HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The existing ones were done to ASTM F2656 standards that are used for embassies and military bases to try and prevent drive in bombers.
Crazy. Winnipeg can have them as a tourist attraction lol. As we do have alot of terrorist attacks here...

Guess the police thought they were the FBI or CIA or Interpol. Does the RCMP building even have this high of a standard? Seems like more wasted money. I honestly hate to think what each one actually costs with that much going into them.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Crazy. Winnipeg can have them as a tourist attraction lol. As we do have alot of terrorist attacks here...

Guess the police thought they were the FBI or CIA or Interpol. Does the RCMP building even have this high of a standard? Seems like more wasted money. I honestly hate to think what each one actually costs with that much going into them.
Eh. To me this falls in the "plunger" category. Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post

The requirement for the increased protection is because the New PSB is considered a Public Safety Answering Point (aka 911 center) and is required by legislation to ensure unauthorized access to the building or disruption of emergency services be minimized or eliminated.

I am going to guess that the backup Winnipeg 911 site in West Winnipeg and the Provincial 911 site in Brandon are grandfathered but would be required to upgrade to a higher security model if they move or the building they are currently in undergo substantial renovations.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The bollards are surprisingly a lot bigger project than they seem. Maybe it is just me not knowing what was involved but they seemed to dig 6-10 feet below street level and then build a giant steel grid connecting the up all the steel tubes that make the bollards. The inside on the bollard columns was then filed with concrete and if I remember correctly the steel grid was also incased in concrete before it was covered over.
Those are proper bollards to actually stop a vehicle. Reinforced concrete.

Rule of thumb for structural things, such as sheet pile walls and I guess bollards. Is 2/3 below grade, 1/3 above grade. This is a vertical cantilever. Where if something hits the top 1/3, the bottom 2/3 are held in place by the earth.

Bollards that are at McDonalds or at large overhead doors, are mostly above ground and just there to prevent you from hitting the corner of the building.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 1:46 AM

Sounds like the bollards had a potential test on New Years eve.

From the Jan 1/22 Police news release page

Impaired Driving/Mischief – Arrest: C21-302522

On December 31, 2021, at approximately 8:45 p.m., Winnipeg Police Service Headquarters security staff observed a sedan driving erratically near the HQ building.

A vehicle had driven through the transit corridor on Graham Avenue and then onto the sidewalk near the front vestibule on the northwest corner. The male driver drove dangerously around the building – ramming two overhead police garage doors and hitting a Winnipeg Transit bus twice. The male then exited the vehicle while still moving and was taken into custody by responding officers.

A 41-year-old male of Winnipeg is facing charges of:

- Dangerous Operation of a Conveyance
- Operation of a Conveyance While Impaired to Any Degree by BAC or Drug or a Combination of Both
- Fail or Refuse to Comply with Demand (x2)
- Mischief Over $5,000
- Mischief Under $5,000/Obstruct in Enjoyment (x2)

He was released on an Appearance Notice (as mandated by the Criminal Code).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:06 PM

https://twitter.com/rk_thorpe/status...58037565292549

Twitter thread from Ryan Thorpe on the City looking for input on the police budget.

Link to the City website:
https://engage.winnipeg.ca/police-fu..._tool#tool_tab

All of the 5 proposals pretty much maintain status quo. The only one that slightly reduces the budget by $6m per year, limits the police budget to 25% of operating budget. Which is still too high. It's basically status quo.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:09 PM

Also policve3 state of Emergency due to COVID.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8490194/w...e-to-covid-19/

As I mentioned in the other thread. It was posted that they don't have mandatory mask policy. Maybe someone with more info could confirm that.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Also policve3 state of Emergency due to COVID.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8490194/w...e-to-covid-19/

As I mentioned in the other thread. It was posted that they don't have mandatory mask policy. Maybe someone with more info could confirm that.
I know one of the Deputy Chiefs - was told they have very low numbers of members who had an issue with the vaccination requirement. IIRC only one guy walked away over it.

There's a lot of people who bark about the mandate but when push comes to shove and they're told get it or find another job, they get the jab.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 9:45 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Thanks Bomberjet - I just filled out the survey.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 7:11 PM

I tore them a new ass. Hopefully we will see actual results and comments in their summary of Public engagement.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 12:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I tore them a new ass. Hopefully we will see actual results and comments in their summary of Public engagement.
Did the survey, didn't see the part about eliminating pensionable OT!

Seriously both the WPS and WFPS members are grossly overpaid on average, when these folks with minimal education are making more than engineers, teachers, nurses, and other professionals with real degrees....

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 2:44 AM

I mentioned pensionable overtime and all that in my write-up.

Policing isn't actually that dangerous compared to other industries.

Proposed an Option 6 - reduce the budget to what is acceptable per industry standards. Ie: no tie to property taxes or any other metric, which is ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 5:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I mentioned pensionable overtime and all that in my write-up.

Policing isn't actually that dangerous compared to other industries.

Proposed an Option 6 - reduce the budget to what is acceptable per industry standards. Ie: no tie to property taxes or any other metric, which is ridiculous.
Being a bus driver is a lot more risky than being a cop in Winnipeg!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 3:45 PM

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 4:14 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Should probably be in the Winnipeg Construction or St Boniface threads.

Great project/parking lot filler.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Being a bus driver is a lot more risky than being a cop in Winnipeg!
Truth. Most of the cops I know have a lot of respect for us and could never do the job.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 7:42 PM

The bollards for the west side were in today's Smith St job. Maple Leaf is low bidder.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 5:40 AM
BANNED

Wow, so dirty Phil Sheegl and slippery lying Sammy did a real number on city taxpayers with the WPS headquarters deal….big surprise to no one except the clueless Winnipeg city council who all sat like dummies as those two robbed the city blind!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wow, so dirty Phil Sheegl and slippery lying Sammy did a real number on city taxpayers with the WPS headquarters deal….big surprise to no one except the clueless Winnipeg city council who all sat like dummies as those two robbed the city blind!
For those wondering what this is referring to:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...deal-1.6386261

Also, the letter that Brian Kelcey wrote to council back in 2012 had some "holy crap" moments for me and I thought I was reasonably familiar with the topic.
https://twitter.com/stateofthecity/s...dCQEBOcHOz7MDg
You can download the letter from the quoted tweet.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 2:02 PM

The whole thing is such a mess. The RCMP didn't file any criminal charges. So the City sued Sheegl and this comes out of it.

I would believe the RCMP had all of this information in their investigation. My non law trained brained just can not parse out how one side can file no charges, but then the other can side with the City. If the guy is guilty, he's guilty. What about suing former Caspian now, or Katz?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan