ASU is going to demolish for an apparent parking lot or construction staging lot (can't remember). Whether or not they're valuably historic, they're certainly nice buildings to have for the look and feel of the urban environment (plus the old palms and other trees) compared to having them be razed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4220...7i13416!8i6708

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Interesting 360 view here I found on google street view. I pointed it at the two buildings on the SEC of Myrtle & University that ASU is going to demolish for an apparent parking lot or construction staging lot (can't remember). Whether or not they're valuably historic, they're certainly nice buildings to have for the look and feel of the urban environment (plus the old palms and other trees) compared to having them be razed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4220...7i13416!8i6708
This is a fun view from 2013 to see how much the city has changed in 10 years... https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4219...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I have disliked ASU's campus choices for pretty much the last 20 years. They continually tear up nice traditional campus areas and replace them with bland cement filled ulra modern ugly messes. Most recent offense is the new quad in front of old main.

They usually do great on new areas like Biodesign. But on Campus and dormitories they have terrible choices in architecture and feel. Its all soulless

I had a small hope when the Redid an ugly 70's building and objectively made it better but that appears to be a rare glimmer of hope in otherwise terrible decisions at Tempe campus.

The hideous Solar Pannels in the heart of Campus is just unforgivable.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 9:58 PM

/\Yep. The solar panels are terrible - just keep them on buildings or over parking lots. Tearing out the historic palms on palm walk was idiotic too (I don't care if they were allegedly nearing their life's end per a dendrology text book someone found at Hayden Library, just wait until they were literally dead and keep the old stately look and feel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
This is a fun view from 2013 to see how much the city has changed in 10 years... https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4219...7i13312!8i6656
If only street view went as far back as 2003... I'd like to see the streets and campus as it were when I was in my last year at ASU. Dos Gringos would be right up the street! I should have taken my own photo tour of the campus back then. I had just purchased a new digital camera in 2002. I literally remember telling myself I needed to do it for posterity sake back in the day but slacked... and here we are 20 years later when I would want to look back!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:18 PM

Fast-growing developer investing $500M in apartments in Arizona

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...partments.html

Quote:
Wexford Developments and Wexford Real Estate Investors are investing more than $500 million to develop apartment communities in Tempe and Flagstaff over the next five years.

The multinational developer is starting with a seven-story apartment community in downtown Tempe, where 10% of the 200 units will be less expensive than market rate, said Sam Gordon, co-founder and principal of Wexford Developments. Wexford's main offices are in Calgary, Canada, and in West Palm Beach, Florida. It also has an office in New York City.

While the 20 workforce units are not subsidized by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Gordon said he is using a private affordable housing program that will be monitored each year by the city of Tempe.

The low-income housing will require separate qualifications, while the other 180 units will be market rate, Gordon said.

"We are proud to be doing it," he said. "It's what the city really needs. Very few class A residential buildings like this have done affordable housing in that way."

To be built by Adolfson & Peterson Construction, the community will be fully amenitized, including a fitness center, golf simulator, swimming pool and spa, hot tub and coworking lounges.

Gordon hired John Kane, founding partner and design principal with Tempe-based Architekton to design a building that Tempe has never seen before.

"We wanted it to be something really unique that could make this Farmer Arts District an even better place than it is today," Gordon said. "We encouraged [Kane] to use exterior landscaping on the outside of the building and focus on sustainability. He really did a wonderful job bringing our vision to life."

Gordon said he was inspired by Scottsdale-based Optima Inc.'s Camelview Village luxury residential community built in 2010 in Scottsdale, which features a terrace planting system.

"That was one of the buildings that gave us some ideas," Gordon said. "We realized Tempe has nothing like that. There's something refreshing about seeing greenery in a desert environment almost subconsciously. We really wanted to try and create that feeling of that building."

To be called First and Farmer, Wexford's apartment community at 206 S. Farmer Ave. will include a 750-square-foot retail space on the ground floor. Gordon envisions a coffee shop or juice bar in that space.

The project is expected to be completed in the third or fourth quarter of 2024.

Gordon said he has plans to build two more apartment communities in Tempe.

"We're not seeing a whole lot of groundbreakings in Tempe at the moment, and none in the Farmer Arts District that I can think of," he said.

Wexford already owns land near Mill Avenue and University Drive and on Seventh Street east of Mill Avenue, a block north of University.

"They will be much larger projects," Gordon said. "A lot of things have to happen between now and ground break. It's very early on, especially for one of them."

Plans call for a groundbreaking ceremony on March 29 on First & Farmer apartments.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
The comment about groundbreakings on Farmer is weird given that 'Dwell' just down the street also recently broke ground by whatever.

The other properties Wexford owns are the Tempe Towne Center, where 16 E University is proposed, and the old First Congregational Church and associated parking lot on 7th St. I assume the latter is what he refers to as needing a lot to happen before ground breaking, as to my knowledge there is no active proposal there and the church is at least a Tempe-designated historical building.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:57 PM

Can't remember if it's been posted, but South Pier has a website and a nice little interactive map:

https://southpierlive.com/interactive-map/

They also recently submitted obstruction evaluations with the FAA for the first three buildings at 225, 244 and 248'.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Can't remember if it's been posted, but South Pier has a website and a nice little interactive map:

They also recently submitted obstruction evaluations with the FAA for the first three buildings at 225, 244 and 248'.
Has anyone ever confirmed what phase the Ferris Wheel and the new pedestrian bridge are part of?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

Obviously, a long term build out, I would prefer some more offices, if only half of this ever comes to fruition it will be amazing, But between this and Novus it will take 20 years to fill out all that space unless we get an insane boom

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post

Man - all that cacti on the facades...hoping they can make this actually work but right now...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 4:30 PM

What would really be awesome is if that bridge that goes under the 202 connected to a pathway to the greenbelt in Scottsdale to Tempe. Id ride my bike up and down that corridor all day long. Probably something in the works down the line.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 4:54 PM
Skyriser

Huh? Bridge that goes underneath the 202? On the east side of the lake?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
What would really be awesome is if that bridge that goes under the 202 connected to a pathway to the greenbelt in Scottsdale to Tempe. Id ride my bike up and down that corridor all day long. Probably something in the works down the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Huh? Bridge that goes underneath the 202? On the east side of the lake?
Yeah I'm not sure if I quite follow the comment. The path on the north side of the lake already connects to the Indian Bend Wash here-ish. Maybe he meant that unfinished section from where it crosses under the 202 over to McClintock. The planned pedestrian bridge would be a great connector especially for people going east to west.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:23 PM
Modulator

I'm thinking he meant the future pedestrian bridge. It could be extended and linked directly to the Greenbelt multiuse path a by going under the 202 and over the Indian Bend Wash inlet into Tempe Town Lake:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Te...16zL20vMHFwc24

I would like to see something like that done as well. When I ride my bike, I can't stand riding on the South side of Tempe Town Lake anymore due to the amount of pedestrian traffic. I would like to have a direct connection from the Greenbelt path to the Rio Salado path on the East side of the lake and continue over to Mesa instead of having to go around the whole lake and fight through all the foot traffic, scooters, etc..

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I'm thinking he meant the future pedestrian bridge. It could be extended and linked directly to the Greenbelt multiuse path a by going under the 202 and over the Indian Bend Wash inlet into Tempe Town Lake:

I would like to see something like that done as well. When I ride my bike, I can't stand riding on the South side of Tempe Town Lake anymore due to the amount of pedestrian traffic. I would like to a direct connection from the Greenbelt path to the Rio Salado path on the East side of the lake and continue over to Mesa instead of having to go around the whole lake and fight through all the foot traffic, scooters, etc..
That makes sense. And yeah, the bridge would be the missing link because either taking McClintock to Curry on sidewalks or going all the way around the lake to the western bridge aren't great options.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post

I would like to see something like that done as well. When I ride my bike, I can't stand riding on the South side of Tempe Town Lake anymore due to the amount of pedestrian traffic. I would like to have a direct connection from the Greenbelt path to the Rio Salado path on the East side of the lake and continue over to Mesa instead of having to go around the whole lake and fight through all the foot traffic, scooters, etc..
Thanks Crested. Can always count on you to decipher and articulate what I am trying to say.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 4:20 PM

25-story Apartment Tower Planned in Tempe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest