HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
It is a "scattered site" location. These parcels occasionally sell for private development, a lot less red tape to sell. This project is a major upgrade and another missing link filled along Ridge Avenue.
I hope it was a “rent to own to sell” situation. Seems like it’s a great way to build generational wealth within disenfranchised communities.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Images like this continue to sway me towards the "bury all power lines" crowd.
Come to the dark side, my friend.

Seriously, I’ve walked past this intersection and thought about how cool it’d be to have a giant tree in the middle of the traffic circle. But we can’t do it bc of power lines.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 5:32 PM
Chris

A nice article and shows the motivation for leadership change (much more so than I remember in past elections).

Philly’s next mayor should boost city’s recovery, say biz leaders. ‘We need somebody that smiles.’

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20220801.html

Clean and safe streets. More joy. And definitely a new mayor who hasn’t checked out.
That’s what Philadelphia needs to boost its nascent economic recovery, business leaders said last week at a Center City District confab.

Real estate developers, store owners and tenants, civic organizations, and lobbyists traded stories at the Union League of Philadelphia at an event hosted by the CCD and the Central Philadelphia Development Corp. — and rolled their eyes at what they see as a lack of leadership in city government.

Not in the room? Mayor Jim Kenney, who loomed large in his absence.

“We have a rudderless ship,” said James Pearlstein, president of Pearl Properties, a real estate investment and development firm.

“Every store on Walnut Street has a security guard,” he said. “Why? There’s a lot more violent, petty crime that could easily be handled.”

The Center City District, a business leadership and lobbying organization, has upped the number of its safety officers and bicycle patrols to help and is meeting with local police officials as well.

“We need leadership; we need streets to be clean and safe. We need people to want to come visit us,” Paige Jaffe, a real estate broker and managing director of JLL’s retail leasing practice in the Greater Philadelphia region, told the gathering.

“I have two young kids, and my family and I live here in Center City. My children attend public school, and my friends outside the city ask me, ‘How could I do that?’” Jaffe said. “If it’s clean and safe, people feel comfortable coming here and living here.”

The city is feeling the ripple effect of Kenney’s lame-duck administration — Kenney’s term ends in 2024 — and his now-infamous comments after the Ben Franklin Parkway shooting on July Fourth.

“I’m waiting for something bad to happen all the time. I’ll be happy when I’m not here, when I’m not mayor, and I can enjoy some stuff,” Kenney said, which critics deemed as effectively quitting his job early.

Business leaders want the next mayor to leave behind the Philly shrugs and woe-is-me that is Kenney.
“We need somebody that smiles,” Jacob Cooper, real estate agent with MSC, said to nods and laughter in the audience of about a hundred people.

“We have plenty of pride in Philly; we need more joy,” he said. “That will bring outside capital and visitors not from Philadelphia to come and spend money. So I’m looking forward to meeting all the candidates” for mayor.

The businesspeople were looking to embrace a changemaker attitude that would build on encouraging signs in the local economy. Out of 1,856 storefronts in the Center City core district, about 17% are vacant as of June, down from 30% in January 2021, according to Prema Gupta, vice president of the Center City District.

Half of the 174 new storefronts opened since 2020 are restaurants, and 42 more are set to open. The city’s “streeteries” offer 68% more outdoor seats than before the pandemic, even with the return of indoor seating, the latest Center City District data show.

And yet, there’s much to do.
“We still have the largest percentage of poverty among major cities at 24%,” said John Usdan, chief executive of Midwood Investment & Development. “We need a plan to fix that, to invest in social infrastructure.”
Without fixing the homeless problem, education, and the regressive tax system, “you can’t advance,” he said, citing Houston’s decision to move the city’s entire homeless population of 25,000 into newly constructed houses.

One speed bump to a full recovery is office workers; roughly half of those who used to work in Center City haven’t returned. Walnut Street is thriving, fed by foot traffic from the Avenue of the Arts to Rittenhouse, but Market Street, with towers mostly empty, is quiet.

“The biggest impediment to recovery is office inventory,” Usdan said.
Further, many of Philadelphia’s offices are old and costly to convert. Tenants want sustainable buildings — carbon neutral with outdoor space, he said.

Pearlstein said the downtown office market doesn’t look as if it’s set to recover anytime soon, noting that Comcast hasn’t mandated workers come back into the office full time, which is hurting tenants on Market and Arch Streets.
“The office market isn’t great. Rents aren’t going much higher. We’re going to see a building by building conversion” to residential apartments, he predicted.

“Just go to 16th and Market Streets,” Pearlstein said. “That used to be like the 50-yard line at lunchtime. But now Market Street has a long road to recovery.”

The possibility of a new 76ers arena in Center City “could drive midafternoon traffic on East Market Street, which has struggled even with the Fashion District,” Cooper said.

Much like the Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C., a Sixers stadium on Market between 10th and 11th Streets could “create enough gravity to attract restaurants, offices, and residential buildings, which followed the building of the arena. But we still need improved transit,” Usdan said.

That said, employers such as OceanFirst Bank, a publicly traded banking concern, said it’s expanding in its current Two Logan Square location, roughly doubling the space and adding in-person employees, said Susanne Svizeny, a regional president at OceanFirst Bank.

“We needed to hire and continue to grow, and we’re committed to Philadelphia,” she said in an interview Friday. OceanFirst is one of the prime lenders to Walnut Street developers of retail, and she noted that “Philly is much further along in its recovery than cities like Baltimore. Yet, it’s still viewed as a hard place to get things done.”

As for a new mayor, “the one common thing we hear from our borrowers is the gun violence, and security does concern people,” said Brad Fouss, the bank’s market president for Greater Philadelphia. “We’re not the only city where that’s happening, so it’s not unique to Philly. But it’s part of getting it fixed and driving office workers back into the city.”

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 5:44 PM

I just read that article about next mayor- I have a feeling business community will get MUCH more involved in next election- they were on the sidelines prior to Kenney being elected and now they regret their lack of interest.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 9:35 PM

76ers arena might double in size by taking over the Greyhound terminal site:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/si...-20220801.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
76ers arena might double in size by taking over the Greyhound terminal site:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/si...-20220801.html
EDIT: Nevermind. Was griping how much I would hate another building built over the street but sounds like they'd eliminate the street entirely. Not sure I feel great about that either as awful as Filbert can be.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 10:47 PM

Typical Inquirer. Making it sound like the Sixers are asking for even more when it was obvious to anyone who looked at the picture closely the first time that the greyhound station was included. This isn’t new info, they are not “now seeking to double the size of the proposal.” It’s also not “doubling” in size, the greyhound lot is much smaller than the main block it’s on, it probably adds 20% to the site. They were factually incorrect the first time, and are factually incorrect again now.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 4:14 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Typical Inquirer. Making it sound like the Sixers are asking for even more when it was obvious to anyone who looked at the picture closely the first time that the greyhound station was included. This isn’t new info, they are not “now seeking to double the size of the proposal.” It’s also not “doubling” in size, the greyhound lot is much smaller than the main block it’s on, it probably adds 20% to the site. They were factually incorrect the first time, and are factually incorrect again now.
The article has since been updated with corrected site square footage. By my math it's approximately a 50% increase, including Filbert St itself.

Proposed Sixers arena site would expand across Filbert Street | Inquirer
--quote--
The site described in the announcement July 21 would grow from a proposed 118,000 square feet, including the Market Street property, which Fashion District Philadelphia owner Macerich has agreed should be redeveloped for the project, to about 175,000 square feet by adding the street and the bus property.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The article has since been updated with corrected site square footage. By my math it's approximately a 50% increase, including Filbert St itself.
A 50% increase is double if you go by the average American's math education.

But yeah, we were discussing Filbert St. the day this was announced. Maybe it's news that they have it under contract, but this was obviously the plan.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I just read that article about next mayor- I have a feeling business community will get MUCH more involved in next election- they were on the sidelines prior to Kenney being elected and now they regret their lack of interest.
In a poor city (and don't say Philly isn't poor) where the have-nots outnumber the haves, electing pro-business officials is a steep climb. Pro-business messaging just doesn't resonate as much. There is Alan Domb, true, but he just needed to be one of the top 4(?) vote getters to become an at-large; mayor need the majority. If anyone could do it, it just might be Jeff Brown. He's pro-business but, unlike say an investment banker or corporate executive, he's more of a "man of the people" by nature of his grocery business.

Also, the city should move to rank choice, non-partisan voting. Will never happen but makes all the sense in the world.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Images like this continue to sway me towards the "bury all power lines" crowd.
Welcome!

It doesn't have to be ALL power lines. Just when it makes sense (for now).

There are 5 or 6 blocks in Fishtown above York (Olde Richmond?) completely torn up now with huge trenches down the middle of the block. I assume they're replacing the gas and or water lines? Meanwhile, the power lines dangle overhead.

Why can't everything be put underground when this happens? The work is already being done.

Anyways. I was just in Portugal and the Baeleric Islands for 3 weeks. As an alternative (although the power lines in Lisbon are of course underground as they are in any civilized major city), in the outskirts of Lisbon and rural areas, they used these neat sturdy concrete pillars to carry and suspend power lines. It would be hard to describe them, but they weren't as harsh as they sound.

And because they were 100% uniform and not like the wood poles that we use (which can be bent, etc) when the lines were above ground everything looked super neat and tidy. I also imagine the concrete pillars last longer than wood and can withstand impact (i.e. cars) better.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
In a poor city (and don't say Philly isn't poor) where the have-nots outnumber the haves, electing pro-business officials is a steep climb. Pro-business messaging just doesn't resonate as much. There is Alan Domb, true, but he just needed to be one of the top 4(?) vote getters to become an at-large; mayor need the majority. If anyone could do it, it just might be Jeff Brown. He's pro-business but, unlike say an investment banker or corporate executive, he's more of a "man of the people" by nature of his grocery business.
It can be done. People just need to know how to message it (which obviously nobody in current city leadership can).

Unlike in the cycles post-Nutter, there are a number of candidates I could get behind. TBH, we're at the point where nearly anyone (except Cindy Bass) would be better than Kenney.

The only reason why I don't get excited about Brown is because of his anti-soda tax agenda. It's literally the only thing Kenney has done that I like. So many of the cities neighborhood parks and rec centers look a million times better than they did before the tax.

I know Brown would make it an agenda item. And I prefer my local park to a few extra cents when buying sugar water.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 2:14 PM

Quote:

Also, the city should move to rank choice, non-partisan voting. Will never happen but makes all the sense in the world.
I’m pretty satisfied with the current line up of potential candidates with a few exceptions. Domb or a return of Nutter would be great. I’d also be okay with Parker or Green. I really don’t know enough about Ryhnhart or Brown. If Gym wins, please send packing tape.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 5:22 PM

Quote:

I agree 100% and I see no chance of a old school "pro business" candidate getting elected, I am saying I can see them getting more involved in funding and promoting their best options or at least making sure certain topics stay at the forefront of the race. Its really going to be difficult for anyone to win who is only focused on one area of improvement for the City- except maybe crime.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 5:59 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It can be done. People just need to know how to message it (which obviously nobody in current city leadership can).

Unlike in the cycles post-Nutter, there are a number of candidates I could get behind. TBH, we're at the point where nearly anyone (except Cindy Bass) would be better than Kenney.

The only reason why I don't get excited about Brown is because of his anti-soda tax agenda. It's literally the only thing Kenney has done that I like. So many of the cities neighborhood parks and rec centers look a million times better than they did before the tax.

I know Brown would make it an agenda item. And I prefer my local park to a few extra cents when buying sugar water.
Helen Gym?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 6:01 PM
Chris

For the night owls.

What does a 24-hour Philadelphia look like? New nighttime economy director wants to start with 2 a.m. tacos

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

After the sun sinks below the Philadelphia skyline, Raheem Manning envisions a robust nightlife scene, with food trucks awaiting concertgoers or the computer programmer working late into the night. It's part of a mission to increase commerce after dark in each of Philadelphia's neighborhoods, bolstering the overall nighttime economy.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 6:22 PM

Quote:
For the night owls.

What does a 24-hour Philadelphia look like? New nighttime economy director wants to start with 2 a.m. tacos

After the sun sinks below the Philadelphia skyline, Raheem Manning envisions a robust nightlife scene, with food trucks awaiting concertgoers or the computer programmer working late into the night. It's part of a mission to increase commerce after dark in each of Philadelphia's neighborhoods, bolstering the overall nighttime economy.
No reason that either of the subways should have last call at 12 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
For the night owls.

I love this. My biggest complaint since moving to Philly is how difficult it is to get decent food in CC late at night. The city gets very quiet past 10pm. A position dedicated to changing that sounds great.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
For the night owls.

The food truck scene is really lacking as well as night markets as a whole. There are a few here and there but nothing like NYC, LA, SF, etc. Liberalization of food truck permitting as well as designated parking on certain days (weekends) in specific neighborhoods think NoLibs (Girard), Fairmount (Farimount Ave), Fishtown (Front St.), Powelton Village (Spring Garden or Market or Lancaster) Would do wonders for existing retail as well as increase the foot traffic during nighttime and make the neighborhoods feel safer. There is also the added benefit of food trucks being a relatively inexpensive way for small would be restaurant owners to try concepts + build a nestegg before leasing retail space.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
I love this. My biggest complaint since moving to Philly is how difficult it is to get decent food in CC late at night. The city gets very quiet past 10pm. A position dedicated to changing that sounds great.
I feel like this was changing significantly prior to Covid.

If anything, it's gotten much worse lately. Many of my regular corner bars / watering holes are simply closing at 10 or 11 even on the weekends and even if the place is packed. It's quite annoying.

The most notable example to me is Loco Pez in Fishtown. It was almost always open till 1 or so if not later on the weekends and now they roll up the sidewalks and announce last call at 10 on weeknights and 11 (if not earlier on the weekends). I've seen it happen even when every barstool is occupied.

It's just very very odd to me. Like, the owner doesn't want to make money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development