HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:10 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:37 PM

I also find it a little odd that nothing has happened with the exterior. Working on the interior doesn't stop them from working on the exterior - not the same trades for the most part.

Also, in the Baydo Towers thread, there's been speculation that that project is waiting for the tower crane to be available to move there from this job. But I see nothing on the Broadway project that would require a tower crane at this point.

The Baydo projects certainly aren't boring. At least they give us something to speculate about.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 4:47 PM

Drove through Broadway for the first time this year and it is packed! Not many vacancies. It’s really nice to see all of the action happening there - there definitely has to be something happening with Urban Capital’s project based on the demand for more retail and condos - even for office space around Broadway. Broadway sure is more bustling than downtown over this past weekend.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Really? Nothing has changed with the exterior, with all this good weather, in more than two weeks? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but Is there any verification? Anyone?

Because if this is true, and their downtown project has also stalled, um, well, I'm not there, but it doesn't look good overall. There must be some liaison, a city clerk, to check some boxes, no?
I was there last night. The exterior hasn't changed (although the ground-floor hoarding along Broadway is back???).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 8:52 PM

they dug a big hole today, put a hose in there and then filled the hole up with the hose still pumping water i think. Kind of like they’re sinking the concrete.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
they dug a big hole today, put a hose in there and then filled the hole up with the hose still pumping water i think. Kind of like they’re sinking the concrete.
On Broadway? Or on their Tower job by you?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
On Broadway? Or on their Tower job by you?
oops. the Baydo Towers lol

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:20 PM

Coming along!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 10:28 PM

I actually like that. Not groundbreaking but not puke ugly either.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
I actually like that. Not groundbreaking but not puke ugly either.
It definitely fits the current mediocre style of Broadway. No offence to Broadway but it’s not like there are any extremely high end modern builds there.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:00 PM

Agree with the above comments. It's not going to win any awards for its stunning architecture, but I don't find it hideous, either. I believe it's a very worthwhile addition to Broadway.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 10:50 PM

Crane went down today! Off to City Park

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 2:52 PM

The podium on this thing ugly, overwhelming, and overall a complete disaster. It's sad to see folks even calling it acceptable.

Saskatoon should be better than this. Especially on a highly visible street like Broadway.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
The podium on this thing ugly, overwhelming, and overall a complete disaster. It's sad to see folks even calling it acceptable.

Saskatoon should be better than this. Especially on a highly visible street like Broadway.
This is what I've been saying. Pretty much anything Baydo does is an eyesore. Canadian cities deserve a lot better.. just my opinion.. I know people will discuss the economics of it, but still.. nobody wants a city to be adorned with new ugly, especially when there is a lot of inventory of old ugly already in most Canadian cities. I see the benefit of increased density in downtown cores.. but people with eyes have to look at that.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
This is what I've been saying. Pretty much anything Baydo does is an eyesore. Canadian cities deserve a lot better.. just my opinion.. I know people will discuss the economics of it, but still.. nobody wants a city to be adorned with new ugly, especially when there is a lot of inventory of old ugly already in most Canadian cities. I see the benefit of increased density in downtown cores.. but people with eyes have to look at that.
At least 905er acknowledges that it's only their opinion. My opinion is that Sturdy Stone Centre is terrible design and a complete waste of tyndalstone but many people love it. Baydo's Broadway project is at least acceptable in my eyes.

We know what opinions are like, and everybody has one...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 5:56 PM

In my opinion, the tower portion is whatever. It's acceptable and I will readily give it a pass.

I do completely agree with King Ralph that the podium is really quite awful (but we don't have to denigrate others in stating it).

I also want to be clear that while I am critical of aspects of the design (mostly the podium), on the whole I'm glad it was built - for the investment, the additional residents/density, and another step down the path of infill that many of us here want to see progress on. In stating this it does not contradict my general hope for better design quality in the city and a feeling that we can and should expect better on our most prominent streets and corners.

But an "I have some issues with the design" opinion is not necessarily in the same camp as "I loathe this and wish it was never built!" Some people seem to think it is.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 8:36 PM

In my opinion most developments in Saskatoon are pretty freakin ugly - even River Landing in the grand scheme of things.

Does it offer the same quality or better than what’s existing/what it replaced in the neighborhood? Heck Yes. It replaces a freaking gravel surface lot!

As long as it’s the same quality or better than the neighborhood we’re good to go haha. Most of Saskatoon is bottom of the barrel quality - my condo downtown is a disgusting mess covered in anti pigeon goo all over the windows that recently had the highest amount of fire safety related infractions in the entire province, but I love it, and hope some more ugly builds get built around me.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 11:35 PM

They've just added signage for "Lingard & Dreger". Looks like a local accounting firm.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 1:32 AM

Walked by this project for the first time this summer today - it definitely looks a lot snazzier than Meridian’s old Luxe development - it might be the nicest building on Broadway? Not sure what the fuss is about now that the stone facia and what not is almost up. Seems to be bringing a lot more much needed retail space to downtown as well in a very dense way. Go Baydo!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 1:04 PM

I still think this project is aggressively mediocre, although I do think it looks a little better in person than in photos (and better from a distance rather than up close lol). Aesthetically, I think those strips of brown really save it. That's not a very flattering thing to say, but this isn't a very flattering project.

I don't think this project deserves the attention it's received though, good or bad. In another city, this would just be a random piece of slightly-annoying but mostly forgettable background noise --- a sign that Broadway's growing up, but not really worth much attention or verbiage. I wish there were more happening in this city to steal some of this blob's thunder!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan