HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 3:28 AM

Well I spent all of last week in Manhattan with my wife and kids and we all had an awesome time. I honestly wished we had more time to explore the other boroughs as one week is not enough to even see all of Manhattan.

We ended up taking the LIRR from JFK to Times Square and that worked out perfectly. I love that the city is so accessible by rail. We walked and used the subways the whole time and we loved it! We were out day and night exploring the city and we never felt unsafe anywhere in the city. I can honestly say that I felt safer than I would walking in downtown LA at night.

The first two days of our visit it was raining non-stop, cold and windy as heck too but it didn't stop us from walking the streets. It was quite an unforgettable experience and my family can't wait to do it again. Next time we will visit the other boroughs as well as Upper Manhattan.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the advice given in this thread. You guys are lucky to live in one of the greatest cities on earth! Can't wait to visit again.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 8:43 AM

Happy to hear you and your family enjoyed.

Did you do any observation decks? Did you make it to DUMBO area of Brooklyn at least?

The outer boroughs are definitely dazzling, themselves, in their own right.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:18 PM

It's kind of hard to answer as everyone's threshold of safety varies and nobody knows OP's. NYC is very statistically safe. And the "unsafe" parts of all 3 cities don't have much that is likely to attract tourists - you would have to go out of your way to end up there. But, if you're the type of person who feels unsafe at the mere sight of a homeless person, then NYC won't feel that safe.

This forum is full of people who choose to live in NYC or enjoy visiting it, so nobody's going to respond "it's dangerous, rent an armored car or don't visit". You kind of have to make your question more specific if you want useful advice about safety, otherwise it falls to the usual basic streets smarts you'd apply in any city.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinSoCal View Post
Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the advice given in this thread. You guys are lucky to live in one of the greatest cities on earth! Can't wait to visit again.
Glad you had a good time. Take some time to visit Brooklyn next time you're here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:16 PM
Great White Norf

JR, that's great to hear!
Never let the media, especially right wing media narrative scare you from visiting a place.

Particularly when locals say "What kind of nonsense is this? Our "scary times" were decades past"

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Happy to hear you and your family enjoyed.

Did you do any observation decks? Did you make it to DUMBO area of Brooklyn at least?

The outer boroughs are definitely dazzling, themselves, in their own right.
Sadly we did not make it to Brooklyn, but we will when we visit again next year. I did check out the observation decks at One Vanderbilt, Rockefeller which were breathtaking. We went up the Empire State bldg but there was no view sadly, just fog lol.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:39 AM
Great White Norf

What were your fav things?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
What were your fav things?
I really enjoyed hanging around Little Italy, Chinatown, and SoHo for their great culture and amazing restaurants.

Central Park was peaceful and romantic.

Hudson Yards was cool. I felt like I time traveled to 2050. Mercado Little Spain was a cooll little spot for drinks and tapas.

9/11 museum took me back to a very sad day in the history of our country but one that cannot be forgotten.

The Circle Line landmark cruise of the Hudson and East Rivers was fantastic.

Times Square is cool but the smell of weed everywhere started making me sick. I love the energy and all the lights but I can see why the locals avoid it. NYC is so much more.

Loved the New York Public Library and relaxing at Bryant Park.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:07 AM
Great White Norf

Sounds like you had an action packed trip

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

thanks for reporting back.

it reminds me that i used to be an o.g. chowhound regular back in the days and we all always grumbled and got bummed when people would not report back after restaurant and food recs.

anyhoo, sounds good considering the weather.

you did the right things with the fam in tow.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions