District: West Philadelphia
Floors: 16 Floors
Height: 215 FT

http://www.rising.realestate/wp-cont...Rendering.jpeg

http://www.rising.realestate/wp-cont...ndering-1.jpeg

http://www.rising.realestate/wp-cont...ndering-2.jpeg

Proposal for 400-Unit Conversion of International House in West Philly

Quote:
More than a year ago, we let you know that the International House at 3701 Chestnut St. in University City was up for sale. The 14-story Brutalist building, constructed between 1968 and 1970, was most recently used as a dorm for international students, some UPenn offices, and the Lightbox Film Center.

We hadn’t heard much about the property over the last year until a few days ago. CSC Co-Living, a co-living company out of New York City, has secured a $33 million loan for the acquisition and rehabilitation of the International House. CSC Co-Living plans on converting the building into 400 residential units plus commercial space.

Project renderings show a modern tower addition on the northern, Ludlow St. side of the property. Renderings show a grocery store built on the southern, Chestnut St. side of the property where there is currently a plaza. This addition will make the building meet the street better than the currently set back structure.. It seems like the project team tried to blend the design of the grocery store addition with the existing building.
Read more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/proposa...n-west-philly/

Last edited by summersm343; Nov 17, 2020 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:26 PM

I'm glad the International House is staying and being renovated and upgraded! I love the building and glad it isn't being torn down and replaced. I wonder what will happen to the building's large atrium / interior or if it will be greatly changed.

Even though I like the brutalist courtyard on the south side of the building, I think the change is good in that it brings the building to the curb. A grocery store is also great here, with all the new residential construction in the nearby area. There was always a need for grocery stores in this area, and even with the heirloom market up the street, I think there is still more demand.

The Innovation Plaza walkway to the east of the building is a really nice public space in this part of University City - and i think it is great that this construction will complement it better.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:46 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

This is some pretty nice infill for a stretch of Chestnut that doesn't always feel urbane. I think I would have preferred the vertical annex be on the complex's Chestnut Street rather than Ludlow Street side, but having a large grocery store facing Chestnut and activating the street also works well. Incidentally, who do we think's going to go there? The Fresh Grocer got kicked out of 40th and Walnut in favor of an Acme earlier this year, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they're looking for space in the area.

Now, if we could see the Lutheran church on the other side of Innovation Walk get redeveloped...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:07 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Did you guys see what Alterra wants to do with the International House? They want to put a 215 foot building behind it, and add a building to the front to come to the sidewalk. Hoping they don't touch that brutalist facade too much though.

See more here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHoQBMdjN81/
At a meeting just concluded, the Architectural Committee of the PHC unanimously recommended denial of the 'Review in Concept' application as submitted. It will next be considered by the Historical Commission itself. There is also a pending nomination of International House to the Phila. Register of Historic Places.

The pdf linked here includes both the Review in Concept application submission and the nomination: https://www.phila.gov/media/20201110...St-app-nom.pdf

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:47 PM

Height increased from 14 floors and 187 feet, to 16 floors and 215 feet. Also, two potential new designs

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/proposa...yxG1ExfQcECAjY
https://www.facebook.com/risingrealestate

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:50 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
The renderings and designs look like crap. Do over seriously needed.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:21 PM

You all know how much I hate this building.

I will hate it even more if either of those renderings are built. Disgusting.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:30 PM
Midrise

At their meeting this morning, the Architectural Committee of the PHC unanimously recommended denial of the 'Review in Concept' application as submitted. It will next be considered by the Historical Commission itself. There is also a pending nomination of International House to the Phila. Register of Historic Places.

The pdf linked here includes both the Review in Concept application submission and the nomination: https://www.phila.gov/media/20201110...St-app-nom.pdf

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:23 AM

^^^^This is good news. I have no problem with having the new tower in the rear as tall as they want to build, and anything other then a all glass and/or one with cheap metal painted panels, is ok with me.

But I'm against the addition along Chestnut St. Not a fan of the concrete wall that's there now, but I'm pretty sure that was added in the late '70's, early 80's. The face of Int. House is one of it's important 'historic' features, and this, or probably any addition, would be a huge insult to the total look and feel of the building. If more retail is needed, it can be included in the next tower to go up at 38th and Chestnut.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:59 PM

^^Agree - I think there may be room to do some sort of addition on the front of the building but not to the corners of the lot. Some of the courtyard space should be maintained. Whether that is a shallower addition that keeps with the stair-stepped mass of the building or, perhaps, only on the west side of the lot... for example.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

You hate the International House? It's one of the most interesting buildings in the city in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 7:37 AM

Quote:

Disgusting? To evoke that much emotion is a bit much!
I don't think the brutalist design is meant to be "liked." Not meant to win any beauty contest. I think the brutalist design is meant to be imposing. To impressed upon those who encounter it. To give the feeling of solidity, safety, the feeling of security. This is why I think many government building are built in the brutalist style. Take the Police Roundhouse for example, it demands respect. This building is a similar example of a eastern bloc Soviet era style architecture. I can imagine a Lenin statue right now out front with the huddled masses scurrying about. I'm impressed by the image of strength it presents.

In a bad hurricane with 120 mile winds, which building would you want to be in?.....A McMansion or the International House? Would love to see the molded concrete cleaned up and a tower to compliment it's style. This would add a nice variety for the architectural visuals.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 4:26 PM

To be clear, my feelings towards the International House are strictly personal opinion, and I can respect that others can like it. I can even begrudgingly admit that it’s certainly unique.

What I wouldn’t understand is anyone who thinks the building would be improved by either of those additions proposed. Both of them are hideous.

Last edited by mcgrath618; Nov 30, 2020 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:28 AM
PHL

Very forgettable, but I like to see development, even if it isn't exactly what I'd want to do to the space. I will gladly forget this ever existed and I wish them the best of luck.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 4:40 PM

Looks Like Target is Coming to International House at 37th & Chestnut

Current site:

Planned tower addition on the Ludlow Street side of the building:

Planned retail addition on the Chestnut Street side:

Quote:
International House at 3701 Chestnut St. in West Philly most certainly fits this description. This 14-story building was completed in the early 1970s and has served as student housing since then. A couple years ago, CSC (a co-living company) teamed up with local developers Alterra to propose a major addition consisting of a residential tower and a retail podium facing Chestnut, per a submission to the Historical Commission.

For fellow Brutalism fans or folks who are fond of historic preservation in general, fear not. We are happy to report that current plans are focused on the opposite side of the building, so no residential addition will be added like what you see above, at least not now. On the Chestnut-facing side, there are plans for a commercial addition.

ALMA architecture has designed a two-story addition for the western side of the lot, with a refurbishment of the eastern end which abuts the pedestrian-only 37th Street Walk. While the renderings only say RETAIL, it seems pretty apparent that a Target is slated for the site given, oh, just about every single design feature possible.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-37th-chestnut

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 6:22 PM

Looks like the addition is out of the cards for now (which I am ok with).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:11 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Looks like the addition is out of the cards for now (which I am ok with).
I don't think it's out-- I think it might be taking a different form.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:22 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
hopefully a way better design and cladding choice. The current rendering looks so sophomore and belongs in Minecraft.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 1:27 AM

Looks like it will be the largest Target in the city if they move forward. Any clues to the square footage?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 5:07 AM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
Looks like it will be the largest Target in the city if they move forward. Any clues to the square footage?
18,750 according to the recent docs. not sure how this compares to other stores in the city

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals