HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 3:38 AM

What was your experience moving to the Minneapolis?

I moved to Minneapolis about a year ago. Since coming here I've talked to other people who have moved here from somewhere else so I was wondering what everyone else's experience was with moving here. Here's the questions,

1.Did you move from another city or a small town? You don't have to say where.

2. What reasons did you move for? ( Work,Family, college,change of scenery)

3.How long ago did you move?

4.Did you feel culture shock or right at home upon arrival?

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 2:59 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1 View Post
I moved to Minneapolis about a year ago. Since coming here I've talked to other people who have moved here from somewhere else so I was wondering what everyone else's experience was with moving here. Here's the questions,

1.Did you move from another city or a small town? You don't have to say where.

2. What reasons did you move for? ( Work,Family, college,change of scenery)

3.How long ago did you move?

4.Did you feel culture shock or right at home upon arrival?
I no longer live in the Twin Cities, but I moved there in 1996 for my first job after college. I went to college in a small town in Indiana and grew up in a tiny town in Oregon, but had lived for part of 1995 and 1996 in Chicago.

I found it very difficult to make friends in Minneapolis - nearly all of my friends were other transplants. Contrast that to Chicago, where I had friends who were locals and ones who were transplants.

The winters were beautiful visually, but really harsh, harsher than Chicago or Indiana and far harsher than Oregon.

Between the winters and the difficulty getting to know people, I transferred back to Chicago after 2.5 years and never looked back. I still tell people that those winters in Minneapolis inoculated me against Chicago winters, but that really the only time I even think of Minneapolis. I think if you grow up there it seems nice enough, but moving there was a lonely, difficult time that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
[/SIZE]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest