HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 10:48 AM

PAL has signed an interline agreement with Air Canada:

https://twitter.com/PALairlines/stat...95891997757443

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:40 PM

Well that explains everything for Bathurst, not going to be a direct competitor with your new allie I guess!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Well that explains everything for Bathurst, not going to be a direct competitor with your new allie I guess!
Probably a good news story for longevity of the service. We'll see exactly what level of partnership is implied in the agreement but at least it will help funnel passengers to local routes.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 1:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidshader View Post
Probably a good news story for longevity of the service. We'll see exactly what level of partnership is implied in the agreement but at least it will help funnel passengers to local routes.
Now that PAL is instituting a puddle jumper from YQM (and the other NB airports) to YHZ, and that there is this new interline agreement between PAL and Air Canada, I wonder if we will see the return of the Air Canada services between the other Maritime cities and Halifax?

PAL is stepping into the breech, but not forcefully. I believe their plan is only for a single daily flight six days per week between YQM and YHZ. Before the pandemic, I believe that Air Canada had three flights daily (to support connections at YHZ).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Now that PAL is instituting a puddle jumper from YQM (and the other NB airports) to YHZ, and that there is this new interline agreement between PAL and Air Canada, I wonder if we will see the return of the Air Canada services between the other Maritime cities and Halifax?
I wouldn't expect Air Canada proper to do that any time soon. AC is no longer affiliated with EVAS (which ran the local flights using the Beechcraft 1900 on those routes. Jazz only runs Q400s, CRJs, and E75 jets right now I think.

So right now, I think the smallest plane in the AC fleet is the Dash8-300, which seat 50 people. Unlikely for AC to use a plane like that on a YHZ-YQM/YFC/YSJ route for anything other than a milk run to YUL or YOW.

Likely PAL is the local carrier for now. If it goes well, maybe the partnership with AC will be expanded.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 2:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting.

If PAL intends to be a feeder for Air Canada here in the east, then they are going to have to do better than a single flight six times per week. Something closer to what existed previously (3x daily) would be more appropriate.

Otherwise, you will just see a consolidation of what was tending to happen before, which was passengers flying out of Moncton to either Montreal or Toronto to make connections (more options, no backtracking).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:

Interesting.
Indeed it's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Technically the agreement that AC has with Jazz right now requires Jazz to be the only regional carrier for the 70+ seat market but is silent on the smaller planes. It's possible I suppose a new agreement could be signed with EVAS to restart routes with the 1900D but I highly doubt that will happen, as I believe AC was keen to not have themselves affiliated with those planes any longer pre-COVID.

To run dedicated intra-maritimes routes multiple times per day you probably need a plane in the same class as that B1900D, which means ~20 seats. In terms of modern planes, I think Textron has the Cessna Skycourier that will carry up to 19 passengers, but that's probably $6mln USD per plane. There might be others out there as well that I'm not familiar with, but my point is that probably PAL is what we will have for the time being. I think they have some Beech 1900Ds in their fleet too, so it's possible that as demand comes back they could add routes/frequencies with those planes.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:07 PM

Kalitta Air came in from the north yesterday for their weekly lobster pickup.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Reposted from the SSP Canada section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenYOW View Post
The Porter Airlines Embraer E195-E2 rumours have been confirmed:
  • Up to 80 new E195-E2 aircraft
  • Routes from Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax, and Toronto Pearson
  • Aircraft deliveries beginning in mid-2022

Twitter

Quote:
BIG NEWS: Porter is extending its award-winning service to destinations throughout North America with the introduction of up to 80 state-of-the-art, fuel-efficient
@embraer
E195-E2 aircraft into its fleet!
Porter Airlines Website

Quote:
Fly with us throughout North America in our new planes
The Porter flying refined service that you already love is extending - to dozens of popular destinations throughout North America. We’re excited that up to 80 brand new state-of-the-art, fuel-efficient Embraer E195-E2 aircraft will be added to our fleet to take you to these new destinations.

We are planning to fly our new jets from Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax and Toronto Pearson International Airport, giving you more travel options with us. Destinations will include the west coast, and sunny spots in the southern United States, Mexico and the Caribbean. Our initial set of new routes will be finalized ahead of aircraft deliveries in mid-2022. We look forward to sharing them with you!

You can continue to count on our convenience of Toronto’s downtown Billy Bishop Airport. We will carry on serving you on our regional routes with our De Havilland Dash 8-400 aircraft from our city centre hub.

Embraer E195-E2
Advanced technology from Canada’s aerospace companies are key components of our new Embraer E195-E2, which are the most environmentally-friendly single-aisle aircraft. They are up to 65% quieter and up to 25% cleaner than previous-generation aircraft.

The plane’s interior complements our traditional service, with a passenger-focused design emphasizing space and comfort. Features include only aisle or window seating for every passenger, with no middle seats, plus large overhead bins and windows, and cabin mood lighting.

So, Porter is going transcontinental! They are buying a lot of jets to do this. On the face of it, I don't think this means much for the NB airports, but Halifax will be one of their jet hubs. At the very least though, there will be a lot more options for connecting flights in western Canada and in the USA. Canada now has a third major national airline.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Reposted from the SSP Canada section:

So, Porter is going transcontinental! They are buying a lot of jets to do this. On the face of it, I don't think this means much for the NB airports, but Halifax will be one of their jet hubs. At the very least though, there will be a lot more options for connecting flights in western Canada and in the USA. Canada now has a third major national airline.
Kind of makes me wonder what could have been if they had been able to get approval to fly jets to the downtown Toronto airport even during certain hours of the day. Will be very tough for them to compete with AC out of Pearson I think.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidshader View Post
Kind of makes me wonder what could have been if they had been able to get approval to fly jets to the downtown Toronto airport even during certain hours of the day. Will be very tough for them to compete with AC out of Pearson I think.
Runway is too short. They applied for expanding the length of the runway a few years ago and was denied due to the waterfront owners. They were going to buy some super quiet jets from Bombardier. Every grumbled, then covid started. People who fly Porter love Porter. I don't think the loyal followers will be deterred from a drive to Pearson.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Runway is too short. They applied for expanding the length of the runway a few years ago and was denied due to the waterfront owners. They were going to buy some super quiet jets from Bombardier. Every grumbled, then covid started. People who fly Porter love Porter. I don't think the loyal followers will be deterred from a drive to Pearson.
The issue is more regarding connections I would think. If I fly from Fredericton to Billy Bishop I don't want to then travel to YYZ to connect.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 3:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
The issue is more regarding connections I would think. If I fly from Fredericton to Billy Bishop I don't want to then travel to YYZ to connect.
The point was made on the Canada section that Ottawa will be one of the designated jet hubs for Porter. Since Porter flights from the NB cities are routed to Ottawa on the way to Billy Bishop, Maritimers could use Ottawa as their connection point for flights to the west.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:16 PM

Quote:
The point was made on the Canada section that Ottawa will be one of the designated jet hubs for Porter. Since Porter flights from the NB cities are routed to Ottawa on the way to Billy Bishop, Maritimers could use Ottawa as their connection point for flights to the west.
Like...
Moncton>>Ottawa>>Billy Bishop on a Dash8
Moncton>>Ottawa>>YYZ on a Dash8, then hop on the Embraer E195 jet to go out west.
Moncton>>Ottawa>>on a Dash8, then hop on the Embraer E195 jet to go to Cuba, Mexico, Vegas or where ever.

The main reason I fly Porter to TO was because of the convenience on landing at Billy B. It's a quick shuttle to downtown hotels to catch a Blue Jays game or visit. I would NOT want to land at YYZ.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:27 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
The main reason I fly Porter to TO was because of the convenience on landing at Billy B. It's a quick shuttle to downtown hotels to catch a Blue Jays game or visit. I would NOT want to land at YYZ.
Eh, YYZ is much more accessible these days with UP Express, but obviously Bishop is still preferred.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 4:09 PM

Waited at the UP Express for about an hour, but no train ever came. I couldn't figure out why no people were around, and there was no train in sight. Could not find a ticket booth either. Signs everywhere were touting this wonderful new service beginning on July 22 (or whatever the date was.) Finally I looked at my phone - that day's date was July 20.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 6:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Whoops!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 1:45 AM

Really great to see Flair Airlines expanding their service to Vegas, PHX, Florida and other Sun destinations.

With the low cost flights through YSJ it will make these destinations MUCH more accessible for NB families. I can see a lot NB air traffic taking advantage of this service through YSJ, good for air traffic in the province.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 8:02 PM

Any idea what this is all about?

Quote:
The Government of Canada is making a special announcement at the Fredericton International Airport. Join us on Facebook Live at 10am July 29 to hear all the details!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:12 AM

I was lucky to capture the arrival of this brand spanking new Airbus A220-300 at the Moncton Airport today. When I randomly looked at the Flightradar24 app around noon time, I noticed this bird heading to Moncton without itinerary flight logs, except that it left Montreal. An emergency landing?

I decided to head out and take a look. A surprising amount of other onlookers were showing up and no one knew the reason why it was here. When I arrived at the old terminal, I could see what appeared to be a brand new clean looking Airbus. Zoomed in the windows and couldn't see any passengers, maybe some plastic on the seats.

Went home to research Air Austral. Looks like Airbus has a final assembly factory in Mirabel Quebec and Air Austral is receiving three new Airbus A220-300 to their fleet. https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/air-...rbus-a220-300/

I can only assume Moncton was a pit stop for system checks before crossing the Atlantic to its home in France. That is one nice looking jet, sounded even nicer at takeoff! It wan only in Moncton for one hour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces