HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:53 PM

Hard to believe this lot was almost paved over for a Blue Cross parking not too long ago (actually, not hard to believe). I can't wait to see what Ashford has planned south of Main St. These projects should help expedite the new east/west street and refurbishment of Lutz and Robinson, transforming this "dead zone" of a downtown.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:06 PM

One thing to remember is those parking spots for "visitors" are not actually aimed at people visiting residents as they are at visitors to the businesses that will comprise at the very least the bottom floor, and by the looks of it possibly the bottom three floors.
No one will disagree, I'm sure, that any business with no on site parking or parking very close by is doomed to failure in Moncton.
Stop 10 people in downtown Moncton and ask them if they shop at, oh I dunno, Gifts Galore. 9.9 out of 10 of them if not more will swear to you that there is no parking so they won't shop there. Just in case you are one of those 9.9 people, Gifts Galore is bordered on two sides with ample parking, with more across the street and throughout the downtown. But for some it's invisible, they'll swear Champlain PLace has parking at the door and then park in the far corner and walk a block to reach the entrance - with great pleasure!
PS I'm totally down with having this beast moved right up to the sidewalk. But if you think anyone's going to park a block or more away for their $100 hair styling, for a super nice patio supper, or to pick up a new high-end work suit, you are only fooling yourselves.
There are ways to achieve both of these ideals. We will see if the committee compels them to do it or not.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very true.

Moncton is not NYC (not yet anyway), and remains a typical car centric and car dependent community for the majority of the population. I am not arguing that this is preferable, just acknowledging that this is a fact of life.

The amount of surface parking included in this development is actually very modest. I wonder if any of the underground parking will be available to non residents too?

If you look at the SW corner of "phase three", there appears to be a circular patio on the edge of the building. I wonder if this is planned to be outdoor seating for a restaurant?

Also, if you count all the exterior entrances lining all three phases of this development, you come up with a total of 35. Now, I doubt all of these are intended for CRUs, but still, there could be a significant commercial or retail component to this development demanding on site parking.........

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Also, if you count all the exterior entrances lining all three phases of this development, you come up with a total of 35. Now, I doubt all of these are intended for CRUs, but still, there could be a significant commercial or retail component to this development demanding on site parking.........
I agree that onsite parking is needed, it just needs to be underground. One of the requested variances is to place parking between the facade and street. I hope the city does not grant them this as it can be easily rectified given the size of this lot. If the phase 3 tower is moved towards Assumption Blvd., then there is plenty of space for the phase 2 tower to be positioned between the other two, all fronting Foundry street.

Overall, I'm really glad this is proposed, it just needs a few tweaks to make it great.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I believe we call it Tower in a Park development, and this is one of those. These developments look like they've been designed for a suburban avenue and less so for a city's urban core. Little to no street interaction, a podium that snakes around for some reason, and three matching heights making it look and feel even more blocky and chubby than it needs to be. Shrink the floorplates and make them 20s/15s/10s and it would be a bit more tolerable, but they're still missing street interaction and a general urban feel. Just a bigger version of the predominant five floor apartment buildings that dot Mountain Road. The only streetfront that looks good is Record, but it's entirely absent on Assomption. And why is there surface parking? Sorry, Moncton.

At least there'll be more people living downtown. That's the only upside on this.

I wish this forum offered a like button because I would LOVE this post. I fully agree JHikka!’

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:12 PM

I noticed that there are going to be approximately 450 units in the development! When this is completed that's going to add a heck of a lot more people downtown. Couple that with Tannery place, the 2 Ashford buildings, and the Weldon Street buildings, and within the next few years that'll add a significant amount of people/potential new customers in the core.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:13 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Pros:
- more density downtown
- investment in a neglected end of the city
- nice to see the height.

Cons:
- three identical buildings is going to look really weird in the skyline, especially given their proximity to the river.
- suburban frontage on Foundry is a shame

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:28 PM

Wow! Not sure if I ever read so much negativity on a project before. This section of town has been a dead hole for about 20 years. And to be real, even if this project gets completed and nothing else in the immediate area gets developed, this particular section of downtown still needs more help.

If I had 10 thumbs on my fingers, I would give this a 10 thumbs up!

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:57 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Wow! Not sure if I ever read so much negativity on a project before. This section of town has been a dead hole for about 20 years. And to be real, even if this project gets completed and nothing else in the immediate area gets developed, this particular section of downtown still needs more help.

Thank You! A big thanks to Lafford properties too for investing in our city and downtown!

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:

I agree, I think we should all be happy, that this is being put in front of the city. Obviously though I think it’s okay for questions as well, everyone has different likes and dislikes, wants etc..

In the end there will be public meetings held and people can voice their opinions there. We also should understand that this is a phased project, it’s not all being built at once, things could change between phase one, two and three. Let’s just be happy that finally the city is seeing some big projects announced. It’s been a long time coming!

I also forgot to mention this isn’t being done by Moncton architects either, it’s done by a company out of Halifax, so this should be different than our typical Spitfire designs look we have been seeing.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wonder if there are any colourized renderings out there, especially ones that show how this project will look from different perspectives with real world surroundings? This could really assist in helping people to visualize the impact of this development on the downtown core.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 12, 2021 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 12:26 AM

3 building proposal - these are the types of buildings I hope will gradually overtake all the parking lots downtown and move Moncton into the big leagues

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 12:30 AM

Any idea how many units? Imagine on a nice summer night, just 1/5 of the people living in there flooding downtown streets, pubs, restaurants....Games changer for that area!

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Any idea how many units? Imagine on a nice summer night, just 1/5 of the people living in there flooding downtown streets, pubs, restaurants....Games changer for that area!
450 units.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 12:59 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I also forgot to mention this isn’t being done by Moncton architects either, it’s done by a company out of Halifax, so this should be different than our typical Spitfire designs look we have been seeing.
I am often in Halifax a few dozen times a year and it really does look a lot like the Halifax buildings.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder if there are any colourized renderings out there, especially ones that show how this project will look from different perspectives with real world surroundings? This could really assist in helping people to visualize the impact of this development on the downtown core.
Here, print this and I'll send you a box of crayons.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
450 units.
Even if there is only 2-3 people per unit that’s 1000 more people living in downtown. This is the kind of project that builds momentum for a city! Combined this with the St. Bernard’s project and the completion of Junction Urban Village as well as many of the future Ashford projects and there is a very bright future for downtown. Also with the increased height on the last few projects, I’m optimistic that future parking lot infill buildings will be 10+ stories.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 3:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Here, print this and I'll send you a box of crayons.

Yeah, that'd work.

Here's a challenge for you - superimpose that render on top of that picture I took of the site from the plaza in front of the Avenir Centre. It would give a tremendous perspective on the upcoming changes to the Moncton skyline. The massing and location of the three towers is actually pretty close to what I imagined in my line drawing.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 3:23 AM

I know that Frederick Properties intends to start the St. Bernard's project before the end of the year. The City will be upgrading the water/sewer services on Wesley & Victoria from Aug. to Oct. Valdo Grandmaison stated that he anticipates starting the project in Sept. or October.

I said all that to ask if there is any possible way that the Lafford project could also commence before the end of this year? Would underground services in this area also have to be upgraded first?

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I know that Frederick Properties intends to start the St. Bernard's project before the end of the year. The City will be upgrading the water/sewer services on Wesley & Victoria from Aug. to Oct. Valdo Grandmaison stated that he anticipates starting the project in Sept. or October.

I said all that to ask if there is any possible way that the Lafford project could also commence before the end of this year? Would underground services in this area also have to be upgraded first?
I actually think Foundry was redone not the long ago, so I may not need to be done. Though I could be wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces